Georgia Traverse

• HTML tutorial

Dan Crumpton

Rank II

Contributor III

Hayden, AL
Member #

Is taking on the Georgia Traverse in a single vehicle a bad idea? Of course, I'm not planning to go completely alone, but wondering if being a solo vehicle, Jeep JK, might be a poor idea. From what I've seen, looks like it would not be a problem. Thank you in advance for any advice or feedback.

Reactions: Nickzero

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

Maybe after a big rain, some of the water crossings might make me a little nervous being alone but overall to answer your question no. It is just so much more fun to do it with a group, people go all the time just search around and find a group to go with would be my suggestion.

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

No, mostly gravel roads.
You're well within range of other people most of the trip. A short hike will usually find you someone.
Single vehicle will be just fine.

Reactions: Eric Neal

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

No, mostly gravel roads.
You're well within range of other people most of the trip. A short hike will usually find you someone.
Single vehicle will be just fine.
I agree with Logan. Solo vehicle hasn't been a problem for me. That's actually my preferred mode of travel and camping; just me, wife, dog, owls, birds, butterflies, bugs and wildflowers.

Since I'm a 'local' I frequently take a day or three during mid-week to run-camp but usually select only one or two sections of the Traverse during an outing. Typically not running the route border-to-border (SC-AL or the other way).

I prefer the night sky and wildlife sounds vs lots of ppl chatter and lights flooding the area.

And yes, of course, I'm an old fart so my preferences are much different than most of those I see on this forum. Not that I don't like people but living inside the perimeter of Atlanta tends to make me want to get away from traffic, people, and noise most of the time.

To each h/h own. Enjoy the traverse!

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

This is something I've been considering doing solo either the week before or after OE East in November. I have a feeling it might be a bit crowded though.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

This is something I've been considering doing solo either the week before or after OE East in November. I have a feeling it might be a bit crowded though.
Caisob, I think you might be surprised about the lack of crowds on GA Traverse.

You might find a few small crowds of people in campsites or parked alongside the trout rivers/streams but there are so many miles of roads/trails as well as dispersed campsites which make up the Traverse that you probably won't see more than a few folks but it shouldn't be bad... For example, if you find a campsite you like and if it's full, just drive another 3-5 miles and you'll find one, or more, which are unoccupied. Note that I'm referring back to your comment about "...the week before or after..." which includes only one weekend (a bit more people on weekends) but during the week traffic is MUCH less.

One word of caution regarding "traffic" is that fall (just before and during OB East) timing is during or near deer season so you may see wide variety of vehicles travelling thru any/all of the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA). Some may be just "scouting" others may just be parked and off hunting in the woods. But other than the WMAs traffic and camping is not a problem. However I'm saying this without looking to see dates for hunting season this year vis-a-vis the OB East.

So all you might need to do is look at a map of WMA's in N GA and make plans to camp in areas that are not inside a WMA.

Reactions: CAISOB Taco

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

Caisob, I think you might be surprised about the lack of crowds on GA Traverse.

You might find a few small crowds of people in campsites or parked alongside the trout rivers/streams but there are so many miles of roads/trails as well as dispersed campsites which make up the Traverse that you probably won't see more than a few folks but it shouldn't be bad... For example, if you find a campsite you like and if it's full, just drive another 3-5 miles and you'll find one, or more, which are unoccupied. Note that I'm referring back to your comment about "...the week before or after..." which includes only one weekend (a bit more people on weekends) but during the week traffic is MUCH less.

One word of caution regarding "traffic" is that fall (just before and during OB East) timing is during or near deer season so you may see wide variety of vehicles travelling thru any/all of the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA). Some may be just "scouting" others may just be parked and off hunting in the woods. But other than the WMAs traffic and camping is not a problem. However I'm saying this without looking to see dates for hunting season this year vis-a-vis the OB East.

So all you might need to do is look at a map of WMA's in N GA and make plans to camp in areas that are not inside a WMA.
Thanks! I'm still in the planning stages, and since I do plan on making it to Overland Expo it makes sense to take advantage of the time I'll be in that area.

Reactions: JTW5

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

Hello. Looking to make this trip solo in June. Any tips? Campsites, etc? Thanks, all!
Look online and Call the rangers to get a list of closed roads as there are many on the route, Including the one that most people post photos of ( Tray Mnt to Chimney Mountain Section)

Campsites are pretty easy to come by (for the most part), I wouldn't recommend any of the commercial sites around the GT.
Campsites on the western portion are a little harder to come by once you get outside of Eton.

Gas/Food is pretty easy to access, I like to buy firewood from some of the local stands along the roads.

Out of state fishing license is about $20, then another $8 per day. Lots of stocked trout creeks that you will pass by.

Continue on the western portion over into Alabama and to Little River Canyon. Its about 20-30 minutes further and a nice little drive, plus it will take you over to i59.

DickD1911

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Escambia County, Florida, United States
First Name
Dick
Last Name
DiVittorio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4QKP
Very nice route!
We did it last May.
As mentioned Tray Mnt road just outside Helen was a bit challenging but do-able.
Jacks River Field campground in the Cohutta WMA was our last night befor making it to AL.

Bhinton

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hebron, IN, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Hinton
Member #

I’ve done single vehicle 2 times end to end its simple there are populated areas throughout most of it. But areas also with no cell coverage.

bamabrock

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
H
Member #

We have a group from Birmingham driving the traverse next weekend starting in Tallulah Falls and driving West over two and half days. Any suggestions for campsites?

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

There are dozens upon dozens of campsites available but unless you use one of the "developed" campgrounds indicated on the GA Traverse website you'll fund multiple-vehicle (group) camping a little harder to find. Not impossible just requires more patience, scouting, and planning to set up perhaps a bit earlier than you may typically be comfortable with.

How many rigs do you anticipate in the plan?

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Hottest and most humid time of the year for most of Georgia (late August) but being up in the mountains will help in the evenings.

If you'd like to - Shoot me a note when you're a few days before leaving your home. I'll see if I and maybe my wife can break free for a few days to accompany you. We've done loads of trips in the area but not yet have we reached "enough"! LoL

Reactions: Wanderlost

Bug out 1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

Not trying to hijack a thread but I'm currently running a ZJ on 32's but thought about trying to up the anti and run the Traverse in a CJ5 for a little bit of a challenge. Also thought it might be more fun. Any thoughts? Might not want to try the entire trip, just the most scenic part. And yes I know lack of storage will be a challenge but I love the minimalist idea.

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

Not trying to hijack a thread but I'm currently running a ZJ on 32's but thought about trying to up the anti and run the Traverse in a CJ5 for a little bit of a challenge. Also thought it might be more fun. Any thoughts? Might not want to try the entire trip, just the most scenic part. And yes I know lack of storage will be a challenge but I love the minimalist idea.
If you're concerned about the terrain, you will have no issue.

Shouldn't be too bad storage wise, especially if you wanted to stop along the way at the little stores.

Just do everything east of Ellijay. If you wait until the 12th-13th of OCT you will be passing by when they have the Apple Festival in town, which is neat.

Just pay attention to road closures (FS79 to Chimney Mnt, Dicks creek, etc) and fire bans.

Reactions: DickD1911

Bug out 1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

Cool, thanks. I haven't even bought a CJ yet but its been on my mind to buy a CJ or full-size Bronco as a secondary fun vehicle. The ZJ is great but iv had a CJ7 and an LJ and running trails and camping with with no top was great. I even did a three day trip in a 91 bronco and left the hard top at home. Very lucky it did not rain, but was a blast. Now I just need to find a CJ or Bronco to add to my fleet. Time to plan a trip.

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

Does anyone have a rough estimate how long it would take to go from Burrells Ford Rd to Eton, Ga?
Driving, without stopping to see stuff? Starting at 8am, you should be able to make it to Eton by 8pm that night.
Most all of the "technical" sections are closed or have now been re-graded to proper maintenance levels.
Dicks Creek, which was what you would take from 76 down to Moccasin State park is now closed, permanently. So you're driving more pavement than before.

Normally, we do Eton to Clayton/Dillard as a Friday-Sunday morning trip and stop a good bit.