Rank 0

Contributor I

MD, USA
First Name
DavidAK
Last Name
DavidAK
Hello all,

I'm in MD and have heard George Washington National Forest has great overloading trails. Being new to this, thought I'd ask here for recommendations. I'd like a lengthy OHV trail and also plenty of hiking trails to entertain the dog once we get there. What would be a good trail head to enter the park?

Thanks!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I came up the Washington/Jefferson NF using the Mid Atlantic Backroad Discovery Route as my guide. It’s a mix of dirt, woods and pavement, yet quite a unique drive. Worth checking out! IMHO anyway..

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

In addition to a mapping app, I extensively use the Nat Forest interactive map. Clicking on a feature ( road, campground, etc) opens a window with more info.

Dolly Sods is a good area to check out. Very unique area with lots of hiking trails. There is a fs campground there as well. No dispersed sites within a few miles, though.
The Purple Lizard map folks like that area so much, they include a FS75 ( the road through Dolly Sods) sticker with every map purchased on their website.
Spruce Knob (highest elevation in WV) is also a good area to check out, as is Blackwater State Park in Davis. Most refer to that area as the Canaan Loop for dispersed camping. Very popular area. Get there early (like on Thursday!) to get a nice spot.