Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

We're off to Switzerland next month and have plenty of caches in the GPS to keep us out of trouble.
we clocked up another 30 or so caches on our trip to Basel - Switzerland. Our biggest hurdle was translating the cache information from German (occasionally French) into English. it was a lovely place to visit but Wow! so very expensive.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

You are welcome! I have now been using Cachly for a few months now and still find it amazing to use. I was also just introduced to another app for in-the-field logging of trackables. It's really cool too! The app is called TBScan and allows you to log individual or multiple trackables at the same time in real time. Another feature is that it uses the camera of your iPhone to scan the trackable code for you. It also lets you know in real time if you have already discovered the trackable. The initial app is free but you are limited to discovering or logging up to five? trackables at a time. For $2.99, that restriction is removed as part of the optional upgrade to the "Pro" version. The free version works perfectly well though. It will just take you a few more seconds to easily log i.e. ten trackables. You can also choose to type in the codes manually if you wish, especially on some trackables where the code is almost unreadable with the naked eye. You can try different variations of the code and the app will tell you in real time if it is the right one. It is perfect for attending events where large numbers of trackables will be. I can now easily scan them all, log them and then continue on chatting fellow geocachers. No more writing down codes or taking pictures on my iPhone for later discovering or logging. Apps have come a long way! I highly rate both apps.
I love hearing from other geocachers! It seems like no one seems to be very active out here although there are a TON to find! Ill check out Cachly....hadn't heard of it! Thanks!

Reactions: Sean S

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I love hearing from other geocachers! It seems like no one seems to be very active out here although there are a TON to find! Ill check out Cachly....hadn't heard of it! Thanks!
You are very welcome! I have just returned from a geocaching road trip to El Cajon and Mount Laguna where I finally found California's oldest geocache. It was a super-cool and easy hike through some extremely beautiful areas. No poison oak, no ticks, no rattlers, just sheer awesomeness! If there are no local events happening in your area, then hopefully you will make it to one of the larger mega events happening in your area. I know of two:
Geocoinfest 2017....Welcome Aboard on October 14th and S*W*A*G's Yuma Mega #15 on February 11th of next year. Mega's are a lot of fun and it is not unusual for there to be multiple back-to-back events taking place in various areas surrounding the main mega event. The Yuma Mega is now in its fifteenth year and is very well organized. I am hoping to make it there next year. I almost made it this year but life got in the way. The little that I did attend was absolutely brilliant and so much fun. Geocaching in the Barry M. Goldwater Bombing Range was very cool. A few geocachers that I know kind of well made the following video of their experience playing with the tanks!:

Last edited:
Reactions: Roxxie

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

You are very welcome! I have just returned from a geocaching road trip to El Cajon and Mount Laguna where I finally found California's oldest geocache. It was a super-cool and easy hike through some extremely beautiful areas. No poison oak, no ticks, no rattlers, just sheer awesomeness! If there are no local events happening in your area, then hopefully you will make it to one of the larger mega events happening in your area. I know of two:
Geocoinfest 2017....Welcome Aboard on October 14th and S*W*A*G's Yuma Mega #15 on February 11th of next year. Mega's are a lot of fun and it is not unusual for there to be multiple back-to-back events taking place in various areas surrounding the main mega event. The Yuma Mega is now in its fifteenth year and is very well organized. I am hoping to make it there next year. I almost made it this year but life got in the way. The little that I did attend was absolutely brilliant and so much fun. Geocaching in the Barry M. Goldwater Bombing Range was very cool. A few geocachers that I know kind of well made the following video of their experience playing with the tanks!:
Hey!!! Phil's is only like 60 miles from me!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!! That would make a great trek out there in the Jeep! Plus YUMA looks fun!!! You going, or too early to tell?

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Hey!!! Phil's is only like 60 miles from me!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!! That would make a great trek out there in the Jeep! Plus YUMA looks fun!!! You going, or too early to tell?
You are very welcome! Yes, I hope to go to the next mega.It's a brilliant series of events.

Reactions: Roxxie

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I've dabbled in geocaching. would like to do more of it as soon as budget affords a better gps.
I've never needed anything more fancy than my smart phone, with two apps: c:geo and GPS Status. c:geo is the geocaching app. GPS Status has a radar-like display, and can be launched directly from c:geo, showing you distance and direction to the cache.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

there are some cool themed collections of geocaches. like one set has 15 or so fire lookouts around bc. all different cachers, but collected in one spot. there are collections for themes like old mines, plane crashes, cool summits, pretty much everything. make your own lists too.

11Chuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pine Grove, PA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Lunger
Member #

We've been Geocaching for a while now. New to Overlanding though and Overland Bound. I am really looking forward to combining the two for a great family fun adventure with the kids!

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

We placed 4 Trackables in a container when we were in Switzerland. They were all ours and it was the start of their journeys. Unfortunately a newbie to Geocaching picked up one of them and has managed to lose it within a matter of weeks. He refuses to reply to messages / email to explain or even apologise. Grrrrrr

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
My family was really getting into geocaching until the app updated last year some time and now wants like $30 a year to use most access most of the caches in my area. Am I missing something, as this app was originally a small one time purchase. I really like going out with my son, and he misses it, but I just have a hard time signing up for anything that requires continuous payment for something I don't know how much I'm able to do. Seems like everything is a subscription anymore, and it kind of makes me crazy.

Sorry if I missed a discussion on this or something. I will admit I didn't read the entire thread...

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding