Generator: Honda vs Predator

• HTML tutorial

grumpy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Miami
Member #

I was about to purchase the Honda 2000 because I was impress on how quiet it is, but the cost is about $1000. I came across the Predator which cost half of the price. When you read the specs, the only difference is 3db, and the Predator gives you an extra hour of power. I was wondering if some of you own a predator?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Contributor I

Kosciusko, MS
Member #

I'd be curious as to the comparison myself! Wish I knew someone who had the predator. I've always sworn by honda engines but $1K that's alot of coin when I could possibly have something just as good for half that.

Reactions: Rynus311

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'll take a predator engine over honda any day I'm paying for it. Hondas are solid and the predator is a good clone of it.

I beat the hell out of mine with a longtail kit.

Reactions: Rynus311 and grumpy

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Also, smaller generators are not necessarily quieter than bigger ones. My 4000 peak watt dual fuel generator with a 200cc-ish 7hp engine sounds about the same, if not a hair quieter, than the 2k peak watt gas generator with a 79cc engine that I upgraded from. The little 2 stroke generators still sound like a weed eater set to high idle but you can't beat them on space.

Reactions: grumpy

sledgehomer

Rank 0

Traveler I

My buddy works for Harbor Freight corporate. They were working on this product for almost 2 years before they released it. The homework was done. Buy the extended warranty. Currently they are being sued by Honda because it's so "similar". I won't say it's a clone but I know they buy products, then reverse engineer them and add & tweak what they will in their design.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Preston Tiegs

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Also, smaller generators are not necessarily quieter than bigger ones. My 4000 peak watt dual fuel generator with a 200cc-ish 7hp engine sounds about the same, if not a hair quieter, than the 2k peak watt gas generator with a 79cc engine that I upgraded from. The little 2 stroke generators still sound like a weed eater set to high idle but you can't beat them on space.
Are you talking about the regular generators or inverter type? The generator you usually find has to maintain RPM to keep the proper output frequency so they are generally louder than the inverter types that generate DC power and then use an inverter to create the AC wave-form power. This allows the engine to be throttled so under light load, they produce much less noise than their standard alternator counterparts.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Are you talking about the regular generators or inverter type? The generator you usually find has to maintain RPM to keep the proper output frequency so they are generally louder than the inverter types that generate DC power and then use an inverter to create the AC wave-form power. This allows the engine to be throttled so under light load, they produce much less noise than their standard alternator counterparts.
I was comparing just engines used in the generator, apples to apples, since electronics and electrical demand should behave the same within the generator type. The Predators and Hondas are essentially the same engine with just enough tweaks to limit part compatibility. External dressings like carbs are the same but internals like the cam are slightly different.

If we want to compare apples to peppers, my 4000 peak watt/ 3500 running watt dual fuel conventional is rated at 69 db with gasoline. Those 2000/1600 watt inverters are rated 61 db for the HF and 58 for the Honda. Run mine on propane at an advertised 10% loss in output and noise and I can push twice the watts at about the same db....and mine was $280 shipped.

Just depends on how you expect to use it.

I wanted to be able to run lights, tools and a fan and the smaller ones couldn't do it.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I was comparing just engines used in the generator, apples to apples, since electronics and electrical demand should behave the same within the generator type. The Predators and Hondas are essentially the same engine with just enough tweaks to limit part compatibility. External dressings like carbs are the same but internals like the cam are slightly different.

If we want to compare apples to peppers, my 4000 peak watt/ 3500 running watt dual fuel conventional is rated at 69 db with gasoline. Those 2000/1600 watt inverters are rated 61 db for the HF and 58 for the Honda. Run mine on propane at an advertised 10% loss in output and noise and I can push twice the watts at about the same db....and mine was $280 shipped.

Just depends on how you expect to use it.

I wanted to be able to run lights, tools and a fan and the smaller ones couldn't do it.
Ok. I just didn't quite understand where you were going worth the original comment. I'd bet my $150 80's vintage 8hp Maxa 4kW peak unit makes 80dB sitting unused in the garage. I'd have to have a good run of cord to use it comfortably at a campsite.

I've been considering one of these inverter jobs but I also have to be concerned with how quiet they are electrically since one of my intended uses would be portable amateur radio use.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Ok. I just didn't quite understand where you were going worth the original comment. I'd bet my $150 80's vintage 8hp Maxa 4kW peak unit makes 80dB sitting unused in the garage. I'd have to have a good run of cord to use it comfortably at a campsite.

I've been considering one of these inverter jobs but I also have to be concerned with how quiet they are electrically since one of my intended uses would be portable amateur radio use.
You might want to consider part availability down the road, and local warranty service, you are probably going to have this for many years. I had a honda ex1000 when they first came out, I used it on a cruiser type boat, camping, emergencies. It was a great generator, never an issue, had it for 15+ years, needed more power , sold it on Craigslist in 1 day, doing my research I went with the Yamaha 2000W inverter, the Yamahas life expectancy was over twice the Honda engine. The Yamaha is the same price as the Honda, bought it on the net. It is super clean I run a high end AV system and 2M, CB, marine VHF , and a 20A charger for my 2 group 31 AGM deepcycles with no noise issues at all, super quiet also, excellent fuel economy

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

OUS

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
I just bought a Predator 8750 last week after hurricane Irma left is without power. I did quite allot of research and found that it is marketed by at least five other companies. The engine is either a Choudry or a Jingling(there is some debate about that). In either case spare parts are readily available. After this last week I found that close to 75% of the people around here do not know how to use a generator. They seem to try to start them with low oil. Park then for over a year without putting a fuel stabilizer in them. Run the same plug without enter cleaning or replacing it much less check the gap. Wonder why it won't start after sitting for a year without a maintainer on the battery. Never mind that the owners manual states a break in time and suggest changing the oil after 20 hours. These motors are, regardless of the manufacturer, one and the same and they are as bullet proof as a well maintained motor can be. The final selling point for me was that as I said earlier the spare parts are available in any country on any Continent in the world. Good luck on your choice.
Ted

Big Willy Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Have a Honda 1000 generator-- used it multiple times when power was out at the house-- Very quiet. Fed power enough for fullsize fridge and freezer, multiple box fans and floor lamps, Big Screen LED TV and Sattelite dish, multiple laptops and cell phone chargers. Averaged 8 hours on 1 gallon of gas. DONE!

Blueline

Rank 0

Traveler I

I was about to purchase the Honda 2000 because I was impress on how quiet it is, but the cost is about $1000. I came across the Predator which cost half of the price. When you read the specs, the only difference is 3db, and the Predator gives you an extra hour of power. I was wondering if some of you own a predator?

So, I have a Honda companion. Does anyone know if my Honda with be compatible with a predator? If so, I'll get the cheaper predator and link it with my Honda.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I won a eu2000i in a raffle awhile back and never used it. I have a dual battery setup in my truck that runs the fridge and didn’t have a use for it so I sold it. The last thing I want in the woods is noise. I recently added a solar setup to my rig for extended stays that is pretty awesome and silent. My buddy has a permanent camp on some property and has run the camp on a e2000i for a couple years problem free. He recently bought a predator 3000 to give it a try and it’s also worked well. The first one had issues and returned it to hb and the 2nd one is going strong. The Honda will have significant resale value if you decide that you don’t want a generator if that matters to you. There is a strong resale market that the hb stuff doesn’t have. Depending on what you’re trying to run, I’d look hard at a solar system myself. They’re getting cheaper and more powerful all the time. And most important, silent.

Reactions: OUS