General Grabber X3's vs Rice Peak

• HTML tutorial

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

The FJ recently got some new shoes (General Grabber X3 315/70R17) and I finally got them off the pavement. I've only ever used all terrain tires in the past and I decided it was time to try something a little more aggressive. First impressions are good so far. I expected to hear some tire noise on the highway but it is not bad at all. Turn on the radio to a moderate level and you can't hear the tires at all. The X3s are an E rated tire and were a little firm off road at 35psi. I aired down to 20psi and they road smooth and had plenty of traction. I'm sure I could have gone lower but never felt the need. The first picture is at the top of Rice Peak in the Santa Catalina Mountains north of Tucson AZ. In the book Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails second edition, there is a great write up and we found the book very useful. IMG_5929.JPG
Most of the trail is relatively mild but there are few tight switchbacks that may challenge longer wheelbase vehicles. The last mile of the trail is where things get interesting. It becomes deceptively steep and filled with lots of loose rock. The climb required good ground clearance, low gears, a rear locker, and aired down tires. I never engaged my front locker but I did use the ATRAC. It was on decent that I gained a better appreciation for my new tires. Even with 4:56 gears my low range gears were not low enough to control my decent and I had to rely on my brakes and my tires. All that being said, I never felt any loss of traction on the way down.
IMG_5944.JPG
Its steeper than it looks
IMG_5950.JPG
IMG_5953.JPG
Right about here I was wishing I hadn't procrastinated getting some skid plates
IMG_5955.JPG
I consider myself more or less an amateur offroader. As my skills improve I look forward to finding the limits of my FJ Cruiser...after I buy some skid plates!
IMG_5962.JPGHere's a picture of our camp at the beginning of the trail
IMG_5919.JPG

Attachments

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

great adventure! I too just recently bought the x3s in a 33/12.50/15 flavor. I am kind of bummed they didn't offer the red letter design in this specific size as I love that about general tires. I love general tires tho. ran the red letters on my ram, run the altimax on my wifes compass and my firebird. excited to see how well the new x3 handle and more so how they wear. all the reviews ive read seem to be majorly positive.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I always wanted to run Rice Peak when I lived down in Sierra Vista, but never got around to it. Have you ever ventured further south and run the likes of Gunsight Pass or Gualajote Flats?

Great pictures and nice FJ, by the way

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

I always wanted to run Rice Peak when I lived down in Sierra Vista, but never got around to it. Have you ever ventured further south and run the likes of Gunsight Pass or Gualajote Flats?

Great pictures and nice FJ, by the way
Thanks! I'm fairly new to Arizona and have only run a few trails. I will certainly add those to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

great adventure! I too just recently bought the x3s in a 33/12.50/15 flavor. I am kind of bummed they didn't offer the red letter design in this specific size as I love that about general tires. I love general tires tho. ran the red letters on my ram, run the altimax on my wifes compass and my firebird. excited to see how well the new x3 handle and more so how they wear. all the reviews ive read seem to be majorly positive.
I'm hoping the wear alright. My FJ used to be my daily driver but is now reserved for trail/camping duties!

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Cool. Is that front locker an aftermarket addition? Didn't know if the FJCs came with that option

Looks like a really cool trail and great pics

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

20psi is still pretty firm in my experience with Generals. They will really start to work below 15. Not saying this trail needed it. Just an FYI. I ran mine as low as 12 on a heavier rig with never an issue. (Older red labels) but same tire carcass just different tread. I'm planning to get the X3s when my Toyos wear out.

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

20psi is still pretty firm in my experience with Generals. They will really start to work below 15. Not saying this trail needed it. Just an FYI. I ran mine as low as 12 on a heavier rig with never an issue. (Older red labels) but same tire carcass just different tread. I'm planning to get the X3s when my Toyos wear out.
Good to know, I wasn't sure what the limits are. I seem to get a little braver each time I go out and I enjoy finding out what the FJ likes.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Rim width will be a factor as well. My FZJ80 wheels are 8" wide. Looks like you have aftermarket wheels so I'd wager they are also 8" wide. I've run my Toyo MT/s down to 4psi on a snow run. Again no issue on a 7000lb truck

CopperStar

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

1901 West Germann Road, Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Hey I have been wanting to do that trail for some time now as well! I also live here in Tucson! You said that the highway noise wasn't bad, but what A/T tire did you move from? I am running the 33" KO2's and will be moving to a 35" after the front SAS. How does the Highway noise compare? I do the PHX to Tuscon I10 trip twice a month and I don't want to drown out the passengers.

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

Hey I have been wanting to do that trail for some time now as well! I also live here in Tucson! You said that the highway noise wasn't bad, but what A/T tire did you move from? I am running the 33" KO2's and will be moving to a 35" after the front SAS. How does the Highway noise compare? I do the PHX to Tuscon I10 trip twice a month and I don't want to drown out the passengers.
I was running toyo at's. The noise from X3s is not bad. Load enough to remind you they are there but quite enough you can still have a conversation. I've got about 400 miles on them and I hardly notice it now.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
I talked to curt from cruiser outfitters a little about the x3. He had nothing but good to say. Glad to hear another good review. I'll be putting a set on my tacoma post lift

Nice rig and pics.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: CHILL907