Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hey, was hoping to get a follow up for those that have used it. Still liking it?

Main question- How are y'all transporting them?
I dont have room in my cherokee for it, and was thinking about putting it on my Yakima cross bars some how. Anyone done that??? If so How?
I looked at roof baskets / cargo carriers to go on top, but any that are long enough to fit this tent cost an arm an a leg themselves. So I was curious if anyone strapped it directly onto the factory or Yakima style cross bars and if so how did you do it? (pictures would be appreciated as well, if you have the time)

Thanks
Currently in my 4runner, but my roof rack is ordered and expected in April/May. That will be my preferred method for transport once it is installed. :)

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

Hey, was hoping to get a follow up for those that have used it. Still liking it?

Main question- How are y'all transporting them?
I dont have room in my cherokee for it, and was thinking about putting it on my Yakima cross bars some how. Anyone done that??? If so How?
I looked at roof baskets / cargo carriers to go on top, but any that are long enough to fit this tent cost an arm an a leg themselves. So I was curious if anyone strapped it directly onto the factory or Yakima style cross bars and if so how did you do it? (pictures would be appreciated as well, if you have the time)

Thanks
We love ours. It definitely makes everything a bit closer to glamping than camping. IMG_1315.jpg IMG_1313.jpg

I have the T4, and I typically transport it on my roof secured with a strap to the side of my cheap Reese basket and down to the factory cross bars. It carries well, the only concern I have at times would be rain. I don't know how weather-proof the factory tent cover is, but I haven't had any issues in a small amount of rain.

Otherwise I'll strap it in the back of the LX with one of the second row seats down. IMG_8427.PNG

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

This sleep set up looks awesome. Are you using a regular air mattress?
That picture is with an REI air mattress, but we’ve since replaced that with two Exped MegaMats that we push together. We went that route over the Duo just for flexibility. The Expeds are pricy, but total game changers.

Foggy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

That picture is with an REI air mattress, but we’ve since replaced that with two Exped MegaMats that we push together. We went that route over the Duo just for flexibility. The Expeds are pricy, but total game changers.
Got it, thanks. The Expeds look super comfy. We do something similar with two thermarest inflatables but the height of the Expeds look appealing.

Reactions: Txcoast

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC
Awesome reading all of your comments on these. I watched Michael's video on the Gazelle and love the quick set up. I have always done the light backpacking tents which are cramped and take a while to set up. I initially wanted to go with a roof top tent but my wife gave a definite NO on that. This looks like it will fit the bill. I am heavily leaning towards the T3 as I have a TJ and space it tight. The T4 would fit in my wife's JKU but I want the flexibility. I had been planning on using a queen air mattress but it sounds like that is a very tight fit. I saw talk about Thermarest inflatables and Exped MegaMats. I am not familiar with the last. Could you post some pictures? Do others have additional ideas for mattresses that fit the T3? Thanks for all the info.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

We love ours. It definitely makes everything a bit closer to glamping than camping. View attachment 86627 View attachment 86628

I have the T4, and I typically transport it on my roof secured with a strap to the side of my cheap Reese basket and down to the factory cross bars. It carries well, the only concern I have at times would be rain. I don't know how weather-proof the factory tent cover is, but I haven't had any issues in a small amount of rain.

Otherwise I'll strap it in the back of the LX with one of the second row seats down. View attachment 86624
I actually sent an email to customer support a while ago to find out about the waterproofness and the response was that it is not waterproof but water resistant.

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

I actually sent an email to customer support a while ago to find out about the waterproofness and the response was that it is not waterproof but water resistant.
That’s great to know, I also suppose even if much water got through the bag, it’d need to get through the bottom tent material, which is probably more waterproof.

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
Well, I went ahead and ordered one last night. Looking forward to trying it out.
@Txcoast , did you use any particular straps to strap it down to the crossbars/roof rack?

Thanks again everyone for the replies / suggestions

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

Well, I went ahead and ordered one last night. Looking forward to trying it out.
@Txcoast , did you use any particular straps to strap it down to the crossbars/roof rack?

Thanks again everyone for the replies / suggestions
No, I just used some normal ratchet straps I had laying around to strap it down to the cross bars, and then bungee corded it to the side of the basket. It probably doesn't look super pretty, but I can have the tent untied, off the roof, and set up in no more than 5 minutes.

Actually if you're going to be buying ratchet straps for your roof, I recommend looking at the retractable ones that are available now. Those are what I use for my gas cans, tent, etc that I throw in my roof basket. They work really well, and you don't need to worry about securing the loose ends.

Reactions: BlueRidge150

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
No, I just used some normal ratchet straps I had laying around to strap it down to the cross bars, and then bungee corded it to the side of the basket. It probably doesn't look super pretty, but I can have the tent untied, off the roof, and set up in no more than 5 minutes.

Actually if you're going to be buying ratchet straps for your roof, I recommend looking at the retractable ones that are available now. Those are what I use for my gas cans, tent, etc that I throw in my roof basket. They work really well, and you don't need to worry about securing the loose ends.

Awesome. Thanks!

Reactions: Txcoast

randalljross

Rank IV
Founder 500

Traveler III

San Diego, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Ross
Member #

I used my Gazelle T4 for the first time this weekend. It was quite a change for me as I've always had small backpacking tents. This is really a nice (especially for the money) roomy tent that most people will be able to stand up in and not feel like you are on top of each other. This tent is strictly for car camping, as it is almost a little more than 6 feet long packed up, fit's great in my long bed, but I think most vehicles it would have to go on the roof to be transported if you have more than two folks in the car. There are nice design features and it does go up super fast. The rain-fly and staking the tent take more time than getting it up. I did purchase a foot print to put under it and glad I did, the floor is decent, but not extremely thick. The doors are somewhat on the small side, I was able to squeeze a blown up full size air mattress by bending it, but most "normal" tents, have large access to the tent. The flaps over the doors (that cover the zippers) are two pieces, and I got snagged almost always closing the zippers, the biggest flaw I see is there is the roof doesn't have complete screening over the center of the roof, I could see air around the center, and bugs were definitely getting in as I had a light in the screen basket in the roof.

Overall if you want a large four person tent, for the money, I don't think you can get a better designed tent.
Curious about the comment of the screen allowing bugs in. Anyone else see this? Is this a flaw in one tent or the overall design? Any pictures of this issue? Thanks!

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

can anybody get me dimensions of the T4 when packed up? My RAM Rebel bed is 5' 7.25" to be exact. Advertised length on the T4 is 5' 7.5". Hoping that's box size and not actual packed size and I'll actually be able to fit it in in the truck bed without angling it. Going to be a bummer if just 0.25" prevents straight storage.

Monstertamer02

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Steedman, Missouri, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Droste
Member #

can anybody get me dimensions of the T4 when packed up? My RAM Rebel bed is 5' 7.25" to be exact. Advertised length on the T4 is 5' 7.5". Hoping that's box size and not actual packed size and I'll actually be able to fit it in in the truck bed without angling it. Going to be a bummer if just 0.25" prevents straight storage.
I just measured mine. It is 5' 8", but that may just be the way I have it loaded in the bag.

Reactions: dbungard

GA Traveler

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Georgia
Member #

Thanks. Can it be forcefully compressed to shorter than the 5' 8", or is that dimension fixed/rigid?
dbungard, My Gazelle tent came in yesterday. I can confirm that the tent will fit in the 5'7" bed of a 2019 Ram Rebel with slight compression while closing the tailgate. My bed is sprayed so I don't know how quick that would accelerate wear though.

Reactions: dbungard

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
I no longer have the email address I created my store account. I can message someone that email. I need to change my store account email to buy the Gazelle deal today. Please advise.

Thanks.

Last edited:

rlpetty43

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma
First Name
Roman
Last Name
Petty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC5XJ
I have seen a few speaking about transporting the T4 and I thought I'd share an idea I came up with. Awhile back I had to have my house's sewer line replaced, the plumber had left behind a piece of 8" PVC left over from a cleanout access, anyway it will almost fit inside 8" PVC pipe but not quite, So I think a person could cut a piece to the proper length then cut it in half so a person has two half moon pieces, place hinges on side and latches on the other side, make some end pieces from plywood, kinda make a case. I think by it opening up the tent would fit inside if not the hinge could set up so it leaves a small gap making the pipe just a little larger. This would be handy for me as I could mount the pipe to my trailer and that would keep it out of the direct sunlight and offer protection from the elements, I would like to be able to keep the tent on the trailer even when not on a trip. sorry for the slight sidetrack and long post, I felt it was necessary show what inspired the idea.

Last edited: