Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Which one held up? I thought about getting a Gazelle, but all the "gap in floor" comments made me concerned. I'm considering OzTent Rv4 or RX4
Look at “spring bar style”tents, Kodiak, Spring Bar, White,Duck. It depends on you style of camping. A good 3+ season tent is lower in height and take about15-20 mins to put up, pack up small, weight about 10 lbs. You can’t stand up in them. I am not a a canvas fan. I don’t need a tall tent as I camp in windy areas and a big sail isn’t for me.
The Gazelle are fast to get up but are heavy and are big to pack. Hunters have been car camping for years and have developed some very nice gear. Backpackers and mountaineers also have so very good equipment, it’s all a trade off. The reason I love something is the reason you hate it.
Look at Cabela’s/Bass Pro. Eureka, Big Agnes, North Face, Mountain Hardware, Hilleberg, Black Diamond, Kelly. They all make some good stuff.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

All good advice - I have good 4-season backpacking tent, plan on getting out soon, now that we have snow. I'm in the process of selling my AT Habitat and looking at a few good four season tents to use while I figure out my next rig.

Question regarding your previous post - why do you think most people on this site are infrequent fair-weather campers? I could be wrong, but it seemed like many of the members get out a lot in all kinds of weather.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

All good advice - I have good 4-season backpacking tent, plan on getting out soon, now that we have snow. I'm in the process of selling my AT Habitat and looking at a few good four season tents to use while I figure out my next rig.

Question regarding your previous post - why do you think most people on this site are infrequent fair-weather campers? I could be wrong, but it seemed like many of the members get out a lot in all kinds of weather.
It’s based on what I see and the questions asked here. Many are a bit intimated by spending time camping in the snow, most have never done it. There are plenty that go in the winter most are fair weather, IMO. I see many of the RTT’s that would hate to spend a heavy snow storm. The 270s are great for good weather and rain but deployed in the snow not so much. There are plenty of post from folks that have geared up but not gone out yet. I know I just pissed off a bunch here, to you that I offended, this is a general statement not directed at you.
I have a good 3+ season tent at I use most of the time. I don’t like using my 4 season when I don’t have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stomper4x4

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

It’s based on what I see and the questions asked here. Many are a bit intimated by spending time camping in the snow, most have never done it. There are plenty but many are fair weather, IMO. I see many of the RTT’s and would hate to spend a heavy snow storm in one. The 270s are great for good weather and rain but deployed in the snow not so much.I know I just pissed off a bunch here, to you that I offended, this is a general statement not directed at you.
I agree with you on the lack of winter camping folks here - lot of people talk about winterizing and putting away their gear for the winter. My wife does not love winter camping so I usually go with a friend or two during the cold months, though with the Propex heater, I have managed to get her out when it is 20F or so.

It was more the comment about being infrequent. Like I said, I have no data on this, just interested in the demographics, characteristics, habits, etc. of this community.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Which one held up? I thought about getting a Gazelle, but all the "gap in floor" comments made me concerned. I'm considering OzTent Rv4 or RX4
We have the JetTent 25x by Oztent. I’ve just ordered the Tepui RTT Ruggedized. Currently we don’t go out often enough, but when we do go we encounter everything from blazing heat down to the teens, along with lots of miles on washboard roads and technical 2 tracks. You can’t go wrong with the Oztent, as long as you have the rack space to carry it.. We’ll be keeping ours just in case the Tepui doesn’t work out. In all reality it takes no less than 45 mins to fully deploy and stake out the jet tent in perfect conditions. Then set the cots and bedrolls up. RTT? 10 minutes and crawl into bed

Reactions: Berkshires

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hmmm, I've read almost all of the reviews here and else where and cannot help but wonder out loud, "for less than 400 bucks, how good can it possibly be?" We've had a multitude of tents over the years and paid about that much for them and all but one, the most expensive one, has held up to our travels and camping style.
No doubt there are other brands of tents that will last as long or just as good as Gazelle if your talking wear and tear. The reason I rate Gazelle t3 as being the best is mainly for two important to me fratures thst I have not found in other tents. #1 reason is the 90 second put up as I cannot handle the put up efforts required by other good tents. Take down is the other part of that. I'm not an acrobat any more.

#2 reason is the volumn inside the tent being that it is almost a straight walled tent. The height is a major plus point as I can stand up in my tent without my head hitting the ceiling in about 60% of the floor area. I have a bad back and bending over exaggerates the pain in my back. If I'm down on the ground I have a hard time getting up without pain so that is a third point I can add. I can put a full size cot in it with ease, store my gear under it which also provides insulation for the cold as well.

So, it may not be for everyone but it fits my needs better than any other tent that I researched before buying my tent. If not for the added weight I would have bought the t4 version because I like space.

For my added space requirements I also have a Quictent privacy 8x8 enclosed pop up (cost me $169.00) that I can put up with a little help from others and if I plan to stay in one place for 3 or more days.
Stay young and healthy at heart my OB
comrades. Go camping !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

I agree with that statement. "Fair weather" is a bad judgemental call. I know quite a few AVID campers who CANT go camping, hiking, hunting or fishing as often as they would like due to other OBLIGATIONS, but they are as proficient as anyone. How often WE do anything doesn't earn the negative term of "fair weathered" !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Most here are fair weather campers, or don’t get out but a couple time per year. At the Expo I heard a vendor say, “ most this stuff will used a couple time per year and often at a KOA”. It was a novel statement me. There is a fashion component in overlanding.
I resent your comments, they lack evidence of support. @Lanlubber

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We love our Gazelle simply for the speed, and overall interior space. While travelling we seldom seem to make camp before the crack of dusk, being able to have the tent, cots, sleeping gear and dog bed all set up within 10 minutes is big deal. Well worth the tents major downside, its gargantuan size and weight. We have a Thule coffin box on the roof that nicely holds the tent, cots and sleeping gear, dry and out of the way and not taking up interior space. Also have a large Big Agnes dome tent with attached 'garage' that we use if we will be camping for several days in one space, and a REI half dome backpacking tent that almost disappears when packed up that we use for motorcycle trips and hiking. Much like tools, there is no one size fits all option. All of our tents are high quality, do the job they are designed for and seem to be holding up well

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I resent your comments, they lack evidence of support. @Lanlubber
You be you. I apologized for pissing you off at my reply. I stand by my statement, go to a trade route in your area (the one everybody goes to), is it easier to find a dispersed camp site in February, March or in July, August? We are a random sample of campers and there are many more campers when the weather is nice. Even in the west where is great a lot of the time. After the new years I’ll be able to pick most any campsite most places for a couple of months, JTree being the exception. Those Canadians will be out there at 0 be it C or F degrees. I am speaking in generalities.

There are plenty of great campers that are neck deep in life, kids, sports, paying the bills, a spouse, all that. I get it. Life gets in the way of our passions. Your still a weekend warrior, a very capable one but still. I was one or years.
If I pissed you off, I apologize, I stand by my statements.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You be you. I apologized for pissing you off at my reply. I stand by my statement, go to a trade route in your area (the one everybody goes to), is it easier to find a dispersed camp site in February, March or in July, August? We are a random sample of campers and there are many more campers when the weather is nice. Even in the west where is great a lot of the time. After the new years I’ll be able to pick most any campsite most places for a couple of months, JTree being the exception. Those Canadians will be out there at 0 be it C or F degrees. I am speaking in generalities.

There are plenty of great campers that are neck deep in life, kids, sports, paying the bills, a spouse, all that. I get it. Life gets in the way of our passions. Your still a weekend warrior, a very capable one but still. I was one or years.
If I pissed you off, I apologize, I stand by my statements.
Apology accepted but not your assessment or the word "most here" meaning OB members in general.

I think the gap in the floor is overstated. I said that, but it's not exactly what you would picture.

Gazelle has a tub style floor. So the floor goes up the sides about 6" or so.
The entire circumference is velcro to the sides of the tent. That is actually good. You can pull away the floor and sweep out dirt easily.

At the corners, the poles come through that velcro area and there is a gap there- the "hole" where i've had ants crawl in.
I plan to put a piece of tape over it if I can't get the velcro to seal effectively.

For the price, can't complain really. It really is a very good tent. It is a quality product. You can feel that it is made well.
There are drawbacks, as with anything.
It's hard on the internet because things can be taken as big issues, when they may be very minor or something not even noticed by some.

Advturin

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Pasadena
First Name
Turin
Last Name
Atol
Member #

I ordered my T4 overland tent yesterday from here! I vacillated between that and the regular T4 but determined the HD bag, stakes and footprint were worth the extra money (barely though). My reason is twofold for this tent. One I want to stand up not just for camping but also when at the motorcycle track so I can change in to my leathers. The other is speed of assembly. I do a lot of travel on my motorcycle where everything you buy is small and light so I am usually looking at the ultra back backing section. Now that I am dipping in to the 4 wheel travel (just got a Jeep WJ, in the process of building it up) I can carry a bigger tent. In my research for price quality and ease of use, the Gazelle T4 I can't beat it. Yes its collapsed size is big but that directly relates to the quick and easy set up. Like anything else in the world, you can't have it all in one package. I will report back once I get my hands on it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I ordered my T4 overland tent yesterday from here! I vacillated between that and the regular T4 but determined the HD bag, stakes and footprint were worth the extra money (barely though). My reason is twofold for this tent. One I want to stand up not just for camping but also when at the motorcycle track so I can change in to my leathers. The other is speed of assembly. I do a lot of travel on my motorcycle where everything you buy is small and light so I am usually looking at the ultra back backing section. Now that I am dipping in to the 4 wheel travel (just got a Jeep WJ, in the process of building it up) I can carry a bigger tent. In my research for price quality and ease of use, the Gazelle T4 I can't beat it. Yes its collapsed size is big but that directly relates to the quick and easy set up. Like anything else in the world, you can't have it all in one package. I will report back once I get my hands on it.
I look at my tent as my escape from the environment. I may have to live in it literally for a few days in bad weather. I want height more than anything else. I think the t4 (standard or expanded version) is an excellent choice, I just wish I could handle the weight. It's not a tent for someone with health or age issues, that I can attest too.

Reactions: MOAK

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I'm not sure what the "gap in the floor" issue is. Our T4 is well sealed and we haven't had any issues, even when accidentally camped on top of a bunch of ant holes (ants were not happy).
Several comments and this thread and a number of reviews on Amazon mention gaps at the four corners where the poles meet the floor.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I look at my tent as my escape from the environment. I may have to live in it literally for a few days in bad weather. I want height more than anything else. I think the t4 (standard or expanded version) is an excellent choice, I just wish I could handle the weight. It's not a tent for someone with health or age issues, that I can attest too.
Yup & yup,, a broken rib clued me in to how heavy our tent really is ( 70+ lbs) . I always figured getting it up on the roof rack was the same as getting a bale of hay up there and a small price to pay for the comforts of a large “stand up in” tent. I’m seven years older now and it has run it’s course and may be up for sale soon.

We go camping regularly, depending on how busy life gets. Been that way for before it was called "overlanding".
I still call it camping.

Socal is nice, You go to the mountains in the summer and deserts in the winter. You can choose to camp in the snow, or not.
There is no off-season for camping. It's year round and more about schedules and good times to visit different topographies.

Gazelle tent is durable and well made. It will last and for the price, great buy.
I did the rooftop tent and disliked it. I had a Autohome Columbus and Maggiolina, which is still one of the best. Made in Italy, very well constructed.

Gazelle is relatively lightweight and you can stand up and huge amount of room.
If you're a run-n-gun camper, moving every day, or in the snow/rain a lot,
than a roof tent would be easier.

I agree with you on the lack of winter camping folks here - lot of people talk about winterizing and putting away their gear for the winter. My wife does not love winter camping so I usually go with a friend or two during the cold months, though with the Propex heater, I have managed to get her out when it is 20F or so.

It was more the comment about being infrequent. Like I said, I have no data on this, just interested in the demographics, characteristics, habits, etc. of this community.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think the gap in the floor is overstated. I said that, but it's not exactly what you would picture.

Gazelle has a tub style floor. So the floor goes up the sides about 6" or so.
The entire circumference is velcro to the sides of the tent. That is actually good. You can pull away the floor and sweep out dirt easily.

At the corners, the poles come through that velcro area and there is a gap there- the "hole" where i've had ants crawl in.
I plan to put a piece of tape over it if I can't get the velcro to seal effectively.

For the price, can't complain really. It really is a very good tent. It is a quality product. You can feel that it is made well.
There are drawbacks, as with anything.
It's hard on the internet because things can be taken as big issues, when they may be very minor or something not even noticed by some.
This was addressed with the T4- Overland and the new T4 plus. The Velcro seals a lot better.

Reactions: Old Tanker

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
As for the Gazelle Tents being a 1 or 2 season tent, I think not... it’s the first tent besides my guide tent that I’m comfortable in the snow with... again due to the tub floor I’m not afraid to run a stove all night in it.