Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

May 19th I was in a motorcycle accident leaving me with a spinal fusion and no use of my legs. I currently have a RTT that will be taken off my 80 and probably get some boxes to strap to the rack to clear some room inside the back.

Is anyone currently using a gazelle with a wheelchair? I’d like a tent I could roll in and park my chair in as well.

I’m in no rush as I don’t even get discharged from inpatient physical rehab until the end of the month. As you can imagine I’m chomping at the bit to get strong enough to lift myself in my 80 and see anything but my hospital room.

Attachments

Reactions: Paul Greczi

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My T8 is not wheelchair accessible. It has a man door on each end. The T4+ is a possibility with it's screened in section.
Yea the screen room is wheel chair accessible. And the separation door is large enough to access the sleep area with a wheel chair. However setting up the T4+ might be kind of hard for someone in a wheel chair. The front of the screen room is supported by 3 fiberglass poles that I even struggle putting in at times.

Reactions: kunstmilch

SugarFreeShooter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Powell, OH, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PRJ
My Dad uses a Eureka Copper canyon 4 person tent that is slower to set up than my Gazelle, but much more spacious and easy to get in to. The door is certainly wide enough for a wheelchair, and it would have plenty of room to transfer from a wheelchair to a cot. the only issue I could forsee might be putting the rainfly on because it might be hard to reach over an almost 7ft tent.
Best of luck in the recovery, and I hope you can get out soon!

Reactions: 9Mike2

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Wow, man... sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you'll be back in the great outdoors soon!

Off Trail Yeti

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Bonsall, CA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Rehder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7DUG
We have been using the OZTent RV-5 for Susie's wheelchair access. The door opens up very wide and the bottom portion can be flattened down so we can push the wheelchair into the Oztent.
The RV-5 is large and we can fit the wheelchair, two sleeping cots and a portable toilet with just enough room to get dressed and move around. I looked into the Gazelle but right away I knew the doorway entry would not work for wheelchair access. RV-5 is very simple to setup and takes no more than 10 minutes or less to fully setup with stakes.

IMG_20181230_091247.jpg

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Paul Greczi

Rank IV

Advocate III

Kitchener-Waterloo, ON, Canada
First Name
Serendipity
Last Name
Explorer
Member #

May 19th I was in a motorcycle accident leaving me with a spinal fusion and no use of my legs. I currently have a RTT that will be taken off my 80 and probably get some boxes to strap to the rack to clear some room inside the back.

Is anyone currently using a gazelle with a wheelchair? I’d like a tent I could roll in and park my chair in as well.

I’m in no rush as I don’t even get discharged from inpatient physical rehab until the end of the month. As you can imagine I’m chomping at the bit to get strong enough to lift myself in my 80 and see anything but my hospital room.
I hear you! Unfortunately I had an accident and lost my leg working to get my strength back as well. The wonderful thing is how positive you are to drive on maybe we are different because of loving nature.
Thank you for your inspiration God bless you