louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
You must be a big Obama fan, since he presided over the biggest oil boom ever.
i spent many years doing oil exploration in the gulf of mexico and around the world....you dont know what youre talking about
this is why people will not ever be able to have a sensible conversation about anything...especially any subject where their only source of information is from watching a few minutes of cnn or fox news before heading off to their cubicle for rest of the day

the OP mentioned a gas savings for anyone local and interested....probably best to thank him and move on...

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Sure, it might just be a coincidence.

Like 2008 and 1977 were.
Well, oil production is up and drilling permits are up, outpacing the previous administration. And the chart is a misrepresentation. You might want to look into the actual causes of oil crises.

Wait what?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Alright, well enjoy your fake news and debunked Facebook memes
Enjoy keeping your head in the sand and voting Dem. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon (joke intended) to see that things across the Country, and Globe are in a far worse place than just a year ago. It doesn't take much to see that the direction places like San Francisco, LA and really all of CA are headed isn't good. You can explain it away however you want, but the simple truth is Dem policies do not work. The truth is the things Dem claim to be about "feel" right, but they never actually deliver on any of those promises. If you look at the Dem super-majorities the communities they claim to care about are the most deeply and negatively impacted. There are only two possible reasons: a) either Dems are really, really, really, really bad at fixing problems or b) Dems intentionally subjugate those communities, ensuring they are poor, uneducated and dependent on social systems in order to keep them voting for the party of big Gov and handouts in perpetuity. Either is a great reason NOT to ever vote Dem, but I think we all know it's the latter case, as the Democratic Party has been, and will always be the party of racism and slavery. To me, that is pure evil. And we're seeing the results of that evil and those selfish, shortsighted policies right now.

-TJ

• Haha
Reactions: WilhelmB and MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You're wasting your time. He likely thought WW3 was coming from the last admin......and look where we are now.

Everything overlanding, is worse this year.

Than..........well.......ever. Can't cross borders. Can't afford fuel. My tires have been at sea for 6 months now. A Honda dirtbike is well over $10,000. Inflation is likely going to be triple my raise this year. DOT has shutdown many of the professional drivers, so the highways are a death trap from noobs. I have to restock my pantry with insane amounts of canned goods. My overlanding buddy died from the vaccine. There's cyanide in my dogs food. And you can forget about group camping anywhere people will notice.

It's been great. Sounds like an overlandy country song.
" Aaaaaaaaaall my frieeeeeends are deeeeead, and my dooooooooog smells like cyyyyyyyyyyyyanide."

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

The price and availability of energy is NOT politics.

It's business, and it's National security.

People who MAKE it politics do so to end the conversation, because they will lose the argument.

The price of dog food isn't political, but somehow the price of energy is? We simply can't afford this childish bickering right now. We need to all get together and demand that ALL options are important to stop financing the killing of children and invasion of borders and that means ALL borders.

Drill baby, drill.
If you want to make it business, it should then be pointed out that the Keystone pipeline is up and running, and has been since 2011. The Keystone XL expansion project is the piece that was denied, and would have no bearing on U.S. oil independence as the pipeline was intended to send tar sands crude to the gulf coast for export to other countries. That would neither make the U.S. energy independent or reduce the Brent index pricing of oil.

U.S. oil production has already been increased, and will continue to increase in 2022. However, oil companies base gas prices on futures based on the Brent, and if they can increase their profits based on that, they will every time.

Last edited:

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Recession. In 5....4....3....
Thread shutdown in 5....4....3....
Maybe we can keep that from happening by turning the conversation around. I don’t know how. There’s nothing we can do about it and having arguments and complaining about it won’t help. Maybe we could just focus on what kind of trips we have to plan around the fuel prices. Helpful tips on how to save gas? Maybe we can put our heads together and make an engine system that can run on something other than gas/diesel. Too far? Lol

Reactions: MOAK

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

Maybe we can keep that from happening by turning the conversation around. I don’t know how. There’s nothing we can do about it and having arguments and complaining about it won’t help. Maybe we could just focus on what kind of trips we have to plan around the fuel prices. Helpful tips on how to save gas? Maybe we can put our heads together and make an engine system that can run on something other than gas/diesel. Too far? Lol
That would be great. Maybe a feature could be added to the OB app that shows current gas prices (even though I believe there are other apps that do that). For example I was in Death Valley a week ago, and I saw that fuel prices at the station in Furnace Creek was $7.50 gal and 25 miles further in Stovepipe Wells was $5.50 gal.

Well, oil production is up and drilling permits are up, outpacing the previous administration. And the chart is a misrepresentation. You might want to look into the actual causes of oil crises.

And the moon is made of cheese!!

Reactions: MidOH

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Drilling permits are up is red herring. From the time a fed permit is issues, it can take 2-3 years to get all the rest of the permits before drilling begins. If and only if they hit a good enough well, the task becomes setting up a supply chain to get the product to a pipeline and off to a refinery. This alone can take over a year.

The lag time is years, not months. When oil prices fell, producers shut down a lot of wells in order to bank the oil until prices go up. I grew up in the oil patch and have family who were VPs of some of the largest oil companies back in the day. It is all a gamble by the oil companies to predict in advance what is going to be happening and have the right plan it place.

Refining is a serious roadblock. In normal conditions, we have very little excess refining capability, so when a spike hits, it isn't like they can magically open the tap and produce a whole lot more. You may not know, but it is a very short time from the time the crude comes out of the ground until it hits the streets. The big tank farms you see in West Texas represent only a couple of days of production.

T4R13

Rank IV

Traveler III

Lewis County, West Virginia, United States
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Schriner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8VAF
It’s due to all the (tree)huggers that apparently have nothing to do with petroleum that you can thank. As if there battery cars don’t have gear oil, trans fluid and they heat there house with 100% electric and use nothing that’s a petroleum bi product like anything made of plastic. You know bc lithium mining for all the batteries is good for the Enviormental right? NOT. There hurting many people in my industry and the consumers. Which is everyone in the world. Hippocrates. Gas companies need to band together and shit off every valve they have, it would cause country/world wide panic inside of 24 hours

Reactions: MidOH

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If we were energy independent, and a net EXPORTER, like we were 15 months ago, and the Keystone pipeline was up and running it would be more like it was 15 months ago.

View attachment 225190
Oh stop, somebody might think what you write is true. 15 mos ago we were in the middle of a pandemic and not much communing was being done, thereby, good old fashioned supply & demand economics. The XL was going to be used to move tar sands oil to the gulf for export, not for US consumption. The primary reason our oil production is not what it was in its prime, coincidentally during the Obama years, is because the price of oil dropped. If the oil companies cannot make a profit, they’ll shut a well down. Presidents have very little to do with the price of gasoline/diesel at the pump. It is a free market enterprise with cost dependent upon supply, demand & speculation. Currently, speculation is the over riding cause of oil to be higher. Oh, BTW, I didn’t blame Bush when fuel spiked up over 4.11 a gallon back in 2008. With inflation it would be right around 5.29 a gallon. It sucks, I know, we’re taking a trip next month and fuel is going to cost $500 more than we planned. Good luck, Peace out. Take the time to read this. It’s not political, never had been, It Is Business https://stocks.apple.com/AlGqMhhJDSbS9S3MLKo2O8w

Last edited:

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

That would be great. Maybe a feature could be added to the OB app that shows current gas prices (even though I believe there are other apps that do that). For example I was in Death Valley a week ago, and I saw that fuel prices at the station in Furnace Creek was $7.50 gal and 25 miles further in Stovepipe Wells was $5.50 gal.
This is a great idea @Michael

Users could also update any station when passing by. Probably need to date every record as to not lay claim to current rates etc.

Reactions: JacksonRL

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Yeah you’re right. I’m already replanning some trips because of it. I don’t want to be a prepper, but I had to buy some extra because I’m afraid it’s only going to get worse this summer. But the fuel that I purchased won’t last me long at all - about 11 full tanks worth. Every trip is going to have to be somewhat local. The Cape Lookout trip is going to hurt.
It has already gone (cape lookout trip) from about $175 to $400+ for us. That's at today's prices. If it goes over $6, we may have to cancel. It's not just the fuel, but EVERYTHING is going crazy expensive. I fully expect the ferry price to double from $85 when we get there.
-Dan

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC

Users could also update any station when passing by. Probably need to date every record as to not lay claim to current rates etc.
Maybe something that could be integrated into the map. This would be helpful when mapping out a route - planning a trip.

Reactions: WTSMatt and KAIONE

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Maybe something that could be integrated into the map.
Agreed 100%. Gas station here and fuel price when you were there. Great idea.

Reactions: JacksonRL
Status
Not open for further replies.