Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Maybe we can keep that from happening by turning the conversation around. I don’t know how. There’s nothing we can do about it and having arguments and complaining about it won’t help. Maybe we could just focus on what kind of trips we have to plan around the fuel prices. Helpful tips on how to save gas? Maybe we can put our heads together and make an engine system that can run on something other than gas/diesel. Too far? Lol
If I keep the cruise control on 68mph I get between 11-12 mpg. At that rate our next trip to the southwest will cost $500 more than normal. If I keep the cruise at 62 and under, it’ll garner 14-15 mpg which will save a hundred bucks or so. That’s my plan & Im sticking to it.

DocAldo

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I find it funny, here in SOCAL I get passed on the 5 or 805 by some tree hugger doing their part for green house gasses.

Meaning that little Prius with it's little gas hugger motor is ripping it's guts out keeping up it FELONY 80 too 85, 15 plus over the state mandated 65. Do they really think that they are helping do their part at those speeds?

On top of that hybrid cars are actually a BIGGER ECOLOGICAL DISASTER than GAS. Reason being that the batteries NEVER GO AWAY, but instead get buried in some TOXIC LANDFILL where they remain for eternity... Great job tree huggers. Lol

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Do we ignore the fact that oil revenues have gone waaaaay up since last year? Exxon-57%, chevron-84%, shell-49%, BP-45%, How about the 440 billion in government subsidies the oil companies have taken? How about the 9100 active drilling permits that are not being used? How about that 90% on US oil is drilled on private land? The current administration has granted 34% more permits than the last administration. The Keystone wouldnt even be up and running until at least 2023. Presidents do not make short term fluctuations in oil prices. Sure, policies can have long term influences but not near term. The cause is from Covid, production decreasing to keep stakeholders dividends high and now producers not wanting to diminish their profits. All this political BS is infuriating! Its simple supply and demand. Profits over all else. Guaranteed that in that past administration was the current one the price at the pump would be the same.

Reactions: MOAK and JacksonRL

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
But to back out of politics I am finding myself walking more to places I would of typically driven. I recently had my Overland rig/DD out of service in my driveway while waiting for a part. I walked the 2 miles to the shopping center I needed to go to for groceries (beer). I plan on just walking more to do things I normally would drive to do. I 100% realize this option does not work for everyone in every circumstance but it does for me and thats my solution. Save my fuel for when i actually need it.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Do we ignore the fact that oil revenues have gone waaaaay up since last year? Exxon-57%, chevron-84%, shell-49%, BP-45%, How about the 440 billion in government subsidies the oil companies have taken? How about the 9100 active drilling permits that are not being used? How about that 90% on US oil is drilled on private land? The current administration has granted 34% more permits than the last administration. The Keystone wouldnt even be up and running until at least 2023. Presidents do not make short term fluctuations in oil prices. Sure, policies can have long term influences but not near term. The cause is from Covid, production decreasing to keep stakeholders dividends high and now producers not wanting to diminish their profits. All this political BS is infuriating! Its simple supply and demand. Profits over all else. Guaranteed that in that past administration was the current one the price at the pump would be the same.
And yet here we are. In a perfectly predictable pattern.

Just thirty eight months to go. Wonder how much worse it'll get. When it reaches $11 a gallon and every factory furnace gets shut off, how ya'll going to feel then.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
This is one of the reason I like to get out with Alice and disconnect from the news, fake news, made up news, peoples news views, people who make new news from the news, the new, newsers and all the other versions of the news( i mean really!)…

If I have to save somewhere else in the household so I can afford a couple more bucks for gas I will.. not being submerged in the news chaos and lefty-righty’s is so you know, nice… Just me, my rig and my dog and and our great open spaces.

Having an app that showed gas prices would be nice. Is there one that already does that that anyone is using?

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
This is one of the reason I like to get out with Alice and disconnect from the news, fake news, made up news, peoples news views, people who make new news from the news, the new, newsers and all the other versions of the news( i mean really!)…

If I have to save somewhere else in the household so I can afford a couple more bucks for gas I will.. not being submerged in the news chaos and lefty-righty’s is so you know, nice… Just me, my rig and my dog and and our great open spaces.

Having an app that showed gas prices would be nice. Is there one that already does that that anyone is using?
Man, that’s the truth.

Yeah there are a few. Gasbuddy and Gasguru are the ones I know.

Reactions: KAIONE

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire

I use GasBuddy and try to report the prices to keep the app updated.

Reactions: KAIONE and Advtres

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This is all about the gas guys looking at the lumber guys and saying

"Hold my beer and watch this"

• Haha
Reactions: John Bishop

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire

Just thirty eight months to go. Wonder how much worse it'll get. When it reaches $11 a gallon and every factory furnace gets shut off, how ya'll going to feel then.
Well I’ll feel fine as it would not get to that point. Measures are being taken to lower the price by releasing reserves, pressuring OPEC to increase supply, etc. There is already legislation in process to inhibit price gouging on fuel as well as other basic necessities. If fuel to begin to creep to those levels there’s a snowballs chance n hell either party woukd allow that. It’s political suicide. All the doom and gloom about a democrat in the Oval Office is exhausting. It’s late stage capitalism. Corporate greed feeds off political division and global unrest.

Reactions: Dairyland Overland

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Okay, I’ll wade into the fray…
1. Yes, Gasbuddy is a useful app; it can help you decide where to fill up the tank for the least $$ along your route. Research ahead to determine the cheapest locations. Buy gas in Lee Vining, CA? Fuggitaboutit! The station at the end of June Lake Loop is typically $0.30 or so cheaper per gallon. But you wouldn’t know that if you didn’t do your homework.
2. As stated by @MOAK, slow down and use cruise control to improve gas mileage. Also, accelerate slower and on the highway, coast the downhills. A lot of vehicles have a display that shows when you’re operating in economy mode; try to keep it there as much as possible. Ease up, Leadfoot!
3. Plan your trips and routes to be as efficient as possible. Direct routes, easier topography, highways vs. stop and go through towns and stop for supplies along the route rather than making a separate trip later. No unnecessary trips.
4. Keep your vehicle in optimal condition - tires properly inflated, maintenance up to date, etc.
5. Reduce rig weight by packing lighter, bringing less optional items, and carrying less water if you’ll be in a campground where it’s readily available. Liquids are heavy! If your RV has grey/black water tanks, empty them before extended drives.
6. Anticipate and accept the pain at the pump. Calculate the cost into your budget and if it’s untenable, stay closer to home.
Finally, turn off the TV, Twitter, or whatever medium is feeding your anxiety. Take a walk with your dog, spend quality time with family or friends, read a book, wash/detail your truck - whatever gets your mind off this subject for a few hours. RELAX. We will adapt and overcome and eventually triumph. We’re overlanders, right?
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view, May your mountains rise into and above the clouds."

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
1. Yes, Gasbuddy is a useful app; it can help you decide where to fill up the tank for the least $$ along your route. Research ahead to determine the cheapest locations. Buy gas in Lee Vining, CA? Fuggitaboutit! The station at the end of June Lake Loop is typically $0.30 or so cheaper per gallon. But you wouldn’t know that if you didn’t do your homework.
2. As stated by @MOAK, slow down and use cruise control to improve gas mileage. Also, accelerate slower and on the highway, coast the downhills. A lot of vehicles have a display that shows when you’re operating in economy mode; try to keep it there as much as possible. Ease up, Leadfoot!
3. Plan your trips and routes to be as efficient as possible. Direct routes, easier topography, highways vs. stop and go through towns and stop for supplies along the route rather than making a separate trip later. No unnecessary trips.
4. Keep your vehicle in optimal condition - tires properly inflated, maintenance up to date, etc.
5. Reduce rig weight by packing lighter, bringing less optional items, and carrying less water if you’ll be in a campground where it’s readily available. Liquids are heavy! If your RV has grey/black water tanks, empty them before extended drives.
6. Anticipate and accept the pain at the pump. Calculate the cost into your budget and if it’s untenable, stay closer to home.
Finally, turn off the TV, Twitter, or whatever medium is feeding your anxiety. Take a walk with your dog, spend quality time with family or friends, read a book, wash/detail your truck - whatever gets your mind off this subject for a few hours. RELAX. We will adapt and overcome and eventually triumph. We’re overlanders, right?
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view, May your mountains rise into and above the clouds."
Agreed. Especially the paragraph about TV. This past month I watched about 4 hours of TV, Andy Griffith, Mash and an episode of the Queens Gambit. Maybe another 2-3 hours of you tube. Television, unless extraordinarily selective is a horrible place to get news & information.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

Gotta know, were you tootin the same horn in 2008? I was trucking back then and keenly remember diesel hitting 5.00 a gallon here in PA. What pattern are you referring to? Oh that’s right, the pattern of pandemics, supply, demand, speculation & profit. It’s business. Get used to unregulated free markets. Fuel will only go as high as the market will bear, just as it did in 2008, just before the crash. People will conserve, they cannot afford not to, demand will drop, the price will drop. Yes supply & demand are a very familiar pattern in an unregulated free market.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

With the soaring gas prices, regular unleaded (87 octane) here in SD is hovering at $6.59 ish for cash transactions...and this is for ARCO, ouch, but there is some light for BAJA expeditions.

Fpr ARCO and BP, not sure of 76 and Chevron, are exchanging 20 Pesos / DLLR, so a gallon being just under 4 liters (3.78). A liter down here is 20 Pesos/liter and change, so a US gallon is roughly 60 Pesos / $4 and change. Is it worth the border wait??? All members always have a safe place to park and stay if you wish to make it an over nighter.

Doug 31046
On trail comm's - CB, Dig.FM/UHF/VHF "DocAldo"
775-870-5411

My rigs.
2008 Ram 1500 "the Mexican Black Bird."
and my 2022 Power Wagon just became my new work in progress..just waiting to transform

Doug A.
US Army Ret. 1st SOCOM, "Sine Pari"
Wounded Warrior Project, San Diego Chapter Alumni
University of Arizona Alumni (Historian)

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

"Who Dares Wins"...
"Speed, Surprise, and Violence of Action"...
Friends,

I came to this community to really avoid the divisions in our society and to find community with people of similar interests. The price of gasoline is a complex issue, with complex causes, most of which are out of the control of any administration. All the best.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Agreed. Especially the paragraph about TV. This past month I watched about 4 hours of TV, Andy Griffith, Mash and an episode of the Queens Gambit. Maybe another 2-3 hours of you tube. Television, unless extraordinarily selective is a horrible place to get news & information.
Amen! I re-watched Longmire, as I’m also reading the books. They’re very good; the opposite of “woke” and often very humorous.
YouTube, too. Paul on FabRats is working on not only the FJ, but that sweet ‘67 Firebird he found. It’s beautiful (even though the interior smells like mice ). I also enjoy Robby Layton Nation. Who knew auto body work was so fascinating?

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
With the soaring gas prices, regular unleaded (87 octane) here in SD is hovering at $6.59 ish for cash transactions...and this is for ARCO, ouch, but there is some light for BAJA expeditions.

Fpr ARCO and BP, not sure of 76 and Chevron, are exchanging 20 Pesos / DLLR, so a gallon being just under 4 liters (3.78). A liter down here is 20 Pesos/liter and change, so a US gallon is roughly 60 Pesos / $4 and change. Is it worth the border wait??? All members always have a safe place to park and stay if you wish to make it an over nighter.

Doug 31046
On trail comm's - CB, Dig.FM/UHF/VHF "DocAldo"
775-870-5411

My rigs.
2008 Ram 1500 "the Mexican Black Bird."
and my 2022 Power Wagon just became my new work in progress..just waiting to transform

Doug A.
US Army Ret. 1st SOCOM, "Sine Pari"
Wounded Warrior Project, San Diego Chapter Alumni
University of Arizona Alumni (Historian)

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

"Who Dares Wins"...
"Speed, Surprise, and Violence of Action"...
Friends,

I came to this community to really avoid the divisions in our society and to find community with people of similar interests. The price of gasoline is a complex issue, with complex causes, most of which are out of the control of any administration. All the best.
Yeah same. I can’t do socmed anymore. I’m trying this but it’s just …people. Can’t get away from it. At least here it’s not too terrible because it’s not flooded. There will always be someone who thinks their views and beliefs are the right ones and better than others. It’s just not true. Every issue isn’t black and white.

Reactions: Advtres

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Friends,

So complex that it was fine a few years ago.

And lumber.
And milk.
And tires.
And electrical tape!
And meat.
And airlines weren't controlled by nazi's.
And healthca............OK, not that one. It was ruined in 2011.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocAldo

DocAldo

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
My initial thread was intended to let you SOCAL members, and even
those in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, know that our gas issues regardless of why. Can be circumvented by purchasing g your gas in Mexico.

It's not PEMIX anylonger, Mexico has privatized gas so now you can buy BP, ARCO, 76, and Chevron but at their prices. Same gas, just not influenced by politics. For example this is huge, I can go out and find my inner peace, without our nation's issues damping the experience. Doug

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I just drove to the local Costco, 13 mi one way, in a town I went thru the cheap station had diesel at $5.99/gal, hour and a half later on my way back home it was $6.19/gal...........

Status
Not open for further replies.