Garmin inReach Explorer+

• HTML tutorial

TexTransplant

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm enjoying mine very much. I pair it with Gaia on iPad. Works great, and lives on my dash during travels well outside cell coverage for hours. Text messaging is best done through the iPad. The iPad is the key. You open the application on the iPad and then you are able to do a lot more, a lot faster and easier than you are directly through the unit. A few quirks, including wonky weather reports which are outrageously wrong but then that's what I get for being in the mountains and not a city. Overall I like it a lot. Been using it steady now for weeks 6+ hours a day on this trip.

How did you get it to pair with Gaia? I just got the software yesterday and couldnt for the life of me get it to link on an Android tablet

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i have one as well, but ive never activated it yet. i cant seem to use it as a gps currently. maybe since its never been activated? i will get a plan eventually, but in the mean time its an expensive paper weight. am i missing something?

TexTransplant

Rank 0

Contributor I

i have one as well, but ive never activated it yet. i cant seem to use it as a gps currently. maybe since its never been activated? i will get a plan eventually, but in the mean time its an expensive paper weight. am i missing something?
you can cancel out on the activation and it will take you to the regular menu.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
This is what I found from REI

A subscription plan must be purchased to use any features on this device.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Im defiantly going with the InReach, several of our club members use this system and use it on a month to month basis. They just need to have it on for a full month before canceling.

R2.8 Brute

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have used spot for several years it runs on global star sats and switched to in reach a year ago, used it in Australia and just got back from Iceland where it was very stormy with constant snow squalls had know transmitting and receiving issues, email is a little slow vs sms.
I have used it constantly in the woods of sw virginia while training horses, always moving at 7-9 mph, and had no issues send out a tracking signal.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Last edited:

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I have had my Garmin InReach Explorer + for a few weeks now and am really liking it. I find the tracking feature to be very useful and my family likes the peace of mind knowing that they can see where I am on the website and can text them regularly. For me it is a vital piece of safety equipment.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Unless something has changed with the Garmin takeover you have to have a plan for the device. I would assume Garmin support could answer that.

I have a Delorme InReach Explorer. YES the plans are expensive BUT how much is your life worth? So $14,95 a month minimum is pretty cheap. They are not meant to be a back and forth communication device though. While you can text back and forth it is a slow process. There are 3 preset messages you can create which are free with any plan. I have "Safe at Camp", "Starting our day" and "No cell coverage" as mine. You can setup whatever you want though. Turning on tracking costs $$ with the cheap plan but is free with the next plan up.

Great devices I pair mine with my iPad for its GPS. I have a ram mount for both. I have used it all over the western US and Baja Mexico.

For communication beyond people in a fairly tight group HAM is the way to go. CB is pretty worthless past even 1 mile. Plenty of other threads to discuss that though. I have 2 Mobile HAM Radios, 2 Handheld Ham Radios, a CB, 2 Motorola Walkie Talkies and the InReach. Yes I am nuts but can communicate with people I lead on trips one way or another.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Unless something has changed with the Garmin takeover you have to have a plan for the device. I would assume Garmin support could answer that.

I have a Delorme InReach Explorer. YES the plans are expensive BUT how much is your life worth? So $14,95 a month minimum is pretty cheap. They are not meant to be a back and forth communication device though. While you can text back and forth it is a slow process. There are 3 preset messages you can create which are free with any plan. I have "Safe at Camp", "Starting our day" and "No cell coverage" as mine. You can setup whatever you want though. Turning on tracking costs $$ with the cheap plan but is free with the next plan up.

Great devices I pair mine with my iPad for its GPS. I have a ram mount for both. I have used it all over the western US and Baja Mexico.

For communication beyond people in a fairly tight group HAM is the way to go. CB is pretty worthless past even 1 mile. Plenty of other threads to discuss that though. I have 2 Mobile HAM Radios, 2 Handheld Ham Radios, a CB, 2 Motorola Walkie Talkies and the InReach. Yes I am nuts but can communicate with people I lead on trips one way or another.
Great info 1Louder ..... @Northernlady , you can turn on and off the service so you only are billed the month of activations. Since I plan 6 plus months in advance, I usually turn mine off when I know there are no overlanding trips planned because I am scuba diving, or other things.

Niko Caignie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belgium
First Name
Niko
Last Name
Caignie
Member #

I have one and use it regularly on trips/hikes. With use, i mean take it with me as emergency back up. In case something happens with me or the kids. Plans differ depending on needs. But as a frequent communication device it ‘s quite hard to handle. Even when it’s connected to your smartphone. And also it will get costly if it’s your smalltalk communicator. Great device for emergency!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding