janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
As you did the best thing to do is express your feelings (positive or negative) to the software developer and not on a forum.
I get that you're a Gaia advocate. I was too. I still really love their product and I want to be an advocate for them. But unless there's some kind of rule on OB that we're not allowed to discuss the quality of navigation software relevant to overland pursuits on this overland forum, then I'm going to continue to discuss the quality of navigation software relevant to overland pursuits on this overland forum.

Don’t know how much control Gaia has over that if an issue occurs at the hosting company. No idea. That is separate from any code issues written by Gaia.
I've been writing software since 1995. I've been a cloud architect and consultant for years. These are not problems that Gaia gets to blame AWS for (their public cloud host). These are infrastructure configuration problems and shite javascript code. These problems are on Gaia, not AWS.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I get that you're a Gaia advocate. I was too. I still really love their product and I want to be an advocate for them. But unless there's some kind of rule on OB that we're not allowed to discuss the quality of navigation software relevant to overland pursuits on this overland forum, then I'm going to continue to discuss the quality of navigation software relevant to overland pursuits on this overland forum.

I've been writing software since 1995. I've been a cloud architect and consultant for years. These are not problems that Gaia gets to blame AWS for (their public cloud host). These are infrastructure configuration problems and shite javascript code. These problems are on Gaia, not AWS.
I’ll make this my last comment. No one said you cannot comment or complain about Gaia or anything else on OB. Complaining to strangers won’t provide any possible resolution but free to do so. Any time I have had an issue with Gaia (topic at hand) I have discussed them with Gaia

I suggested maybe it was a cloud issue, Gaia didn’t. You can blame me for the dumb idea and suggestion that Saturday’s issue could have be cloud related. If you have been in the IT world for as long as you claim you other know developers make mistakes. They are after all human. Not that it matters but decades ago I was involved in the launch of a product that included millions of dollars in advertising and a specific launch time. The site failed. Not because of our code but because someone at the hosting company screwed up. I’m sure lots of people thought the company who we wrote the site for sucked when it had nothing to do with them.

Overland away and yell at the top of a mountain. Maybe you will get lucky and someone will hear it.

I do not speak for Gaia GPS. I merely suggested you reach out to them.

Good luck everyone I’m done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rath

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I mean, no one else at all seems to be having these issues you are having. so..... blaming gaia seems pretty incorrect imo. If it was indeed something they were doing wrong these would be issues a much larger audience would be having.

you are absolutely allowed to voice your opinions and issues, but to place blame where it really isn't needed is kind of silly imo. Seems your odd combination of whatever you have going on with your setup is the issue. which, i could still be something on their end that doesn't like your setup, but when its something so specific and small userbase (after browsing other forums and google no one else seems to be having these issues), can you really blame them for not being able to completely solve the mystery issue at the snap of your finger?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’d like to know what those settings are!

i have the same thing happen in Firefox on my pc, but not as often.
I don’t remember what settings I was playing with because I was trying to fix an other issue completely different for a different website. One other thing I have noticed, if I try to open a thread at the same time someone makes some kind of interaction with me I get the same error message. A quick refresh fixes it and the. I notice a new alert at the same time.

Reactions: Sparksalot

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
I mean, no one else at all seems to be having these issues you are having. so..... blaming gaia seems pretty incorrect imo. If it was indeed something they were doing wrong these would be issues a much larger audience would be having.

you are absolutely allowed to voice your opinions and issues, but to place blame where it really isn't needed is kind of silly imo. Seems your odd combination of whatever you have going on with your setup is the issue. which, i could still be something on their end that doesn't like your setup, but when its something so specific and small userbase (after browsing other forums and google no one else seems to be having these issues), can you really blame them for not being able to completely solve the mystery issue at the snap of your finger?
Look, I'm pretty much at the end of my willingness to argue this. If you have a software infrastructure background and can explain to me how 502 Bad Gateway errors from an Nginx reverse proxy are a result of my configuration, I'm super interested in what you have to say. But you don't. And you can't. Because it isn't.

There is a surprising amount of people on this forum who get pretty bent out of shape if you question Gaia's quality. I wouldn't have guessed there were so many Gaia apologists round these parts.

Reactions: M Rose

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I have no background in that. but explain to me how no one else is experiencing this issue? I'm super interested in what you have to say about that. I do know firewalls can give 502 errors, and ISP issues. that's the extent of my knowledge on why it would be user end.

I do know that issues with tech are very hard to diagnose and resolve when there is very little information to go on. a large issue affecting a large number of people is much easier to solve than an issue affecting a very very tiny amount of people. You should know that as well with your background. Seems to me you just want to piss on them because you're grumpy and have had one bad experience and no ones bending over backward to fix one person's issue out of what, hundreds of thousands of users? And the fact you came to a completely unrelated place trying to find answers makes me question your supposed background, to begin with. why on earth you would think anyone here is going to be able to help you is beyond me.

there are many people getting "bent out of shape" because you are making claims that just do not hold up to 99% of people's experience with the app and website. You're going to be met with that response every single time if 99% of people have no issues, you do, and you cry about it in an unrelated place. Welcome to reality.

I'm blocking you now because I really don't need to see your negative irrelevant posts in the future. So any further response to me would be pointless. Have a nice day and I hope your rare issues get solved.

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Your concerns should be sent to support@gaiagps.com and not here. If you want official support go to the source. OB is great for tips on how to use apps like Gaia but not to fix potential issues in said app. I would also try a different browser. I would say Gaia has the largest team of developers and support people of any comparable app.
I know I was gonna leave this thread alone but did want to close this one loop. I heard back from their support team today and you are correct, @1Louder - their support team was great. Didn't solve all of the problems and he admitted they've been having some stability problems and defects as of late but his response was spot on. I'm pretty happy with the resolution.

Reactions: 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I know I was gonna leave this thread alone but did want to close this one loop. I heard back from their support team today and you are correct, @1Louder - their support team was great. Didn't solve all of the problems and he admitted they've been having some stability problems and defects as of late but his response was spot on. I'm pretty happy with the resolution.
That is great to hear. I think some people assume customer service will always suck with companies. I am not putting you in that bucket. It is a broad brush and why I always encourage people to still try to communicate directly. Especially based on my 7.5 years of using Gaia GPS and working with them on product suggestions and any issues I have experienced during that time.

Peace.

Reactions: janders