Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I currently am running Gaia on my phone. But I would like to get a tablet that’s a little bit larger for navigation. Is there a tablet out there that will run Gaia without having to pay for cell service for GPS? In my experience hot spotting off of a phone isn’t as accurate and uses a ton of battery for the phone.

Looking for options and the web doesn’t provide much that I’ve searched so far.

Reactions: F8OO and Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I currently am running Gaia on my phone. But I would like to get a tablet that’s a little bit larger for navigation. Is there a tablet out there that will run Gaia without having to pay for cell service for GPS? In my experience hot spotting off of a phone isn’t as accurate and uses a ton of battery for the phone.

Looking for options and the web doesn’t provide much that I’ve searched so far.
I picked up a brand new iPad from Verizon for $200 a couple months ago, never bought the cell service plan. And I use it for all my navigation needs...

With that, 90% of the android based tablets have built in gps. And about 50% of the 2in1s have built in gps.

Reactions: F8OO and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
You don't don't have to pay for a data plan with a cellular GPS equipped iPad. My iPad is cell/GPS and uses my phone for data on the road. Works well. I have heard that some of the BT GPS devices work well; if I was going to go that route I would look at one of the Garmin inreach products as they are supposed to work with the iPad (sharing GPS) and also gives you satcom ability for emergencies.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
iPads with LTE have a built in GPS. Wifi only iPads do not. Having a cell plan is not required. It is simply a matter of what hardware is included.

As mentioned most of the Android tablets include a GPS but check the specs. Some of the really cheap ones do not.

An InReach can be paired with a wifi only iPad to give it GPS. But the InReach can only be paired with one device. (Unless something has changed recently) Meaning if you pair it with your iPad then all messaging must be done through the iPad vs your phone.

Lots of of posts on what GPS puck people use in lieu of using an InReach or having an iPad with LTE.

My opinion is Gaia is better in iOS vs Android. I just am not a fan of Android in general. Others have no issue with it. A used iPad mini with LTE might be a good route to go. Just remember there is no way to add a SD Card to an iPad for additional storage. Don't buy one with less than 32GB if you expect to download a lot of maps for offline use.

I would also suggest reading the Ask About Gaia GPS thread because there is a lot of good info there.

maddscot

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

McKinney, TX, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Stuart
Member #

Currently running an iPad mini linked to a XGPS 150A device, seems to work well in my trials (newbie to the Gaia but not mapping). Have seen this used by others as well as the downloading of maps prior to trip. Great Gaia thread in the OB forum (a lot of information and reading)

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Same with Android. Just set up my Samsung Tablet 3 with LTE/GPS and GAIA runs off of it well. It is a smaller 7", but works just fine thus far. Maybe down the road I will upgrade to a 10" Tab, but other wants are mroe important at the moment!

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

iPads with LTE have a built in GPS. Wifi only iPads do not. Having a cell plan is not required. It is simply a matter of what hardware is included.

As mentioned most of the Android tablets include a GPS but check the specs. Some of the really cheap ones do not.

An InReach can be paired with a wifi only iPad to give it GPS. But the InReach can only be paired with one device. (Unless something has changed recently) Meaning if you pair it with your iPad then all messaging must be done through the iPad vs your phone.

Lots of of posts on what GPS puck people use in lieu of using an InReach or having an iPad with LTE.

My opinion is Gaia is better in iOS vs Android. I just am not a fan of Android in general. Others have no issue with it. A used iPad mini with LTE might be a good route to go. Just remember there is no way to add a SD Card to an iPad for additional storage. Don't buy one with less than 32GB if you expect to download a lot of maps for offline use.

I would also suggest reading the Ask About Gaia GPS thread because there is a lot of good info there.
I have read that you just have to have a SIM card in them to activate the GPS. They said you just have to refuse the data plan that the cell carrier asks you to have. Makes sense, so I wonder what else I could run off of it that way. I have other apps I use for work that I might be able to use as well.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have read that you just have to have a SIM card in them to activate the GPS. They said you just have to refuse the data plan that the cell carrier asks you to have. Makes sense, so I wonder what else I could run off of it that way. I have other apps I use for work that I might be able to use as well.
I don’t believe that is correct. I have never had an issue like that.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
To double down what @1Louder said. The GPS circuitry is part of the cellular component of the tablets.

A sim chip just allows for traffic to be passed over the Network. For voice enabled tablets you can make an emergency call without a sim chip ever being installed.

My iPad 2 LTE VZW edition has never had a sim chip installed and GPS has been working fine for years.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Same with Android. Just set up my Samsung Tablet 3 with LTE/GPS and GAIA runs off of it well. It is a smaller 7", but works just fine thus far. Maybe down the road I will upgrade to a 10" Tab, but other wants are mroe important at the moment!
I went from a 10 inch to a 7 inch tablet and am happier than I was with the 10 inch tablet. Less dash space sucked up and the 7 inch tablet is lighter and bounces less.

OP- go to Amazon and search for Android tablets. There are tons of options that have GPS built in.

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

Another vote here for the iPad mini with cellular. I picked up one of Apple's refurbished mini's and found it to be perfect for me. I don't have a cellular.

Reactions: Ubiety

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
My older non-cellular iPad (iPad Pro) runs GAIA and somehow gets GPS location data from my iPhone. But it isn't continuous updates and I admit I am confused over how the GPS sharing works or where I can control it. Sometimes I look at GAIA my iPad and it my location isn't updated, then a little later it is updated. I would like to better understand how this works so I can possibly increase the frequency of the updates. Anybody know how this works? I googled and can't find anything.

Reactions: F8OO

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My older non-cellular iPad (iPad Pro) runs GAIA and somehow gets GPS location data from my iPhone. But it isn't continuous updates and I admit I am confused over how the GPS sharing works or where I can control it. Sometimes I look at GAIA my iPad and it my location isn't updated, then a little later it is updated. I would like to better understand how this works so I can possibly increase the frequency of the updates. Anybody know how this works? I googled and can't find anything.
GPS sharing does not exist. Maybe triangulating off WiFi hotspots. You need a Bluetooth GPS for that type of iPad.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
My current tablet (don't buy vankyo tablets lol) has a dead GPS chip. It pulls some kind of info from my phone when hooked to it via tethering that gives very slow updates to my position. Not sure what it's getting info wise but it's getting some kind of location info.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
GPS sharing does not exist. Maybe triangulating off WiFi hotspots. You need a Bluetooth GPS for that type of iPad.
I can believe that, certainly explains why I can't find any settings or internet info about it :blush:. But I get GPS location updates within GAIA when I am just driving down the road and not connected to WIFI. I don't understand it.

Reactions: F8OO

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I can believe that, certainly explains why I can't find any settings or internet info about it :blush:. But I get GPS location updates within GAIA when I am just driving down the road and not connected to WIFI. I don't understand it.
If WiFi is turned on then your iPad is looking at hotspots. That info is somehow recorded and trying to triangulate your location. If you google WiFi Triangulation or something similar you will probably find some articles.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
That suggests my iPad won’t be able to use GAIA when I am in the sticks, righ? I thought it did, will find out next week. I know I can count on my iPhone with downloaded Google maps but will miss the data I have in GAIA.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
That suggests my iPad won’t be able to use GAIA when I am in the sticks, righ? I thought it did, will find out next week. I know I can count on my iPhone with downloaded Google maps but will miss the data I have in GAIA.
buy a Bluetooth GPS and your problem will be solved.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
The iPad can connect to the iPhone via Bluetooth but I do not know if location data is something shared via Bluetooth