AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I like gaia maps, their offline feature works for me since I plan ahead and download at home where I am going to be (I have poor cell phone coverage most of the time). One thing that I do not like is how much storage it consumes. I starter to play with a client for open street map and it seems to be more efficient at storage utilization since it is vector based instead of image tiles. I have yet to use it outdoors though.

On a side note. My main focus right now is storage, I am planning a trip to Joshua Tree, Mojave and Death Valley where I will have little to no coverage and gaia off line maps consume more storage than what my 32GB phone has available.
Reduce the zoom level to something that can fit. If you have tracks you know you are going to follow use the Download Maps for Track feature. That way you get info near you without downloading spots you may never go.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I downloaded HEMA for north america back when it came out. It was terrible then. And they decided not to update it (not sure if they changed their mind and updated recently). So I haven't used it since. Anyone used it recently? Is it better now?
Dead app.(North America) Been dead for a long time. Buyer beware.

amongmany

Rank II

Member I

LA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Nathan
Member #

I've been considering the same question. Gaia seems really nice for once tracks are already created, but I also really like AllTrails for discovering and downloading tracks. Does Gaia have a feature that displays tracks from the community?

SomeGuyNamedPaul

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hurn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5DFZ
Reactions: great08

Wasatch Runner

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Saint George, UT, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Talbot
Member #

I've been trying to use Gaia (Android) to record my trips, but it seems to crash a lot and doesn't save anything up to the point where it crashed, so it's just lost. I drove from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas and out to several interesting locations along the way and it crashed many times. I have more than 80 GB free on the device, so it's not like it was running out of space. I got pretty frustrated with it. Eventually I gave up on trying to have a single trip span multiple days, and would just start it in the morning and stop it at night, but some days it still crashed and I lost most the day. Does that happen to anyone else?

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

I've been trying to use Gaia (Android) to record my trips, but it seems to crash a lot and doesn't save anything up to the point where it crashed, so it's just lost. I drove from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas and out to several interesting locations along the way and it crashed many times. I have more than 80 GB free on the device, so it's not like it was running out of space. I got pretty frustrated with it. Eventually I gave up on trying to have a single trip span multiple days, and would just start it in the morning and stop it at night, but some days it still crashed and I lost most the day. Does that happen to anyone else?
Is it writing to internal storage or sdcard?

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Try topo usa or alpinrquest both put bcn to shame i have all three at 11 apiece i can afford it. The biggest limitation with all of them and gaia is the ability to store large areas i down loaded most of the western usa in chunks that consited of 250,000 tiles some more some less i found tha on test runs i couldn't zoom any more than about 11 i had down loaded areas zoomed to 15. I saw on the gaia site that the max tile limitation is 100,000. Ithink they all have similar limits which as i see it means youll near to divide up the area you are diwnloadinb into much smaller cunks uf you want decent details. Then i dont know how the program works if you are teacking yourself snd you leave one of your downloads and enter another will the program automatically go from one to another.?

On the other hand it may be the amount of ram the tablet has? Or both! For this reason i would avoid paying for absubscription

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

ive Used Gaia a little bit and look forward to it using it more, but could use some improvement like a map key of sorts on some of the maps, unless I’m just overlooking that feature

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I primarily use Gaia GPS myself, but have been experimenting with ViewRanger. ViewRanger seems pretty mature and is more popular in Great Britain & Europe than USA. There are not as many US layers compared to Gaia, but they do have the excellent NeoTreks US maps with their premium subscription. The one feature that got me using ViewRanger that is missing in Gaia is the ability to navigate an off-road route with a big bearing arrow to an automatically advanced upcoming waypoint. It works quite well in my experience testing it so far, so I’ve been running Gaia on iPad and ViewRanger on iPhone.

E1AB825A-4547-4DDE-9EB0-67CA49E32246.jpeg

Traveler I

I am relatively new to overlanding but have been using GAIA on IOS devices without any issue. The only negative I have found to date is i wish there were more waypoint icons. They don't even have one for fishing and most of them are useless and seem to fit city type locations rather than outdoors activities. Its map tracking has worked flawlessly to date and its each to share your tracks with others via text links as long as they also have GAIA.

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I bought Gaia and was very excited about it, only to find that I can't use it on my Windows 10 Surface tablet for navigation because you cannot navigate without using the app. Seems crazy, right?

Sea To Sky Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Cumberland, BC, Canada
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Mudge
Member #

Has anyone spent any time with Guru Maps (used to be Galileo)? I have both Guru and Gaia on my iPad. I like the offline capability of Guru, but I haven't spent enough time with it to know if it's coming up short in other areas compared to Gaia.

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I bought Gaia and was very excited about it, only to find that I can't use it on my Windows 10 Surface tablet for navigation because you cannot navigate without using the app. Seems crazy, right?
I use gaia on my touchscreen computer through Android X86, it is possible to run this on the Surface, you can also dual boot windows and android. Once running Android X86 you have access to android auto and gaia gps and they work great.

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but I wanted to check before I paid anyway, but if I purchase a membership for Gaia on my phone, I can also log in on a tablet if I get one at a later date right? It's not paid by device but by membership?