Advocate II

Clackamas, Clackamas County, Oregon, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
O
Member #

Hey All!

I'm about to commit to a GPS trail app but need some advice on what direction to go. I know Gaia is a very popular app but I've also heard AllTrails is quite good. Having only the free/basic versions of each, I cannot fully experience what the apps can do.

Does anyone here using something other than Gaia, and, if so, could you provide some thoughts?

I like to do some overloading but also hikes with my young kids.

Thanks!

Reactions: TheDrakes
S

SubeeBen

Not familiar with all trails but Gaia works great have it on my iPad mini 4 mounted in the Jeep & is portable as well you can also download maps for offline use as well.

Jean-Yves Hudon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Member #

I am using Gaia but I am probably more critical than most about it. For Canada at least the map offering is limited despite I like to be able to trace my route. I love avenza map as you can get pretty much any maps you want. Maps.me is also excellent with trails and guided navigation. I use it all the time for hiking. For mountain biking, trailfork is the best.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey All!

I'm about to commit to a GPS trail app but need some advice on what direction to go. I know Gaia is a very popular app but I've also heard AllTrails is quite good. Having only the free/basic versions of each, I cannot fully experience what the apps can do.

Does anyone here using something other than Gaia, and, if so, could you provide some thoughts?

I like to do some overloading but also hikes with my young kids.

Thanks!
Sign up for a trial period on both apps before your next trip and compare them side by side.

Personally, I use Gaia but only cause its the best ive used so far. It's not perfect, in fact I think it needs a lot of improvement. But until a better option hits the market its what I have.

Reactions: TerryD

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Backcountry Navigator is releasing a major update soon. Not sure of the details but im keeping an eye on that.

Reactions: Graeman

Jean-Yves Hudon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Member #

You should check out Avenza Maps. In essence, you create a track or download one already made. Gaia is okay to create tracks. Get the maps you need, import a KML file as layers link to the maps et voilà! There are thousands of amazing maps, lots are free including MVUM per example. You can record your tracks, add pics, etc. It is closer to a paper map feel with GPS location live.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

You should check out Avenza Maps. In essence, you create a track or download one already made. Gaia is okay to create tracks. Get the maps you need, import a KML file as layers link to the maps et voilà! There are thousands of amazing maps, lots are free including MVUM per example. You can record your tracks, add pics, etc. It is closer to a paper map feel with GPS location live.
I have Avenza for those times I can only get my hands on PDF maps. Can load right in and go. Gaia has MVUM now.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

If you use a android device you can try Locus Map, wide variety of offline maps available.
Probably the most used app in europe.

Reactions: grover

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I use Gaia but it could be better.

Todd32x

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Beckley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3THB
Service Branch
US Marine Corps
I’m working with backcountry navigator. Still working on getting the offline maps to work properly. I’m sure it’s me and not program. Works very similar to Gia. $12 in the App Store for Android. I’ve been using here in Kuwait for a few weeks now.

wordofbabb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Snohomish, WA, USA
Member #

Does anyone use HEMA maps? I have only heard of HEMA and Gaia. I have never used either. Still not used to tracking using a GPS based app. Usually go with paper maps from the local forest service.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Does anyone use HEMA maps? I have only heard of HEMA and Gaia. I have never used either. Still not used to tracking using a GPS based app. Usually go with paper maps from the local forest service.
I downloaded HEMA for north america back when it came out. It was terrible then. And they decided not to update it (not sure if they changed their mind and updated recently). So I haven't used it since. Anyone used it recently? Is it better now?

Reactions: Kent R

Overland_Bubba

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Luxembourg
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Fusenig
Member #

I've been using Locus maps for years and I'm very happy with it. You can import your own maps, draw tracks and there are many other tools. The freeware gives a very good overview. I can recommend this app. Screenshot_20181206-205342_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

BWSmith

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Backcountry Navigator is the most capable platform, IMO, if you use an Android phone or tablet. The interface is an little clunky but the developer is working on a new version that will sync better desktop and mobile platforms. But it's not mature yet... Maybe by summer 2019.
The current version supports off-line downloadable maps reasonably well. Track maps and waypoints are well supported and transferable.

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

I use gaia through my phone. As long as you pre download I haven't had any real issues. US east coast travel with a little in Louisiana.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I use Gaia but it could be better.
Could not have said it better myself.. This app drives me crazy when not in a cell phone service area. Plus, today I put in an address in Prescott, Arizona and it did the pinwheel of death thing for the first 40 miles of pavement, so I just switched it off. My Garmin 62s is so much better. I am done with free apps for mapping. All Trails not much better. Back country explorer is the best that I saw on a friend of mine's Android cell phone.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

I like gaia maps, their offline feature works for me since I plan ahead and download at home where I am going to be (I have poor cell phone coverage most of the time). One thing that I do not like is how much storage it consumes. I starter to play with a client for open street map and it seems to be more efficient at storage utilization since it is vector based instead of image tiles. I have yet to use it outdoors though.

On a side note. My main focus right now is storage, I am planning a trip to Joshua Tree, Mojave and Death Valley where I will have little to no coverage and gaia off line maps consume more storage than what my 32GB phone has available.