Launch Member

Explorer I

Hebden Bridge, UK
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Healey
Member #

hi all question can you put Gaia (and get it to work) on a Garmin overlander i'm planning a 5 year world trip . thanks

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Not exactly sure what you are asking - when you say "can you put gaia... on a garmin overlander". Do you mean:
- Can I transfer my tracks and waypoints and planning and actuals between gaia and the garmin? The answer is undoubtedly yes and you should look at GPX files to do that. Ask if you need pointers.
- Can you run the gaia app on the garmin device? Well many things are possible but this is likely not possible or not straightforward at all. I could be wrong, don't use an overlander, maybe it has some "app store functionality" that includes gaia. My guess is that garmin locks the device down and does not allow software that it does not approve.

Reactions: landyandy4x4

landyandy4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Hebden Bridge, UK
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Healey
Member #

Hi thanks for the reply, I'm from the UK and run garmin but the first part of my trip is in the USA for a bout 1 year, gaia seems popular over there so I was seeing if I could combine the two. Thanks Andy

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If you have a tablet/phone you can try Gaia and their base maps for free. With Gaia you pay only for additional maps. Have a great trip!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Garmins will only run Garmin software. IMO I would load Gaia on an IPad/tablet. Gaia offers a large variety of mapping not just topos. We use both. If your Garmin has Bluetooth you can use it for the gps location/tracking on the iPad. If not a Garmin GLOll will do the trick.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Garmins will only run Garmin software. IMO I would load Gaia on an IPad/tablet. Gaia offers a large variety of mapping not just topos. We use both. If your Garmin has Bluetooth you can use it for the gps location/tracking on the iPad. If not a Garmin GLOll will do the trick.
Thanks for confirmation! Garmin wants to sell you maps so I have a hard time seeing them allowing you to run Gaia on their hardware only to lose map sales to Gaia.

The cellular iPad has a built in GPS which works great for nav and you don’t have to pay for a data plan. IMO this is the way to go.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
hi all question can you put Gaia (and get it to work) on a Garmin overlander i'm planning a 5 year world trip . thanks
Garmin Overlander has a complete North America map loaded in the unit. It will take you anywhere that you want to go here in the USA. Gaia will only take you where you have downloaded maps of the regions that you want to travel to.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Garmin Overlander has a complete North America map loaded in the unit. It will take you anywhere that you want to go here in the USA. Gaia will only take you where you have downloaded maps of the regions that you want to travel to.
Only for US-models of the unit. In the UK it comes pre-loaded with EMEA maps, not North America. If they want NA then they have to buy them.

dweezil

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Meadview, AZ, USA
First Name
james
Last Name
stoops
yes, it works very well. download gaia apk file and side load to garmin overlander.
couple of observations, make sure you get all the maps you need before heading out. when running gaia on the overlander device, remember the overlander will continue to run while ignition is off, depleting overlander battery.
on the plus side, gaia makes better use of the overlander screen, gaia has smaller borders.
consider using device in "portrait" orientation.

landyandy4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Hebden Bridge, UK
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Healey
Member #

yes, it works very well. download gaia apk file and side load to garmin overlander.
couple of observations, make sure you get all the maps you need before heading out. when running gaia on the overlander device, remember the overlander will continue to run while ignition is off, depleting overlander battery.
on the plus side, gaia makes better use of the overlander screen, gaia has smaller borders.
Thanks I'll have a look

Patrolguy61

Rank I

Contributor II

Leyland, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Burt
Reviving an old thread here as I've searched elsewhere and can't seem to find the answer. Where can the apk files for gaia gps be found in order to sideload them to the overlander unit? I even reached out to gaia and they said it can't be done if the unit does not have Google play. Can anyone clarify, as this would make the overlander unit much better. Thanks.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Reviving an old thread here as I've searched elsewhere and can't seem to find the answer. Where can the apk files for gaia gps be found in order to sideload them to the overlander unit? I even reached out to gaia and they said it can't be done if the unit does not have Google play. Can anyone clarify, as this would make the overlander unit much better. Thanks.
Side Loading is supported for the overlander(kinda).

Here is a link on how to initially enable sideloading:

Just change the link to "newpipe" to wherever you would download the Gaia apk.

APKs can't be directly downloaded from the play store, you'd need to use a mirror (careful with viruses) of use an additional extracting tool

If you can't figure out how to download the apk, here's a basic guide:
How To: Download APK

Also, not very helpful, but the official stance of Garmin:
Garmin Support

Reactions: KonzaLander