GAIA device options

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

CTO1Mike

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham Callsign
KC5DWF
So long story short, If I use an ipad for Gaia It needs to be activated like my phone? Im not a huge tech guy, which is why Im asking.
Short answer no.

Make sure your iPad is Cell capable. Settings is a good place to look, but also up top near the power button the case will have an area that is slightly different from the rest of the case. That area is the cell antenna area and will be almost a wide as your iPad's back shell.

You do not have to have an active cell data plan for your iPad to receive GPS signals.

If your iPad is not cell capable, then you can tether it with bluetooth to a device like the Garmin Inreach. I have the Garmin Inreach, so I don't really know if other GPS devices offer tethering. Have not looked.

Just make sure that you down load all the maps you need before you leave home. Even if you have a cell data plan, because you will not always be in range of a cell tower.

Reactions: Jedi

1Louder

Rank VI

Advocate I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
So long story short, If I use an ipad for Gaia It needs to be activated like my phone? Im not a huge tech guy, which is why Im asking.
Short story:
WiFi in iPad has no GPS built in. If you own that you need to add a Bluetooth GPS as listed above.

iPad with cell service has a built in GPS regardless if you have a cellular plan or not. Meaning you don’t need a Bluetooth GPS.

The term activated does apply here. Just to avoid any confusion.

CTO beat me to the answer.

Reactions: Jedi

Brewbud

Rank V

Enthusiast II

SoCal
Member #

If you have a WiFi only iPad you will need an external GPS connected. The WiFi only iPads lack the internal hardware for GPS. (It saved them like $6 LOL) If you have an iPad that has the ability to use cellular it will have the internal hardware so you can use GPS with or without a cellular data plan.

And it was already answered......beat me to it... LOL

l_vandyke

Rank V

Advocate III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Stumbled upon Gaia GPS recently. Only have the free version at the moment and haven’t really got to go out and explore on it yet. Is the paid version worth it? I like that you can lay multiple map layers on it. I mostly would like to have it to keep track of all the National Forestry Roads and other roads that Google Maps simply doesn’t show