• HTML tutorial

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

Hello I am fairly new to using the forum. I previously had an 85 4runner and after selling have been looking around for a clean 80. I have found one for a decent price and am wondering if it is a good move or not.

Let me go over a few specs. Biggest downfall is the mileage 270,000. Absolutely no rust and white in color. The truck hasn't been abused or offroaded. The seller planned to build it up but has 2 of them. Leather is replaced on both front seats and new arb front bumper. When it was bought, a mechanic went through everything and replaced anything needed including head gasket and head work. There are absolutely no leaks. The truck never had a factory rack so no hole repair job to deal with.

My question for everyone is should the mileage deter me if everything is running in top condition and the body and underbody are beautiful. What are you guys/gals seeing for mileage out of stock engine?

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Asking is 9500

Reactions: NorthStar96

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Looks like a nice truck! 275K means just broke in. Does it have factory lockers? if not, Try and talk him down a bit then buy it. Then the fun starts!
you cant go wrong with an 80. Ask me how I know. :blush::blush::sunglasses:

And Welcome to the group!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
That looks awesome, And it has the fun button. It looks like it was well cared for and pristine awaiting your wallet to go crazy!!!!!
Good luck!!!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
don't hesitate a moment.. I paid more than that 3 years ago for my 80 with only 210,000 miles on it. It now has 251,000 and several times I've been offered more for it than I paid for it. We just finished up an 8,000 mile tour of the middle southwest. I wouldn't hesitate driving it up to Alaska tomorrow morning... The FZJ engines were originally designed for big towmotors doing dockwork etc. The trucks themselves are designed to last for 1/2 million miles. Here is a great company, and a great website for tons of info on 80 series / 450s. good luck,, ooops, no need for good luck, you're not buying a heep>> LOL
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

What year is it? I would consider tearing into the cooling system if any of the hoses look to be original or old. The PHH will be your biggest pain in the but as it is tough to get to but once done will be good for many many miles. Other than that, if its in nice shape simple baselining and maintenance will do wonders for it and the peace of mind to you and your family. Good luck, I have always wanted a white 80 series! Looks like a beautiful find!

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately the seller didn't want to take a deposit until I could get to it and ended up selling it. I found a sage 40th with one owner and 220k completely stock no rust. It looks super clean. The seller has it listed for 8500. Carfax shows routine maintenance. How do you guys feel about sage?? Haha cheers thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G928V using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

The diff locks are the real kick there. I picked up mine for less (97 with 105K on it) however no lockers. Get in it and drive it to make the real call though. Where about are you located?

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

I'm in New Jersey currently but moving to Oregon in two weeks. So my plan was to pick one up anywhere in the U.S. along the way. I'll be driving a penske and pulling a flat trailer waiting for my 80!!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm in New Jersey currently but moving to Oregon in two weeks. So my plan was to pick one up anywhere in the U.S. along the way. I'll be driving a penske and pulling a flat trailer waiting for my 80!!
Good for you getting out of Jersey.... If it were me, I'd wait till I got at least west of the Mississippi River before buying one.. It is very difficult to find a rust free specimen anywhere in the rust belt. I traveled to Atlanta for mine..

Reactions: GoProDave

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

I'm excited to move on I'm active duty so haven't been here too long. The sage one I'm looking at is in Pennsylvania and seems to be almost completely rust free but I'll see upon inspection. I'll send you a pm of the link.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
That 80 looks awesome so cool dude!!!! And your going to Oregon, WoW. So much ahead for you and your family, it's so exciting to hear. Great job! And Thank You For Your Service!!!!!!!

gregash1086

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Riverside
Member #

It's a Toyota. And land cruisers are by far one of the most reliable Toyotas out there. The motor is probably the last thing that would have problems on that rig. Electronics like power seats or power windows might give problems later. But if they serviced everything like they were supposed to then that motor should go forever. [emoji106]