FX4 Ranger Build

• HTML tutorial

GreyWolf

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Springtown Texas
Member #

20170802_201923.jpg Hello all. Just wanted to get some opinions here.
I have an 08 Ranger FX4, upgraded to HD torion bars a few years ago. Added a steel bumper only 90lbs, caused no sag. But...I'm planning on adding a winch to the bumper now, which will add about 60lb -78lbs. If I encounter sag, would upgrading shock, Rancho 9000xl, help sag?

Thanks for the input and help! Happy and safe wheeling to ya:smiley:

Reactions: Rob GoVenture

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

If someone makes a adjustable coilover I would go with that vs a new strut.... I believe Fabtech makes a upper control arm and a lift coil for your truck....
I agree with Raul. A strut won't do much in terms of ride height. That's determined by your torsion bars.

Other than cranking those down to increase the height, your only other option would be to upgrade to coilovers which can be a little costly.

Love the truck [emoji1360] I used to have an 02' edge and loved the hell out of that truck. I'll definitely be following your build!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: maxfederle89

GreyWolf

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Springtown Texas
Member #

I agree with Raul. A strut won't do much in terms of ride height. That's determined by your torsion bars.

Other than cranking those down to increase the height, your only other option would be to upgrade to coilovers which can be a little costly.

Love the truck [emoji1360] I used to have an 02' edge and loved the hell out of that truck. I'll definitely be following your build!

Thanks man. Ya I'm in touch with a guy who makes a coilover conversion kit for Rangers. I'll probably be doing that within a few months. Other than that I'm happy with it. Had a lot done to it, for the trails I wheel, it's perfect.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Just put of curiosity is the guy that does the coilover kit have a website? I'd be curious to look at his stuff.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

GreyWolf

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Springtown Texas
Member #

Just put of curiosity is the guy that does the coilover kit have a website? I'd be curious to look at his stuff.

He's on a ranger forum, makes the brackets himself. He doesn't have a website though. Basically you just tell him your model truck and he'll make the brackets. I'm waiting to hear back from him. He takes orders via email. I can send you that if you'd like.

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

He's on a ranger forum, makes the brackets himself. He doesn't have a website though. Basically you just tell him your model truck and he'll make the brackets. I'm waiting to hear back from him. He takes orders via email. I can send you that if you'd like.
I don't want to say don't trust the guy, but do some research and make sure he knows what he's doing. Suspension is tricky and takes a fair amount of mathematical knowledge to properly build. The big name companies like TC, Fabtech, Camburg, etc.. all use jigs to ensure proper fitment and angles. The last thing you want is to have your $100 brackets misaligned and blow out your $1000 coilovers.

You'll also definitely need new uniball upper control arms to correct for the new angles.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
No that's alright. Thanks for telling me. I don't have a Ranger but I started searching for conversion kits for my vehicle. I love the whole concept

Colindlny

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Delaney
Reviving an old thread, I know, but did you get the brackets from ME00 on Ranger Forums? I bought my CO brackets from him in 2017-ish, he based them on COTS brackets that a company stopped selling (don't remember who the company was). the brackets are laser cut, bent, and welded and then powder coated black. Solid product, and he has been selling them for years. He pumps out a handful of sets every few months when enough people order to make it cost effective to get them milled and welded at the shop.