Full size overlanding pros vs cons.

• HTML tutorial

Lymitliss

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA, USA
Member #

I'm glad to see some other full size overlanders! I just joined the board and although I didn't buy my Silverado to take offroad specifically, I was hoping I could make it work now and then.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I've never "run trails" but I want to be able to go down FS and BLM and similar roads without too much drama. I want 4x4 because I owned to trucks without it and got in trouble a few times where a simple part-time 4x4 would have saved my butt. Also, after my first truck (a little Mitsubishi with a camper shell and carpet kit), I got married and if my wife was going to go travel, she wanted an RV of some sort. A truck camper was what we needed (and bought) so my 1989 GMC 2500 got a Lance Squire 4000 camper and we actually fulltimed in it for six months in 1992 when we decided to bail out of California and went on a long western trip to find a new place. That truck was 2x4 and I got in trouble twice with it and decided never again.

We moved to Idaho in 1994 and kept that combo until we had kids and needed more room. in 2001, I bought a GMC extended cab long bed 4x4 with the 6 liter gas V8 and which carried us and our young kids on many an adventure in the west. Then, the camper got too small and we bought a small 5th wheel (Arctic Fox 21-5R) which we kept until we decided to do another fulltime trip and homeschool our boys in 2007. I needed a bigger fiver and got a Nash 27-5B (a model with bunks for the boys and storage for the additional school things and work things my wife and I would need). The truck handled the fiver with ease. No way anything other than a full size HD truck would allowed for any of this.

Still have the truck and fiver but we haven't used that trailer in years now and the truck is driven by my youngest son who hates the size and poor mileage but that thing only has 69-70k miles on it.

I now drive an LX which is perfect except it's short for me to sleep in back of so I also have a fullsize camping van built on the Ford E-250. However, it's 2x4 and I have to be careful where I go (but the KO2s I put on it have helped a bit).

I wish I could drive smaller vehicles but you don't really get better mileage on them where it's a valid argument to downsize unless you travel alone or have a specific need for a small vehicle. So far, I don't.

FannyJiggla

Rank 0

Traveler I

Howdy!

I've perused the above list of Pros/Cons and have a questions for those still interested. Which Full Size Truck / Van should I get for overlanding?

I own an FJ Cruiser and have been off roading in it since 2007 but we are a family of five now and need a bigger rig for off roading / overlanding. I've all but resigned to the fact that we need a high top 4x4 van (Transit / Sprinter / Promaster) for the job but I'm actively searching for a truck or low top van based solution. Here is a short list of requirements that I hope you that are already living in the Full Size life can creatively satisfy given your experience. I'll be starting from scratch, so I thought it best to ask first.

We're Americans living in the UK and plan use the vehicle to travel all over Europe and even Iceland, so we want the vehicle to very capable off road. We don't tow anything nor are we interested in a trailer solution. We want a US spec vehicle so that we can take it home with us in the future.
  • 4x4 / Diesel
  • Transport / Sleep 5 People (2 Adults, 4 Children)
  • 2nd Row Seating need be as comfortable (reclining) at possible for long hauls. (The RAM Mega Cab seems to be a good fit for this or aftermarket seats for van)
  • Transport 5 bicycles securely inside van/truck bed
I look forward to any ideas from the community. Thanks!

Troy

Reactions: ckkphoto

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Howdy!

I've perused the above list of Pros/Cons and have a questions for those still interested. Which Full Size Truck / Van should I get for overlanding?

I own an FJ Cruiser and have been off roading in it since 2007 but we are a family of five now and need a bigger rig for off roading / overlanding. I've all but resigned to the fact that we need a high top 4x4 van (Transit / Sprinter / Promaster) for the job but I'm actively searching for a truck or low top van based solution. Here is a short list of requirements that I hope you that are already living in the Full Size life can creatively satisfy given your experience. I'll be starting from scratch, so I thought it best to ask first.

We're Americans living in the UK and plan use the vehicle to travel all over Europe and even Iceland, so we want the vehicle to very capable off road. We don't tow anything nor are we interested in a trailer solution. We want a US spec vehicle so that we can take it home with us in the future.
  • 4x4 / Diesel
  • Transport / Sleep 5 People (2 Adults, 4 Children)
  • 2nd Row Seating need be as comfortable (reclining) at possible for long hauls. (The RAM Mega Cab seems to be a good fit for this or aftermarket seats for van)
  • Transport 5 bicycles securely inside van/truck bed
I look forward to any ideas from the community. Thanks!

Troy
There arent too many tough 4x4 vans these days that have at least two full rows as well as have enough room in the back for 5 bicycles plus what I assume is days or weeks worth of clothing and such.

As far as sleeping goes, do you mean that in a pinch you could lock the bikes up outside and all crash in the back of the van? Because if I was facing this challenge and also needed genuine offroad capabilities, I'd probably go with a long-bed crew cab pickup with a bed topper / camper shell. That way, you could probably sleep two adults and two smaller kids in the bed, and two older kids in the cab? If you got a model with a back window it might not feel so segregated. It might require a roof rack to store the gear and/or bikes on the roof if you didn't want to have to pull everything out to sleep.

FannyJiggla

Rank 0

Traveler I

There arent too many tough 4x4 vans these days that have at least two full rows as well as have enough room in the back for 5 bicycles plus what I assume is days or weeks worth of clothing and such.

As far as sleeping goes, do you mean that in a pinch you could lock the bikes up outside and all crash in the back of the van? Because if I was facing this challenge and also needed genuine offroad capabilities, I'd probably go with a long-bed crew cab pickup with a bed topper / camper shell. That way, you could probably sleep two adults and two smaller kids in the bed, and two older kids in the cab? If you got a model with a back window it might not feel so segregated. It might require a roof rack to store the gear and/or bikes on the roof if you didn't want to have to pull everything out to sleep.
Thanks for the input Lindenwood. I would want to secure the bicycles at all times which almost forces me in to a van with pop top / medium / high roof.

Regarding vans, I've been looking at Ford and GMC Savana both with Quigley 4x4 and believe I can outfit them to meet all requirements. Sportsmobile is an 4x4 RV solution, albeit expensive. With the right build out, I can easily secure the bicycles inside AND sleep all five of us. The question is how far offroad am I going to be able to go in a van? Mike at White Bear Lake Superstore does some nice van builds. 'New GMC Savana Cargo Van Vehicles for Sale | White Bear Lake Superstore'

As for trucks, they meet the 'off road capabilities' requirements as well as the long haul comfort requirements, especially with something like a RAM Mega Cab. With a canopy/camper shell with large roof top tent on it, I should be able to sleep all five up top and keep the bicycles in the truck bed at all times. With awnings and additional annex walls for the RTT, I should be able to make a nice living space for us when we need to get in out of the weather.

The search continues....

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Because we mostly camp and not "Wheel" we love the room and comfort of our full size.
It is hard to overload a full size compared to a Taco, 4runner, JK or FJ
We have room for 5 adults if needed, just have to get the approval of our shepherd to share his seat!
Sleeping in the shell/topper is really nice to be out of the wind.

Only con so far is going up a road / trail and having someone come the other way. There have been times that having a jeep would have made the pass easier and less "hope we do not slide over the side feeling". Mountain roads. Of course if we had a Unimog we could just stop in the road and wait for the other driver to figure out a way by us. :)

The First Full Size overlander and "Most Anything" ride I drove in 1972 - 75. Ours were not cammo painted.

200px-M35A2_with_winch.jpg

What others got to drive -

g goat.jpg

Small overlander of the corp. Never a starter issue with it unless your arm got tired.

images.jpg

Our current rig - 1999 F250 7.3 ps CCSB. Currently weighs in at 8550 lbs. used for DD, without water and food loaded.

Shadow 1.jpg

rear bed storage boxes

D side in 5.jpg

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I like to over compensate, which is why I have a full size rig. j/k.

1. mpg sucks, but i knew that. I have been driving full sized trucks since 2000.
2. filling up a 45 gallon sucks even more lol
3. on the 2500hd especially, the steering, i.e. making U-turns, totally sucks!

But:
1. i have a family of 5 and i threw everything in her for the comfort of my family
2. people get out my way because of my over compensation
3. the bed is plenty big duh
4. when/if my wife gives the ok, then i could pick up another trailer someday. we sold our other two, but i want another lol.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I’m in the heavy duty camp. I use my truck for work and play. I tow two different trailers and, depending on the day, up to a 250 mile round trip.
I just couldn’t live with 8-10 mpg driving 25k miles a year. The 6.7 Cummins on 35-12.5 Toyos is averaging 15 mpg, and usually north of 17 with no trailer.
Also with the ram 2500s you get a lot from the factory that many people have to pay extra for. Things like dual batteries, a 220amp alternator, 1 ton running gear, coil springs, and enough payload to carry everything and your family. If only ram would have let me order the power wagon lockers in a diesel.
I have found that most places that modified jeeps and Toyota’s go, I can go. Usually the moded rigs are within 6 inches or less of my width. Also, by the time I get putting bumpers racks and armor on it, the truck will not mind the weight, where as the lighter rigs are really taxes with all that weight.

Cprosser99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Prosser
Member #

My mega cab Chevy super short box is working out well for the most part. Bad mileage, catches wind. With wife, 2 kids & 2 dogs the big cab is nice. Just enough storage in cab & bed for all of the right gear. The TBI 350 is reliable & has enough power to get the 40” tires & dual transfer cases down the road. Trails get tight though & I have had damage from trees & rocks.View attachment 80742
Love your truck! Need more walk around/underneath/inside pics!!!

hoch

Rank 0

Contributor I

Utah
First Name
Hoch
Last Name
S
Midsize is nice but the 3 qualms I have are:
1) No better MPG than full size but much smaller gas tank. My F150 gets as good or better MPG.
2) No room for 3 kids in a midsize. Loads of room in the full-size.
3) Ride comfort is so much better in the full-size especially for long distance trips. Wife and kids are so much happier at the end of the trip.

I may get back into a midsize once the kids are out of the house but I have a feeling I’ll be opting for a single cab Ram 2500.

Reactions: rtexpeditions

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Interesting stuff. Looking at full-size SUV rigs for an extended trip in North America. I need 3rd-row seating plus cargo. They seem enormous compared to most vehicles in Australia.

Reactions: Daryl 32