Full Size - Overland Specific Gear

• HTML tutorial

MDain

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ill 3rd or 4th this. The full size rig EQ companies build giant tow truck size bumpers that weight too much. I would like low profile high angle bumpers. My rig is big and heavy enough already
A buddy has an awesome Sportsmobile van conversion. To much for my wallet. They use very stout aluminum bumpers from Aluminess in their conversions. I’ve been trying to get Aluminess to make something for a Ram 1500. No luck yet.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The after market guru's are hung up on Jeeps and Toyotas. It's been that way since the 70's. I have off road magazines of every publisher that goes back into the 60's. Jeeps and Toyotas is what they push just like they all push Chevy engines. It's sickening to read back through the issues and see magazine buyers begging for info on Dodge, Ford, International, other not so popular vehicles.

Buyers of Jeeps and Toyotas are brainwashed by the off road community. Even in this OB forum you can see the bias extremely so.

I like jeeps for what they can do, problem is it takes a ton of money to make them do what they do well, when built. Same for Toyotas IMO.

The difference between your rigs and the Toyotas and JEEP is that the after market guru's don't make equipment for you that you can bolt on. Look at it this way, at least your not getting ripped off by the after market world of thieves. To make matters even worse, half the carp on the market is not even needed for you to get out there and have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and Charles M

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
This is a great idea. I do think it would be more helpful if the thread was listed as "Gear for 20XX-2019 GM Full Size trucks". Then those that drive other trucks can start a thread for their brand and year range. While I drive a GMC, mine is too old for any gear to be available and there are other brands of trucks. A thread for each brand would help narrow down the searching if your "Brand" is somewhere in the middle of a 200 page thread.
Scott I agree with you that maybe it would be a good idea to start year/brand specific threads but at least there is this one for now. Of course it doesn't to me much good because my rig is a 1988 Silverado 2500 4x4. You and I aren't too far apart so maybe some things you find might work on my truck so post it or message me directly.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Talking about full sized rigs and winches... the really cool factor is with a little creativity you can put a winch behind the stock bumper... especially so on the older rigs like @Big G Pickup. And it can be done cheaper than getting a Warn winch plate.

Reactions: Mekcanix and Big G

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

A buddy has an awesome Sportsmobile van conversion. To much for my wallet. They use very stout aluminum bumpers from Aluminess in their conversions. I’ve been trying to get Aluminess to make something for a Ram 1500. No luck yet.
Yes nice stuff, that outfit in NC also builds aluminum bumpers for their van conversions. I have a pre-runner background and like small, lighter tube stuff so im in the process of building my own

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
What side steps are y'all running? I'd like rock sliders for the protection and high centering with long wheelbase but don't see many options out there for legit sliders.

stone150

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stone
Rough Country now has a hidden winch plate for 14-18 silverados and sierras

Reactions: RoarinRow

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

What side steps are y'all running? I'd like rock sliders for the protection and high centering with long wheelbase but don't see many options out there for legit sliders.
I havent found anything that i like but i have some time before i really add them to the truck as i wanna pay it off before i send it hahahah. I most likely build my own

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Same i'm an F-150 setup.
I've been looking for awhile and haven't really seen any true rock sliders for a F-150. I'm probably going to go to a fabricator for my rock sliders and possibly rear bumper. I would love someone to make a rear bumper with a swing out for a spare and 2 jerry cans, but its impossible to find for a F-150

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Putting sliders on most full size truck is for looks not function. Look at the frame distance to the edge of the truck, it's a long distance. If you bolt to the body where is the support? I have a Ram 2500 4 door. I don't crawl it but I do get to the places in want to go. Good driving habits are far more important than rockers.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Putting sliders on most full size truck is for looks not function. Look at the frame distance to the edge of the truck, it's a long distance. If you bolt to the body where is the support? I have a Ram 2500 4 door. I don't crawl it but I do get to the places in want to go. Good driving habits are far more important than rockers.
That makes a lot of sense to me. There may be a way to attach to the frame and the perimeter of the body like my Land Rover Discovery does. That's why rock sliders cost so much for my rig, a double attachment that makes the bottom of the body armor plated.

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I was intrigued by your theory and decided to measure the distance on my midsize (2014 Nissan Frontier) and full size (1998 Chevy K2500) trucks. Its about 2" longer on the full size. I wouldn't say they would be with out function because you would just have more support bars coming off of the frame and use a thicker thickness of steel. Either way, if it keeps you from damaging your rocker panel in a way that would normally prevent you from being able to open a door or even cosmetically having to do repairs, then I think it would be worth it.

Reactions: Maverick9110E

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

It would take a lot of engineering and steel to really work. Yes, a rocker would disperse the impact, but think about how much more a full size weighs of your you Frontier. I have Ram 2500, it is considerably heavier. It is your Truck do what you like with it.

I was intrigued by your theory and decided to measure the distance on my midsize (2014 Nissan Frontier) and full size (1998 Chevy K2500) trucks. Its about 2" longer on the full size. I wouldn't say they would be with out function because you would just have more support bars coming off of the frame and use a thicker thickness of steel. Either way, if it keeps you from damaging your rocker panel in a way that would normally prevent you from being able to open a door or even cosmetically having to do repairs, then I think it would be worth it.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've been looking for awhile and haven't really seen any true rock sliders for a F-150. I'm probably going to go to a fabricator for my rock sliders and possibly rear bumper. I would love someone to make a rear bumper with a swing out for a spare and 2 jerry cans, but its impossible to find for a F-150
Look at the Hitchgate Offset with jerry can bar. I have this on a Colorado and I'm very happy with it. You may need to trim the length of the bar for clearance.

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

My Chevy is a 3/4 ton diesel so it weighs about 3k more then the frontier. I google searched for 3/4 ton trucks with sliders and there are plenty of reputable companies that make them for heavy duty trucks and I’ve see some of the damaged after math photos as well. Everything depends on how hard you hit the slider whether on a mid size truck or a 3/4 to full size. If your just laying it lightly on the slider and then just sliding along it then they last just fine.

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

My Chevy is a 3/4 ton diesel so it weighs about 3k more then the frontier. I google searched for 3/4 ton trucks with sliders and there are plenty of reputable companies that make them for heavy duty trucks and I’ve see some of the damaged after math photos as well. Everything depends on how hard you hit the slider whether on a mid size truck or a 3/4 to full size. If your just laying it lightly on the slider and then just sliding along it then they last just fine.

"Good driving habits are far more important than rockers." I closed my original with this line and stand by it. It's your truck and your money, go for it. Most of these aftermarket guys are sell for a look as opposed to real rockers. Jeep style rockers are different and not really equivalent, I am sure you know this, I am stating it for those who don't.