Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

I am just begining to plan a SW desert adventure in a new 4Runner. And I am new to spending as long as a week in back country. Any tips on planning fuel consumption for slow speed but rough terrain, mountain terrain etc would be great.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I would do a short run someplace and drive in 4WD and 4 low as much as possible and then check your MPG after filling up.

My FJ Cruiser gets around 17 mpg in 2 wheel drive, 14-15 in 4WD and drops a bit in 4 low but since that gearing is so low I'm not in it for long. Pulling my trailer I drop all the way down to 10-12 depending on terrain. Carrying a couple of 5 gallons gas cans can take you a long way. I'm also of the mindset that unless the gas price is outrageous if I'm even at 3/4 of a tank and gas is available before I hit dirt again I fill up. Plastic 5 gallon Scepter cans are cheap at Costco if you can find them.

Where are you headed?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
all of the above,, I get 14 to 15 fully loaded with trailer on the interstates. On two track it is around 9 to 10 mpgs in low range. If I'm in high range on two track the same as highway mileage. We are set up for about 5 days in the back country till we have to find gas, water, food and beer. The fuel tank has 27 gallon capacity and we,carry two 5 gal jerry cans. I never go in without topping every thing off.. at that, even if all we are doing is low range we still have well over a 250 mile range.. There just aren't many places in the lower 48 where you can travel 250 miles without coming to a town or gas station.

Last edited:

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

I would do a short run someplace and drive in 4WD and 4 low as much as possible and then check your MPG after filling up.

My FJ Cruiser gets around 17 mpg in 2 wheel drive, 14-15 in 4WD and drops a bit in 4 low but since that gearing is so low I'm not in it for long. Pulling my trailer I drop all the way down to 10-12 depending on terrain. Carrying a couple of 5 gallons gas cans can take you a long way. I'm also of the mindset that unless the gas price is outrageous if I'm even at 3/4 of a tank and gas is available before I hit dirt again I fill up. Plastic 5 gallon Scepter cans are cheap at Costco if you can find them.

Where are you headed?
We will make the long drive from Atlanta to Denver and then make our way through CO and into Utah. I am thinking Capital Reef and Canyonlands. But just getting serious about the plan now. Still trying to work on the number of days available.

Thanks for the info on fuel. You have helped me by confirming that my thinking was plausable.

My next big decision is how much modification is required for the trip. More on this tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your opinions and expertice.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I guess it just depends on how much dirt you are doing but I am guessing there will be plenty of has along the route from town to town even on dirt.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

One thing people always forget to remember in fuel calculation is idle time. All of those times you get out of the vehicle for what you think is just going to be seconds and leads to minutes; or you want to go look at something and one person wants to sit in the car. Or if you do not have a solar charging system and you need to run your engine to charge batteries due to extremes in temperature (cold/hot). It is just something else to consider. People get distracted in the wilderness and forget things like time.

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Where are you headed?
Definitely always a good idea to fill up right before you hit the trail no matter what! Cause you never know even when you carry extra fuel.