Front to back sleeper platform 2011 JKU

• HTML tutorial

Kevin Chase Claypool

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tyler, TX
Member #

Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker and a bit of an introvert. I've never posted RE: my 2011 JKU Limited Sahara, but I thought this modification might be worthwhile to post about.

Anyone over 6' tall with a JKU knows it's uncomfortable sleeping inside with the middle row down... So I decided to remove the passenger front and back seats and to make a full platform! Under the front-most side of the platform is a refrigerator and goal zero 400 lithium. Under the rear-most portion is additional storage. The platform bolts into the two front seat bolt holes and the front 2 rear passenger seat bolt holes. The platform itself is built using Unistrut, and the hinges are attached to the same center point.

The idea here is to make the access door for the refrigerator not only that, but also additional stretch room when I lie down, and also a pool-chair-like recliner seat which faces to the rear of the JK.

I'm going to add pictures as I go, but I cut out the plywood today and thought I'd start a thread to see what y'all thought.

I am also in the process of making a fiberglass mesh magnetic bug curtain for the rear door. I haven't secured the bottom and peripheral magnet portions, but this is what that whole thing will (somewhat) look like:

Thanks in advance for any ideas you throw my way! I'll be providing more pics soon. If you want to see anything in particular, let me know and I'll snap a shot for you!IMG_20180806_143601.jpegIMG_20180806_145539.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX and DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker and a bit of an introvert. I've never posted RE: my 2011 JKU Limited Sahara, but I thought this modification might be worthwhile to post about.

Anyone over 6' tall with a JKU knows it's uncomfortable sleeping inside with the middle row down... So I decided to remove the passenger front and back seats and to make a full platform! Under the front-most side of the platform is a refrigerator and goal zero 400 lithium. Under the rear-most portion is additional storage. The platform bolts into the two front seat bolt holes and the front 2 rear passenger seat bolt holes. The platform itself is built using Unistrut, and the hinges are attached to the same center point.

The idea here is to make the access door for the refrigerator not only that, but also additional stretch room when I lie down, and also a pool-chair-like recliner seat which faces to the rear of the JK.

I'm going to add pictures as I go, but I cut out the plywood today and thought I'd start a thread to see what y'all thought.

I am also in the process of making a fiberglass mesh magnetic bug curtain for the rear door. I haven't secured the bottom and peripheral magnet portions, but this is what that whole thing will (somewhat) look like:

Thanks in advance for any ideas you throw my way! I'll be providing more pics soon. If you want to see anything in particular, let me know and I'll snap a shot for you!View attachment 63956View attachment 63957
That bug curtain is a brilliant idea! The lack of bug free ventilation is one of the big reasons I've never wanted to even try to sleep in my Jeeps! It looks really tidy and well executed.

Kevin Chase Claypool

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tyler, TX
Member #

That bug curtain is a brilliant idea! The lack of bug free ventilation is one of the big reasons I've never wanted to even try to sleep in my Jeeps! It looks really tidy and well executed.
Thanks @DanW , it seems like an inexpensive thing that could be made for JKUs. I had to buy 2 of these:

One of them is going to be chopped up to salvage the magnets that I'll attach to the contour of the interior, the other will be cut to remove the peripheral Velcro. It's only tough because of my interior rack... Tough to work around, but I don't want to have to remove it because my inverter is attached to it. Should be a great addition

Reactions: DanW

Schiller

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indiana
Member #

I also love the rear net idea. Absolutely genius. Definitely interested in seeing how you go about constructing it.