Rank VI

Endurance II

CHARLOTTE
First Name
Barry
Last Name
OReilly
Member #

Looking for some insight on the best ¾ roof rack for my 2022 4Runner. I have narrowed it down to the Front Runner Slimline II or the Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. Do you have one of these installed on your 5th Gen 4Runner? what are the pros and cons of both, Thanks for your feedback!

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I know both platform racks, but from other vehicles. I used to have a Frontrunner roof rack. Those were still the platforms, which where welded together, expecpt the feet. That one was very stable, reliable and very good. With the newer ones, which are bolted together, in my opinion and experience, the quality has extremely decreased compared to the old ones and they are not as good anymore. The Rhino Rack platforms, on the other hand, are very good in my opinion, very well thought out, good quality, very stable.

If I were buying a platform rack today and had to choose between these two, I would definitely go with the Rhino Rack.

I am curious about the experiences of others.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcstockton

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
They’re both aluminum bolt together platforms using a steel rail that secures the platform to the roof via the 8 M8 factory bolt locations. Equal noise or lack thereof. Fairly close in weight and size.

The difference will be that the Rhino Rack sits slightly lower to the roof than the Front Runner. The Front Runner is taller with ability to mount a slide in table below. Platform construction strength, I’d give it to Rhino Rack due to the fact that they have both crossbars and front to rear planks making it extra rigid up top vs only crossbars on the Front Runner. Both brands have many rack accessories to mount into their track systems with Front Runner having the most accessories.

Hope that helps some. I’ve sold and installed both brands on many vehicles.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve been using a Frontrunner rack for a bit over a decade. I added another to the trailer 3 years ago to mount the tent on. Zero regrets and zero rattles. Not a single fastener has ever worked its way loose after thousands upon thousands of miles on dirt, gravel, washboard and technical trails.