Enthusiast I

Durach, Bavaria, Germany
First Name
Moritz
Last Name
Cordt
Member #

Hey guys,
I’m working right now on my interior for my Rig and the big question is now, which fridge/freezer should I buy?

I would like to have 45-55l.

Looking forward to get some recommendations for u Guys.

Cheers MoE

Reactions: 9Mike2

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Check out the ICECO units. I've been very happy with my ICECO VL60D (dual zone). A little larger than you're looking at, but they make the VL45 which is a smaller single-zone unit. IMO, hard to beat for the money. Beyond that, your typical Dometic, Snomaster, Truma, ARB, etc are all solid units. Just depends on budget, size, and availability. I would avoid the cheap Amazon specials, they tend to consume a lot of power and not have very good thermal efficiency so they run a lot.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I noticed some advertised removable plug. Maybe on the larger ones it might be useful. I just wipe mine out with paper towel for the condensation and a few Clorox wipes to finish.

Tom Cole

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Weatherford, Texas, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cole
Member #

I've used the ARB, SnoMaster and Dometic.
- I like the ARB for simple/short trips that just needed a fridge; great design, sips electricity, and the removable lid is a bonus. Have found that food on top stays cool and the food on bottom can freeze. So I've used to my advantage (before I bought my Snomaster) for storing frozen goods on the bottom and fridge stuff on top. Though it can be a pain to dig for the frozen foods in a full compartment.
- For longer trips (I just finished 5 weeks in Alaska), I use my SnoMaster dual compartment, 1 side freezer and the other fridge. It allows for food now (fridge) and later in the week (frozen) and a few frozen fudgesicle hits the spot on warm days. The lids are also removable, just not a easy as ARB/Dometic. Sips electricity, but more than the others due to dual zones. I notice when compressor kicks on, it uses about 4.5-5 amps whereas the ARB was around 3.5-4 amps. On hot hot days, it sucks a lot of juice, but that is true for all of them.
- The Dometic dual door opening works really well for parking it on the rear seat. Easy access from door as well as reaching around and grabbing a cold beverage. It too sips electricity. In full disclosure, this was borrowed and not owned nor used extensively, so my experience is limited.

One other note... the ARB and SnoMaster both are dual power, AC and DC. Another reason I got the SnoMaster is one of my children is a type 1 Diabetic. We have hundreds of dollars of meds in the home fridge. My wife wanted a good reliable backup plan for the meds in case of power failure. I personally felt the ARB temp swing was too much for the meds whereas the Snomaster typically stays within +/- 2 degress of setting. Happy wife, happy 4Runner.

Hopefully your decision is influenced by what type of overlanding your planning (weekend vs. expedition) and how many folks your feeding. Enjoy it!

Reactions: Kozysnack

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I researched for literally 8 years, ending just 3 years ago. The first priority was dependability. There are only 4 or 5 fridge/freezers that one would consider to be dependable. Dependable? I like when I read about fridges that are still going strong after 5-10-12 years of continual use. Most all high end fridges use the Danfoss compressor. Engle uses a swing arm compressor. We ended up choosing an Engle MD14F as a dedicated freezer, removed the center counsel and mounted it there. We have the ARB 63 qt mounted in the rear of the vehicle on a slider. I chose the ARB over the Engle or Dometic because of how the lid is hinged. (My brother in law bought a Dometic and is now kicking himself because the lid opening is very awkward for his application). However, the biggest considerations for us were dependability, (as previously stated), energy consumption, cost and last but certainly not least, access. The ability for my wife to open up the freezer for a really cold drink or for an ice pack while we are driving is important. (Who wants to pull over and open up the back every time you want a drink?) The Engle was purchased 7 years ago and still running strong. The ARB 3 is years old. Once you sort out your personal preferences, then wait for a sale. I picked up up our ARB and slider for just over 1,000. The Engle and mounting plate, as I recall was a little over 500. My best advice, as always, do your research, then spend your money once, without regret. peace out !!

Reactions: Tom Cole

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Check out the ICECO units. I've been very happy with my ICECO VL60D (dual zone). A little larger than you're looking at, but they make the VL45 which is a smaller single-zone unit. IMO, hard to beat for the money. Beyond that, your typical Dometic, Snomaster, Truma, ARB, etc are all solid units. Just depends on budget, size, and availability. I would avoid the cheap Amazon specials, they tend to consume a lot of power and not have very good thermal efficiency so they run a lot.
@Shahn Brown

Question for you two with the Dual Zone VL60's.... regarding the area directly above the compressor, are there cooling lines around all the sides (specifically adjacent to the carry handle)? I am wondering about the temperature differential in that compartment. Many fridges don't have any directly above the compressor and the temperature differential is like 10 degrees.

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 4.22.59 PM.png

Reactions: Shahn

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

We have an ICECO VL60, works just fine. I do recommend putting a thermometer in each side so you can get the set point right where you want it. Ours tends to run colder than the dial says.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Tarditi

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Haddonfield, NJ
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Tarditi
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Infantry
I've had my ARB65 for about 6 years now - it's great. I used to use it as a beverage fridge on the back porch between trips (now we have a dedicated cabinet-depth beverage cooler).

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
@Shahn Brown

Question for you two with the Dual Zone VL60's.... regarding the area directly above the compressor, are there cooling lines around all the sides (specifically adjacent to the carry handle)? I am wondering about the temperature differential in that compartment. Many fridges don't have any directly above the compressor and the temperature differential is like 10 degrees.

View attachment 208924
@Truckee - I am not 100% sure to be honest on the layout of the cooling lines, I will tell you I have a couple thermometers I keep in the top of the cooler and the bottom and temp isn't that off from the top and bottom, I'd say maybe a few degrees, I've not noticed anything like 10 degrees or more. I do also use that side more as a freezer instead of a fridge and not noticed any warmer items up top.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Truckee

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
@Truckee I fired it up and was actually able to feel and see the condensation forming where the cooling line is behind the wall. It runs around the entire box about 3" below the lid.

Left side wall Freezer.jpgRight side of freezer.jpg

Reactions: Swag Engineer

Patman

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

@Shahn Brown

View attachment 208924
@Truckee - I am not 100% sure to be honest on the layout of the cooling lines, I will tell you I have a couple thermometers I keep in the top of the cooler and the bottom and temp isn't that off from the top and bottom, I'd say maybe a few degrees, I've not noticed anything like 10 degrees or more. I do also use that side more as a freezer instead of a fridge and not noticed any warmer items up top.
I do the same, use the compressor side as a freezer, and have not noticed a significant temp differential top to bottom. I usually keep the ice cream in the little "cubby" and normal frozens in the basket up top. I've been very happy with it all around.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

We have a Dometic 35 and it have been very dependable for five years now, we use a Yeti for drinks as I find the kids going in and out of the frig. doesn't work to keep thing really cold, and having ice and later melt work as extra back-up works well.
Ps. ARB and Dometic use the same components...

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I picked up an Engel MT35 in 2003 or 2004. It’s been running at least 85% of the time since and I couldn’t be happier.
I’ve had it through numerous trails in Moab in the back of my topless Jeep at least a half dozen times plus hundreds of trail trips in Alberta.
When it’s not serving Jeep duty it’s either in my work truck or garage. When I use it in the truck the interior temps get well over 100 degrees regularly since I keep the windows closed to keep the dust out.
The only maintenance I’ve done to it since new was used an air hose to blow the dust out of the mechanical side once or maybe twice.
I couldn’t be happier with the Engel
edit: Since this post I’ve confirmed I purchased the fridge in May 2003 so that makes it 18-1/2 years old.

Last edited: