First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
So the net hasn't happened for a while.

Is anybody interested in the net if it restarts?
If so we really need a larger pool of net controllers (not just me).
I would be willing to help.

OverDavidLand

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Vonderhaar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LNT
That explains why I couldn't find the net when I was looking for it. I am not really qualified to be a net controller, but I would still try and help in whatever way I can if people still want to have a net. I wonder if we tried a different time/place would help grow the net.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
That explains why I couldn't find the net when I was looking for it. I am not really qualified to be a net controller, but I would still try and help in whatever way I can if people still want to have a net. I wonder if we tried a different time/place would help grow the net.
You are qualified.

You have your HAM licence, it just takes a willingness to volunteer.
You do need a means of connection to the net (Echolink).
I'm happy to help you get set up. I'm sure there are a couple of others.

If there's another time that suits more people please suggest it.

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
I'll see if I can get on tomorrow night (12/10) if thats gonna be the plan.

Been set up on Echolink for over two years now, but never connected. This would be the very first time.

MadCityDriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Madison, WI
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9FON
You are qualified.

You have your HAM licence, it just takes a willingness to volunteer.
You do need a means of connection to the net (Echolink).
I'm happy to help you get set up. I'm sure there are a couple of others.

If there's another time that suits more people please suggest it.
I have had my license for a couple of years but am very inexperienced. I would like to see this happen again. I would be willing to help on occasion too. I am in WI so I will have use EchoLink to connect too.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I have had my license for a couple of years but am very inexperienced. I would like to see this happen again. I would be willing to help on occasion too. I am in WI so I will have use EchoLink to connect too.
Let me know if I can include you on the Net Controllers message group.
Same for anyone else monitoring this.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
What does the net controller actually do?
Net controller role:
1. Announce the beginning and start of the net. A script is provided.
2. Take and log of check-ins and log a brief summary of the conversations.
3. Control the order, so that everybody gets their turn. As simple as running down the list.
3. Rarely you may be required to remind some operators about the rules. They're mostly a pretty good bunch.
4. You can choose the main topic of the net.

If you want to help let me know and I can include you in the Net Controllers Group Message.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
We're back!

The Overland Bound Friday Night HAM Radio Net on Echolink will run this Friday evening.

The place is the *STARLINK* Echolink conference server.
If you had another way to connect in the past feel free to use that.
White Mountain Repeater Association has expanded, particularly in Florida so that may add more options.

Time will be 20:30 Eastern (US), 18:30 AZ, 17:30 Pacific (US) on Friday, December 10, 2021.

12:30 Australian Eastern Summer Time (AEST) on Saturday 11 December 2021.

The topic will be Winter Overlanding, but if that doesn’t suit you we are open to discussing anything else of interest to the group.

Hear from you then.

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
I'm glad to hear this is back and look forward to joining.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

I'd be more inclined to participate if it was on a YSF room or DMR talk group. No real echolink repeater options near me, but I do have a hotspot. I'm also not a huge fan of how the notes that were posted each week included where each participant was located. Some might think it weird, but I don't really like my location being posted out there for anyone to see.

(Echolink over the app or on the computer really doesn't do anything for me... It feels like cheating. I know the hotspot isn't a whole lot better in that regard, but at least I'm keying up a radio.)

Hope this is useful feedback!

Reactions: CMac

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I'd be more inclined to participate if it was on a YSF room or DMR talk group. No real echolink repeater options near me, but I do have a hotspot. I'm also not a huge fan of how the notes that were posted each week included where each participant was located. Some might think it weird, but I don't really like my location being posted out there for anyone to see.

(Echolink over the app or on the computer really doesn't do anything for me... It feels like cheating. I know the hotspot isn't a whole lot better in that regard, but at least I'm keying up a radio.)

Hope this is useful feedback!
Hello Alex,

I believe it is possible to set up an Echolink connection or otherwise connect to the WMRA network on DMR or YSF via a hotspot, I'm not completely sure about the details.
I personally use a network radio.

If you do check into the net and don't want your details published, just let the net controller know and they will do their best not to publish it.
There is probably much more detail from your OB profile or checking your callsign with QRZ.com or the FCC, so we can hide your callsign and OB number if requested as well.
It may still appear in the local station's log sheet.

In my history of publishing the log, we only show your state, so it's not that detailed.

Randall

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
The net for December 10 2021 got off to a good start but had some connection difficulties fairly early in the net.
The topic was intended to be winter Overlanding, maybe not the best choice among the majority of participants who were from the warmer parts of the US.
It was great to catch up anyway.

Participant Log
CallsignNameState
AF6FBMichaelCA
N7PHYEdWA
KG4LYAFrankFL
KE6GVKMikeAZ
KJ6DHGRenayCA
KN4YHMTroyFL
KO4SPSCesarFL
W2GGIRobertFL
W6AAXAlCA
JO4GVGNeilFL

For those who got dropped off the net, I hope you are ok wherever you are. Hopefully, you will have more success next time.

The next net will be on Friday, December 17.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
The Overland Bound Friday Night HAM Radio Net on Echolink is on again this Friday evening.

The place is the *STARLINK* Echolink conference server, node 357087.

Time will be 20:30 Eastern (US), 18:30 AZ, 17:30 Pacific (US) on Friday, December 10, 2021.

12:30 Australian Eastern Summer Time (AEDT) on Saturday 11 December 2021.

We'll try and do a food topic this week. Have you ever had Christmas dinner while overlanding? Even if you haven't I'm sure you must have some recipes, time to break out the camp oven.

Hear from you then.

As always I need to put out a plug for net controllers. PM one of the team if you can help. If you are unsure it's better to do your first net when we are around to assist.

Reactions: CMac

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Total newb here. I just got my license the other day, KN6SCT, and all I have is a Baofeng handheld.

What do I need to do to get in on these?
The net operates on Echolink, which can just be set up on a computer with sound and a microphone, or alternatively on a smartphone or tablet. So you don't even need your handheld.
You need to register.
echolink.org or secure.echolink.org

Another method is to connect to White Mountain Repeater Association (Starlink) repeaters which are all over the US

I believe you can also get into the system using a hotspot (I'm not really up to speed with that)