Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who joined our net this evening. We had a fantastic turnout and discussion. In addition to overland photography, we discussed a suggestion to move the net to another night of the week. Acknowledging that overlanders are either preparing for a trip or heading out during net time, this might make sense. Any thoughts?

We also made the call for additional net control operators. I'll be returning to office work soon which precludes me from catching the first half of the net most Fridays. Any ideas to help keep this thing going are much appreciated.

Below are my notes from tonight's net. Happy independence weekend everyone!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:N7PHY2 Jul 2021None
Topic:
Photography and vidography and overlanding
Check InNameLocationI/O
KJ6DHGRenayCABeen warm. Best camera is one you have at the time. Have been published but not outdoor photos. iPhone or camera for gear. Video over gopro and video on iPhone. Start a file er year, folder in ea file labled A~Z. Try to delete unwated photos before downloading from card. Photo mechanic app. Consider external microphone if you expect people to watch video.
KE6GVKMikeAZx
KM4PJNJimmyVAJust taking photos with phone.
KI7WPGLoraWAxno mic
K7ZOOCurt

AZ
Tactic to download app on phone. Prints lat/lon/time/direction on photos. App called Open App.
K7XPOBrienAZBring more camera gear than end up using. Sony a6500, lenses, microphone. Go pros. Cell phone. Also carry lighting. Device called arsenal helps manage time lapses. Photos in adobe cloud. Video to drives, not to cloud.
VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaMultitude of different cameras. Go pros. Waterproof point shoot. Go with aim of taking photos, sigma brand camera. Ability to detail photo. Take smaller on small tirps. Makes labels for groups of photos using adobe. Avail free but must dig out, standalone program. Normallly part of photoshop lightroom group.
KG6PZRBrianJapanContractor working in Japan. New cannon R6. Using cannon software. Sort by date then will add location or event. Storage; RAID device. Don't have to take as many photos with new camera. Can see composure through slr. Moving towards lightroom classic.
AA1MHRobertCTUsing iphone for pics. No cloud storage. Cybersecurity. No gps tagging in photos to avoid tracking. Sort on pc.
K7TRRickWADon't own a camera. Use phone for all photos. Interest varies; aviation, radio, electronics, video. Looking for camera suggestions. Renay suggests cannon rebel series. Invest in quality lenses. Randall recommends micro 4/3 system. Gives wide variety of lenses.
KC0POBchadAZx
KJ4UGXNickVAxNo Mic
NB9DNeilNHCell camera only.

Reactions: CTMountainHiker

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Folks,
I'm going to be out Friday with unknown access to cell coverage. Anyone out there available to run the net this week?
Thanks
Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone. Reminder I'll be out of range tomorrow trying some 6 meter radio camping from a remote grid square. If you get on 6 meters FT8 give a listen for me, would appreciate a contact.
Is anyone available and willing to run the net? If not, I think it's ok to have a round table.
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Ed N7PHY

Reactions: Downs

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone. Afraid I'll be traveling again this Friday, likely out of cell coverage. Anyone available to host this week?

Thanks
Ed N7PHY

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
OB Net July 9th 2021

The net on July 9th was run by myself (Randall) VK7VWK from Hobart, Tasmania.

Open Topic.

Participants Log

KE6 GVK Mike AZ in&out

K6SJG Sean CA in&out

KJ7OKE Don AX in&out

KJ7NWP Greg AZ

KF0AJN Rob CO

NB9D Neil NH

N1KN – Brad CA

KM4PJN Jimmi VA

KC2MJB – Doug NY

Announcements

KE6 GVK Mike – Tech roundtable after net.

KJ7NWP Greg in & out getting groceries.

KF0AJN Rob - 100F, On call for work, Landscape Photography. Recent trip Colorado to Utah to North California, big heatwave glad to leave. Tahoe to Nevada.

NB9D Neil – Contacted station in “Villages” FL, Villages radio club. PDF for stealth antenna, Android apps echolink & droidstar. Out in boonies, good location at camp spider web (fan dipole) antenna. New CQ feature on Echolink contacted Tokyo and Bahamas.

KM4PJN Jimmy – Yard work in evening. Just about finished with Landrover. LR get together at Wintergreen Ski Resort 3 different trails, dinner, prizes. Going to Mountain Lake in October.

Comment - KF0AJN Rob – about Jaunt Motors converting Landrovers.

Comment - KM4PJN Jimmi – Electric landrovers, upgrade brakes, transmissions but same ride www.bearmach.com podcast.

KC2MJB Doug – Asked about Earthquakes in Australia, replied mostly in surrounding islands Indonesia, New Guinea, New Zealand.

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you Randall for running the net last week. And thank you Renay for taking it this week. I'll check in if I have cell service.

Last Friday I was on the edge of the Umitilla National Forest in SE Washington state running 6 meter FT8. The day went well but just after sunset the winds shifted and I was blasted with smoke and ash. Had to eventually bail out, just too many forest fires in the area.
Not much of a trip report but here's a pic of the setup before getting smoked out.

73 - Ed N7PHY

DN15cf_N7PHY_pic1_sm.jpg

Reactions: aaronefsmith

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Overland Bound Friday Night Net July 16, 2021

Net duties by Renay Johnson (KJ6DHG), San Diego, CA

**As there were 7 people total, this was a short net. Renay was unable to access Echolink onetime but Randall was able to access Echolink after being dumped out. After three attempts, Renay was able to start the net. Mike could find nothing wrong but area is having bad weather.

Open Topic.

Participants Log

KE6GVK - Mike - AZ - In/Out

K6SJG - Sean - CA - In/Out

K7XPO - Bryan - AZ

KG7YTR - Anthony - AZ

VK7VWK - Randall - Austraila

N1KN – Brad CA

Announcements - N/A

KE6GVK - Mike weathering harsh weather in his area of AZ.

KG7YTR - Anthony wants to take out the 4Runner he purchased. Anthony working on his resume.

VK7VWK - Randall wants to take a trip soon hasn't driven his van in a while. Has a 30 year old Engel fridge that is still working flawlessly.

KJ6DHG - Renay still sorting out Jeep maintenance issues. Picked up Jeep from the shop. Southern CA dealing with triple digit heat as well as the Pacific Northwest.

K7XPO - Bryan (K7XPO) offered to take Anthony out as they are both in Tucson

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you Renay and Randall for handling net duties the last two weeks. I'm back in town and available this Friday to run the net. I don't have a topic idea so for now we'll call it 'open'.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone Friday!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Topic: Open Topic
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds WA
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 00:30 UTC

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

Check the WMRA web page for linked repeaters, talk groups, etc.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you Randall for running the net last week. And thank you Renay for taking it this week. I'll check in if I have cell service.

Last Friday I was on the edge of the Umitilla National Forest in SE Washington state running 6 meter FT8. The day went well but just after sunset the winds shifted and I was blasted with smoke and ash. Had to eventually bail out, just too many forest fires in the area.
Not much of a trip report but here's a pic of the setup before getting smoked out.

73 - Ed N7PHY

View attachment 204350
We just missed each other, I left that area Friday Morning

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone,
Just a reminder it's Friday! I didn't specify a topic but I am curious if anyone has looked at modular tool boxes (ex: Milwaukee Pack Out) to help organize their gear.
Hope to catch everyone tonight.
Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Topic: Open Topic
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds WA
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 00:30 UTC

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. For more information please visit the WMRA web page for linked repeaters, talk groups, etc.

Echolink - Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I had a topic last week but didn't use it since there were only 7 people on the net. My topic was "Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently after becoming a HAM"?

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
I had a topic last week but didn't use it since there were only 7 people on the net. My topic was "Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently after becoming a HAM"?
Great topic Renay!

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Timely topic Ed.
I'm looking at storage options, particularly to fit in the space where my stove is now. Packing it with a blanket isn't going to cut it forever.

Attachments