First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Well, a week sure flies by quickly.
I'll be your net controll again tomorrow and will be trying something a little different. Well, different for me anyway. I will be attempting to run the net from a fairly remote camp location in eastern Washington. Gaia maps indicates I'll have cellular coverage so there is a decent chance this might work. VK7VWK Randall has offered to back me up if this doesn't work. If I'm missing in action, please carry on without me.

No topic has been selected so if you have anything you'd like to bring up, please feel free.

Hope to hear everyone tomorrow.
Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Topic: Open Topic
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds WA
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 00:30 UTC

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

Check the WMRA web page for linked repeaters, talk groups, etc.

Reactions: Boort

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Log and Summary of OB Friday Night Radio Net, April 16 2021

Net Controller VK7VWK, Randall, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

KJ6DHG -Renee CA

N7PHY – Ed WA (Mobile)

KE6GVK – Mike AZ (in and out)

KO4DKV - Michael GA (Mobile)

K6STG – Sean CA (in and out)

KI5BEE – Calvin ON(CA)

K7BWH - Barry WA

KC2MJB – Doug NY

W7BR – Brent AZ

AB5JK – Jimi TX

KN4EWT – Thomas TN (late check-in)

Apologies to Renee and anybody else if I missed a check-in. I was having some problems where I was not receiving the first few seconds of transmissions and losing connection to the server completely during the first part of the net.

No set topic this week.

KO4DKV – Michael heading from Northern Georgia to North Carolina over the weekend.

KI5BEE – Calvin Lots of online shopping as unable to go out. Getting the vehicle ready to travel when he can.

K7BWH – Barry Washington is loosening restrictions. Programming on Arduino – Griduino (grid squares). Has had 4Runner for the last 10 years but wanting to move to Sprinter 4x4 which are hard to get at present.

KC2MJB – Doug 1965 Greenbriar progress, POTA.

W7BR – Brent. Fixed issue with dogs. Trip to Moab. Looking for land in either Idaho or Montana.

KJ6DHG -Renee. City, theme parks, and baseball are open to CA residents only.

AB5JK – Jimi. Offered alternative access to net (but was working better by then).

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone,

I'll be your net control Friday. For this weeks topic I'm borrowing a suggestion by KI5BEE, "What would you purchase for your rig or camping kit if you had an extra $1000?"
Of course, happy to talk about anything else related to overlanding.

Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Topic: Open "What would you purchase for your rig or camping kit if you had an extra $1000?"

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink

Reactions: M Rose

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings,
Just a quick reminder, tonight is our weekly Ham Radio net on Echolink.
Hope you can join us.

Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone for joining tonight. Below are my notes (such as they are) from our net. Definitely a few good nuggets of info in there.
One note to pass on - The Tech Round Table following our net is pushed up to 7:00 pm to make it easier for folks to hang around after we conclude.

73 Everyone!
Ed N7PHY

Check InNameLocationI/O
N7IADGregEdmonds WAWould like to join the group on an outing.
KJ6DHGRenayCAWould like to finish skids on jeep. And rocker guards. For trips, went away for a day to 20 something palms. Would like to go to death valley before it gets to hot. Goal to visit 3 Nat parks this year, one down. ARB may make awning bracket. Hardtop may be a problem. Weight may be a problem. 1st stage of build air comp. tires, lockers. Also want to add fridge. Looking at switch pro-help keep wiring in order. Looking at dual battery also.
k6sjgSeanCAx
vk7vwkRandallTasmaniaCool day. Scout day this weekend. Will not get snorkel finished till next weekend. Getting to main land for lift kit. May adjust timing to meet OB group gathering in July. For Renays awning - mine attaches to a channel riveted to the roof. Consider screwing u channel to roof rack with nuts to awning brackets? Wiring - put in shelving system to hold fridge and 2 batteries. Run through floor to power pickup point under front seat. Other day wiring with Anderson connectors. All different colors so I know source, only plug into same color. Adding solar panel connection.
ki5beeCalvinCanadaLooking to clean up wiring. Dual battery install - 25 AGMs. Peace of mind with dual battery. Will install blue sea fuse box. Plus driving lights. Side note: podcast talking about food for camping, dehydrating, etc. Outdoor Line out of Seattle.
kf0ajnRobCOWould like to pick up a fridge for rig. Looking forward to trip in June. Already built drawer system and lighting. Check out Michael utube DIY fuse relay panel made with old school components. Relay solution.
km4pjnJimmieNCVolunteering with overland challenge. Getting ideas and spending money on Discovery.
k7rfxLarryazTech round table next week. Time moving up to 7:00 pm to make it easier to stay on channel.
KE6GVKMikeAZx

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone,
Don't know if anyone else out there is interested in weekend contests; this weekend is the 7th Area QSO Party (among others). I'll be operating from a national forest campsite as call sign W7F. If you hear me out there please give a call. (you may be the only contacts I make)
I'll try checking into the net Friday from camp. It didn't work so well last time but I have an idea to gather better cell coverage.

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Travel report from our 7QP camp.
We were located in the Umatilla National Forest just south of Pomeroy WA at 5000'+. It's in the somewhat rare county of Garfield WA, making it kind of fun being the target of contesters.
The weather was cold and wet and windy but we had a good time and made a bunch of contacts. Anybody hear us on 20 or 40 meters? Highlight though was a wild turkey wandering through camp.

Here are a few pictures.
I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Ed N7PHY

W7F Operating Tent.jpg

W7F Operating Station.jpg

W7F Operators having dinner.jpg

Reactions: Prerunner1982

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Travel report from our 7QP camp.
We were located in the Umatilla National Forest just south of Pomeroy WA at 5000'+. It's in the somewhat rare county of Garfield WA, making it kind of fun being the target of contesters.
The weather was cold and wet and windy but we had a good time and made a bunch of contacts. Anybody hear us on 20 or 40 meters? Highlight though was a wild turkey wandering through camp.

Here are a few pictures.
I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Ed N7PHY

View attachment 197129

View attachment 197130

View attachment 197131
What... you were down here in my territory and didn’t tell me... I was up that way Saturday as well. (Angry Face) lol

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
What... you were down here in my territory and didn’t tell me... I was up that way Saturday as well. (Angry Face) lol
Hey Mike. Yes, was in your general region. Other end of the forest anyway.

Reactions: M Rose

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Log and Summary of OB Friday Night Radio Net, April 30 2021

Net Controller VK7VWK, Randall, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

The subject of the Net was "critters" i.e. animal encounters whilst Overlanding

K5TINShaneCAOn a camping trip Anzo Barrego State Park CA with W7BR
W7BRBrentCA
KM4PJNJimmyVA
KI7RAMWilliamNV
K7REXLarryAZOn East West Trip. "State Bird of Louisianna" aka mosquitos.
Has come across gators, had mustangs chasing rigs, and albino lizard.
KJ6DHGRenayCASeen plenty of rattlesnakes run over in AZ. Round 2 talked about others with a lid off wrangler and racoon had gone inside.
KF0AJNRobCOWas+G25 once on an overlanding trip to Canada, cows were at campsite on the way up on way down cows had gone and he fount big cat prints, cougar. Also has had interaction with Camp robber birds (Stella Jays).
Was camped next to others who didn't pack away gear, bears made the campsite look like it had been through a blender. Round 2, Coyotes are't timid when 3 of them are surrounding you.
KI5BEECalvinONWas camped in Lincoln Forest TX using a hamock between vehicle and one tree. Visited by bigger cat than Rob he thinks. Location was in an 80 mile long valley 1/2 mile from end. Also saw elk. Carries bear spray for bears. Round 2, In Virgin River NP food was hung between 2 trees. ringtail cat got food making precise hole in food bag.
KJ7OKAVinnyAZ
N6XXLJoseCA
WX5SKYJonOKOn a camping trip now Chicasaw State recreation area doing HF POTA. Has seen Tarantulas.
On a field day scared by stray cat.
NB9DNeilMAHas 1/4 of venison in freezer. Has seen porcupines, coyotes and bears. Round 2. Has hit a snake, removed with shovel. Could see coyotes with night vision. Invitation to check out his qrz page. Open but abandoned roads.
KJ7MWPGregAZHas seen Jila Monsters, Tarantulas, rattle snakes and elk. Once hit a Coyote in CO.
KE6GVKMikeAZ
KJ7OKEDonAZ

Please join us next week

Reactions: 12poundtest

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
For all the Australians, it's a Gila Monster. The G is pronounced like an H.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Just a quick reminder. Tonight is our Overland Bound Net. Hope you can make it!
Ed N7PHY

Topic: Open Forum

Echolink

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Report is coming. Someone mentioned they wanted to see my plow disc cooker. I used a paella burner as it was cheaper than the burner I wanted. I made this before I learned how to weld so I paid someone to weld a piece of metal to fill the hole in the middle and put on handles.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who joined yesterdays net and big thank you to Renay KJ6DHG for running the show.
Here are the notes forwarded by Renay.
Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:KJ6DHG7 May 2021None
Check InNameLocationI/O
KJ6DHGRenaySan Diego CAMade suggestions for Rob's request for meal ideals. First net control duties.
W7BRBrentDeath ValleyDeath Valley contacts. 60 Starlight Satellites cited. Video to be posted up on OB forum.
KF0AJNRobCORequested ideals for meal plans while camping to start eating hot meals. Just got a 12V fridge.
KI7RAMBillDeath ValleySuggested stir fry as he is in DV with a few members POTA . Suggests to go out with Brent/Shane and group he is with as they have a great time on their outings
N7PHYEdEdmonds WASuggested pre cooked items to heat up. up.
K5TINShaneDeath ValleyOut with Brent/Bill made suggestions with the guys for food prep since they are together
K7BWHBarryShoreline WASuggested sandwich press with handle to make hot sandwiches on grill
KC2MJBDougNYx
K6SJGSeanLa Habra CASuggested foil packs of meats/potatoes and veg wrapped in foil and put on grill. Other names hobo packs or engine cooking ie; foil packs on engine while offroading til lunchtime.
KC0BOBChadSDx
KM4PJNJimmieVASuggested hobo meals which are foil packs

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Thank you everyone who joined yesterdays net and big thank you to Renay KJ6DHG for running the show.
Here are the notes forwarded by Renay.
Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:KJ6DHG7 May 2021None
Check InNameLocationI/O
KJ6DHGRenaySan Diego CAMade suggestions for Rob's request for meal ideals. First net control duties.
W7BRBrentDeath ValleyDeath Valley contacts. 60 Starlight Satellites cited. Video to be posted up on OB forum.
KF0AJNRobCORequested ideals for meal plans while camping to start eating hot meals. Just got a 12V fridge.
KI7RAMBillDeath ValleySuggested stir fry as he is in DV with a few members POTA . Suggests to go out with Brent/Shane and group he is with as they have a great time on their outings
N7PHYEdEdmonds WASuggested pre cooked items to heat up. up.
K5TINShaneDeath ValleyOut with Brent/Bill made suggestions with the guys for food prep since they are together
K7BWHBarryShoreline WASuggested sandwich press with handle to make hot sandwiches on grill
KC2MJBDougNYx
K6SJGSeanLa Habra CASuggested foil packs of meats/potatoes and veg wrapped in foil and put on grill. Other names hobo packs or engine cooking ie; foil packs on engine while offroading til lunchtime.
KC0BOBChadSDx
KM4PJNJimmieVASuggested hobo meals which are foil packs
Thank you for everyone for participating. Rob should be putting up pics after trying some of these cooking techniques we threw out there. Started out with an open session and Rob asked for ways to cook while camping. A lot of people like food and have great ways of cooking. Thank you for helping me get through my first net control stint. I was asked years ago if I wanted to take over net control for an offroad net but I had just start being an active HAM and wasn't ready. I encourage EVERYONE to try it at least once. Even if you never do it again, try it once. Awesome experience!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings everyone. I hope your week is off to a good start.
I'll be your net control operator this Friday. Is there a topic you would like to discuss on the net this week?
Open to any ideas.

Thanks
Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
Reminder, tonight is our weekly Overland Bound Ham Radio Net. Open topic this week; bring any questions you have or just check in and let us know how you are doing.

Following our net will be the bi-weekly Tech Round Table hosted by K7RFS beginning 1900 PST/2200 EST.

I hope you are doing well and can join tonight. And 'll leave you with something interesting; Amateur Radio License Map | Ham Info
Type in your call sign and see how many hams live near you.

Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Topic: Open
Net Control: Ed N7PHY - Edmonds, WA

Echolink
*STARLINK* Conference Node 357087

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 446.525 DPL 023 Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SJG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

Reactions: Prerunner1982

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who could join this week. Below are my notes from this evenings net.
Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
Ed N7PHY

Check InNameLocationI/O
KE6GVKMIKEAZXSYS ADMIN # 830-333-9573
KN6OURCesarCAx
KJ6DHGRENAYCAVolunteerism. Found having an offroad vehicle offered oppurtunity to volunteer. From time to time we'll get a notice that people are needed with offroad vehicles and ham radio licenses. Set around offroad course (runners). Signed up for event but put on hold. Funny noises, reminds me of my first jeep. Worn gas tank skid made klinking noise, rubbing against muffler hook. Muffler shop torched the hook and pushed it aside. Another incident is my current jeep, hit something causing scraping noise. Used washers to create more space to prevent rubbing - transfer case skid. Thinking about bug out food suggestion by Brad. Would like to thank Jimmie for heads-up. Rule to not post way points to prevent vandals.
K7BWHBARRYWAX
N7IADGREGWAX
KE7MUBRADVEIL AZHave a couple of things to expound upon. I found can get power units (solar) with liphium batteries. Plethora of usb powered devices (lights, blenders, toothbrush, fan). Other thing found - fishing magnets to hold tarp and other uses. After living in AZ for 45 years, comment about need for 4-wheel drive. Currently have front wheel drive van, taking out on jeep trails. Discovering other vehicles out without 4WD. Have recovery boards and removable winch, have not had to use either. Made own roofrack for van. 12' painter poles sit in van, strap to roof rack and extend to make awning. (clever idea) Can pitch tent next to vehicle and attach awing to have extra cover. Just thinking about volunteerism, part of emergency services group. They volunteer people for many events. Watched so many youtube videos and noticed emphisis on food. Could use trip as bug out training (no fridge, etc.). Lighter survival food to make into an excercise.
KB7RSVSCOTTWAX
KM4PJNJIMMIEVADoing well tonight. Reviewing youtube how to bleed brakes. Working on LandRover. Picked up dual zone fridge/freezer for camping. Saw something on FB, university prof trolling internet for offroaders on public land to request shut down if water crossing.
KM7OJOHNWAX
K7RFXLARRYAZxTECH ROUND TABLE 7:00 PM
VK7VWKRANDALLHOBARTBoat trip last weekend. This weekend hoping to finish off snorkel installation but pipe running too close to air flow sensor. Wx forecast not so good. Renays activities sound like group we have here. Wireless institute of Australia does radio comms requiring off-road vehicles. Asked about C4FM other week. Within a week a nearby repeater added C4FM.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone,
I'm going to be out this week and next. Is there anyone available and willing to give net control a try? If you would like to give it a try please leave a comment or reach out to myself or one of the regular net control operators. We'll get you all setup.
Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

Reactions: Alex N