Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Is this a QRP-type discussion? Fully self-contained (backpack-sized) set-ups? I'd love to learn more about that.
SOTA is probably more QRP backpack type operation, POTA isn't as much though it can be if you want. With POTA people often operate from their vehicle as they just need to be within the boundary of the park.

OverDavidLand

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Vonderhaar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LNT
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905
I am very new to DMR. I am setting up the Anytone handheld that a lot of people have. Neither of these talkgroup numbers came up on the Brandmeister Talkgroup List (Talkgroups | BrandMeister)

I am just curious if I am missing something or they are not supposed to be on the Talkgroup list? Maybe because it's a bridge?

CharlotteJacket

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Reid
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4NGA
I am very new to DMR. I am setting up the Anytone handheld that a lot of people have. Neither of these talkgroup numbers came up on the Brandmeister Talkgroup List (Talkgroups | BrandMeister)

I am just curious if I am missing something or they are not supposed to be on the Talkgroup list.
I tried both last Friday evening, and I didn't hear anything on either. I showed up on the Last Heard list for both, but I ended up going to Echolink on my iPad to hear the net.

Reactions: OverDavidLand

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Is this a QRP-type discussion? Fully self-contained (backpack-sized) set-ups? I'd love to learn more about that.
For SOTA I’m using a couple of kit built radios... for POTA I’m using my IC-7100 with either a Shortened EFHW antenna or ham sticks depending on the park.

My IC-7100 Go-Kit29E2670A-5BCE-420F-A524-DEFDB1C39F9A.jpegA62726F0-9FBC-4842-9647-617C7F69FC58.jpeg47D4F4C0-27A2-4BA1-9634-5706C217DC0C.jpeg

I don’t have any pictures of my QRP radios as of yet. (I still need to build the kits which will start in a couple of weeks.)

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control again this evening. This week we will be discussing the Parks on the Air (POTA) and Summits on the Air (SOTA) programs. Whether you participate or are just curious we would like to hear from you.

Daylight savings time reminder, the net now starts at 00:30 UTC.

Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Topic: POTA - SOTA
Net Control: Ed N7PHY - Edmonds WA
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 00:30 UTC

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 446.525 DPL 023 Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Another great net tonight. Thank you everyone for joining. Below are my notes - feel free to correct or add to them here in the thread.
Ed N7PHY

Check InNameLocationI/O
KJ7OKEDON AZxBicycle mobile. Early check in. I/O
VA2EVDonaldQUEBECBEEN LOOKING AT SOTA. RECENTLY CANADIAN NAT PARKS ON AIR JOINED US POTA. HAVE AN IDEA; SUMMIT WITHIN A PARK. CAN ACTIVATE BOTH. HAVE SESSION COMING UP WITH SEARCH RESCUE TO INTRODUCE SOTA. TO TEACH MAPS, GPS, PLANNING, ETC. THINK ABOUT GEAR TO BRING, BE AWARE OF WX PATTERNS, BRING SURVIVAL GEAR. NOTE-FAIR GAME TO SPOT YOURSELF SO CHASERS CAN FIND YOU. ALSO NOTE ABOUT RESPECTING PROPERTY. Another suggestion. SOTA and POTA rally points in the OB forums?
KI5BEECALVINONTARIONO EXP WITH POTA. WORKED FROM SUMMITS FOR RADIO FUN BUT NOT OFFICIAL SOTA. iNTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE. WISH PARKS HAD MORE VISIBILITY TO ACTIVITY. LOOKING AT WEBSITE, SEE NOW A LOT OF PROV PARKS ARE INCLUDED.
KJ6DHGRENAYSAN DIEGO CANEW RADIO FOR JEEP ON THE WAY. IC-2730A. INTERESTED AS WELL IN SOTA/POTA
KE6GVKMIKEAZX
K7XPOBRIENAZMOBILE. USED TO BE ACTIVE IN SOTA. HAVE DONE 5/6 ACTIVATION'S AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF CHASING. NO HF IN SHOP SO DIFFICULT NOW. SOME SUMMITS ARE CLOSE TO DRIVE UP. HOUSE LISTED ON HISTORIC REGISTER. NOT ON POTA LIST. MAYBE SPECIAL EVENT STATION?
KJ7NWPGREGAZNO ANSWER
VK7VWKRANDALLHOBART TASMANIAWORKING ON FRIDGE SYSTEM IN VAN. SOTA IS QUITE A BIG THING HERE. QRP/HF ON SUMMITS. HAVE NOT MADE AN ACTIVATION YET.
KC2MJBDOUGNYLOOKING FORWARD TO ACTIVATING PARKS. HAVE FT-891 ON ORDER AND JUST RCVD ANTENNA FOR PARKS. WOLF RIVER COIL ANT. LIGHT AND SIMPLE, QUICK SETUP. ALSO BRING ENDFED WIRE. COULD BE A RENEWAL OF HAM RADIO.(?)
KO4NGARIEDNCNEW TECHNICIAN THIS MONTH. LONG TIME HIKER, PLAN TO DO SOTA/POTA. SKIP NEXT ROUND. hAPPY TO BE HERE. STARTED WITH HAM RADIO AS SAFETY COMMS IN CAR. NOW GETTING INTERESTED IN OTHER ASPECTS.
k7trrickwaX
WX5SKYJONOKHAM RADIO FEE SCHEDULE HAS BEEN APPROVED. $35 TO LICENSE. DON'T HAVE MANY SUMMITS BUT MANY PARKS IN OK.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Happy Thursday! Just a reminder about the weekly OB ham radio net tomorrow night. I'll be your net controller and the topic for this week is "What are your trip plans or what is on your bucket list for 2021 now that things seem to be opening back up?" If you don't have anything planned, then that's ok too. Just jump in and say hello!

Net Details

Topic: 2021 trip plans
Net Control: Shane K5TIN, Prairieville, LA

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

73 de K5TIN

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you for hosting this week Shane. With any luck I'll be camping and radioing from the olympic nat forest. I'll try to check in from there.
Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
Following up on our discussion from a couple nets ago, I pulled off my first POTA activation last weekend. The park was the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest, POTA number K4530. I made 13 contacts calling CQ POTA then a few more once the WPX SSB contest began. I think I've go this thing figured out. It was pretty easy to send in the logs for credit and shouldn't be to difficult announcing and spotting myself (didn't do either this time). Below are a couple of pics.

Ed N7PHY

operator.jpg

YagiSetup.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I will be Net control for Friday April Second. This is the first Friday of the month so it’s open discussion night.

Net Details

Topic: New Ham Night, Open Discussion

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

73 de KJ7MFV

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
I will be Net control for Friday April Second. This is the first Friday of the month so it’s open discussion night.

Net Details

Topic: New Ham Night, Open Discussion

DMR

73 de KJ7MFV
I tried tonight... But I'm missing something with the DMR access. Is there anything special for programming the BM bridge# instead of a regular talkgroup# ? Other TGs seem to be working tonight, but these two bridges I have nothing.
Thanks.
Mike

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
I tried tonight... But I'm missing something with the DMR access. Is there anything special for programming the BM bridge# instead of a regular talkgroup# ? Other TGs seem to be working tonight, but these two bridges I have nothing.
Thanks.
Mike
Hey Mike. I'm sorry that didn't work tonight. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to DMR and talk groups. We may have to work with the Starlink folks to troubleshoot.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who could join tonight. Below are notes from this evenings net. A couple of interesting pro tips in there.

73!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:N7PHY Ed2 Apr 2021
Topic: HAM radio projects, questions, or just hello
Check InNameLocationI/O
kj6dhgRenaySan Diego CAinstalled IC-2730A in jeep by myself. Setup and running. Made first successful QSO yesterday. Been participating in 1 net per week. Committed to taking general exam in April (2 weeks). Learning how to control radio from face of radio. Pro tip: have to program repeater in memory for radio to remember tone settings. Working on awning for JK jeep. How to connect with no basket: how to connect to top - DIY project. VK7VWK - is there a roof rail system? No rail, nothing on top. Composite material.
nb9dNeilParis MEPro tip: you find a repeater freq and trying to figure out tone. Put in tone squelch to decipher what tone is being used.
ke6gvkMikeAZx
k6sjgSeanCAX
K5HLHHarryNMDownload free app called repeater book. Must have internet on phone. App also shows how far from the repeater. Clear node hotspot used for this net. Controls with cell phone.
KM4PJNJimmyVAMike KO4BDT, friend of his and Terry. Firefighter caught in roof collapse, 3rd deg burns. Keep in thoughts and prayers. Working on 96 land rover getting ready for trail. Nothing with radios.
N6EKFXMOBILE
K7TRRickWAX
VK7VWKRandall Hobart TASMANIAWorking on aux batteries and electrics in back of van. Question for the net: looking at coax, which to use for mobile? KJ6DHG - running cable from comet. CD5(?) KM4PJN - mesh for covering cable recommended. (Alex Tech). Another question - C4FM transcievers? Anyone use them? NB9D - running Yeasu ftm-7250D with C4FM. Works great, runs on low power. KM4PJN - members of club run, seems to be workingwell, people happy with it. K5HLH - DMR, DStar, Fusion, have all 3 here. Must have nearby repeater or hotspot. Recomend check local digital repeaters prior to jumping in.
N7PHYEd (NCS)Edmonds WAActivated first park for POTA.
KI7WPGLoraWAxNo mic. Text check in.
vk2dyRobertSydney AustraliaWeather nice. Most common dig mode in Sydney is DMR but repeater coverage is sparse. Hotspot almost mandatory.
kc0pobChadTuscon

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone,
I'll be your net control this week for the Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net on Echolink. It's open topic this week. Anything you would like to talk about related to overlanding, camping, rigs, radios, food, drink, etc. is open for discussion.
I'm looking forward to chatting with you all Friday.
Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Topic: Open Topic
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds WA

Echolink

Check the WMRA web page for linked repeaters, talk groups, etc.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Another great net tonight. Thank you everyone who could join us. Below are the raw notes. Let me know if there is anything you'd like to follow up on or discuss as a topic during the net.
As mentioned during the net. If anyone has some time to help us out with the net it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you have a great weekend!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:N7PHY Ed9 Apr 2021New version of Echolink available.
Topic: OPEN
Check InNameLocationI/O
KM6ZNGDrewCAMobile. Avid outdoors man, at work now. Recent trip south to baja Mexico camping. Drive 2016 KIA soul with roof and bike racks.
VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaPut off installing snorkel on van, wx forecast was bad. Drive a VW multi-van, 4 wheel drive with high clearance. Looking at lift kit soon. T6 - Snorkel question: To avoid moisture intake in diesel engines; new vehicles have filters mounted load, less dust intake.
K7XPOBrienAZWorking in shop tonight. Working on expedition fuel tank coming in tomorrow. Last week had coffee meet greet in phoenix then camp in mountains. Jeep pilot. 2016 jku rubicon hard rock edition. Snorkels useful for dusty environments and pull cooler air.
K7BWHBarryWAReplacing toy 4runner. Looking for more room inside. Looking at Merc Sprinter. Question: why install a snorkel? Is there a ram air effect?
N7BMHBrianIDLifted 96 jeep Cherokee. Working on tower project, rohn 25 up 60', 72' at tip of antenna. Jeep has snorkel for cold air intake side. Filter outside at top of snorkel. Fine mesh filter keeps out stuff.
KI5BEECalvinOnt CANADADriving a toy tundra @ 100k miles. Got to get out last weekend, new shutdown.
KE6GVKMikeAZx
kj6dhgRenayCADrive jeep since 2004. 2014 jk unlimited 4 door. 100k miles already, 300 week commute. Had a friend who ran snorkel on LJ jeep. Not sure there is a snorkel. Have to drill another hole in jeep.
km4pjnJimmie va2003 suburban. also 96 discovery 1 rebuilding. Snorkel: dust is really bad in july/august. Going through air cleaner per month. Going to put one on land rover. Question: Where is Will.
ac9yqJasonIN2015 toy Tacoma with 83k miles. Great vehicle. New ham on echolink, went to extra quickly and got cool call sign. Just learning in radio and overlanding.
vk2dyRobertAustraliaDroid Star for IOS. Checking into DMR nets. Works well.
2e0ewmEllisUK LondonJust checking in in listening to the net.

Reactions: Ballbearing