Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just a reminder we are looking for net control operators. I already run several nets throughout the week, otherwise I would offer my services.

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hey Mike.
The DX Commander is everything you described. I have the classic (I think that's what it's called) version running 40 through 10 meters. The setup time for me is around 15 minutes, a little longer in freezing rain, and compresses down to a very light, portable package for transport. Thanks to the simple fan-dipole design it is very easy to cut to desired frequency (only have to do that once) and is quite broad banded. The vertical polarization works well for long distance communication as advertised, almost too well. I expected to be on a hilltop where it would have shined but in the valley I might have been better off with a horizontal antenna with higher takeoff angle for more local contacts.
That's a lot of words to say I really like this antenna. I'm thinking to carry two antennas; this one for long distance communications and an endfed halfwave wire antenna to pick up 80 meters and provide regional coverage on 40 and 80.

73!
Ed N7PHY

Here is the DXC setup on the beach at Ocean City, WA. Really shines out in the open like this.
DXC_Beach_N7PHY.jpg

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Just a reminder we are looking for net control operators. I already run several nets throughout the week, otherwise I would offer my services.
To echo Mike's request, we need some help if the net is going to continue. Anyone willing to jump in and take a Friday?

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
We do not have a net control operator yet for this week. Topic is at the discretion of net control but I have some ideas if it falls to me. Standby Mike, I'll invite you to our net control thread and try to share the schedule spreadsheet with you.
Ed

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We do not have a net control operator yet for this week. Topic is at the discretion of net control but I have some ideas if it falls to me. Standby Mike, I'll invite you to our net control thread and try to share the schedule spreadsheet with you.
Ed
Thank you for the invite to the net control. Looking forward to the behind the scenes discussions...

Any ideas for net topics of discussion?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello Everyone,
Reminder we have the OB Friday net tomorrow. New Ham Questions and Answers, so feel free to come with anything related to overlanding radio, etc. Or just stop by and say Hi.

Hope to hear you on the air tomorrow.
73 - Mike R. KJ7MFV

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Topic: New Ham Questions and Answers
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds Washington
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC
OB Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/ham-radio-weekly-net-2/

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you everyone for checking in tonight. we had 11 check ins counting myself. I enjoyed being your host tonight.

Overland Bound Friday Night Echolink Net Control Log​
Call Sign
Name
KC2MJB​
Doug​
New York​
Round 1: Had a lot of snow up there in Syracuse, New York. Second time on net, very interested in Overlanding. Looking for Ideas to get his van set up for mobile amateur radio operations. Round 2: Visits Black Lake Net Control suggests Cranberry Lake for some good fishing. Small World.​
N7PHY​
Ed​
Washington​
Round 1:Made an Antenna Launcher to launch bean bags with a rope over trees to hoist wires. Round 2: reminder Vancuver BC QSO Party Saturday 8-8 pacific and Sunday 8-4 all bands 160m to 10m AM/FM/SSB/CW/RTTY no WRK Bands!!!​
KD8SUM​
John​
Alabama​
Nothing Heard​
K4RUF​
Chris​
North Carolina​
Been a free member since 2018, just baught a membership, got badges this week. 1st time on the net. Interested in QRP on the road.​
K7XPO​
Brien​
Arizona​
Highly reccomends QRP Labs QCX 5w CW Transceiver kits. Also interested in the new QCX Mini. For more information check out http://www.qrplabs.com
NK7VWK​
Randall​
Tazmania​
Glad to hear new stations on the net, reminder we need more “Net Control” operators. Question, has 2 Transceivers and wants to run 1 antenna- What do I need to make this work? Answers- Antenna Switch ran in reverse? Duplexer​
K6SJG​
Shawn​
California​
in and out​
KT4OZ​
Terry​
Washington​
Disappointed in the semiconductor factory fire. Kenwood Radio is discontinued before it was ever produced. Working on his shack​
KJ7OJX​
Gregg​
Arizona​
not an overlander, but checking in for second time as waiting for the tech net. Has a Yaesu FT857D trying to find out what “FKP” means in the mode menu​
KJ7MFV​
Mike​
Oregon​
working on a group buy for QRP Labs QSX Mini Transceiver Look for details coming up.​

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hello folks! Just a reminder that tonight is Net Night! Hope everyone will join in and hopefully I'll have a topic for the net by then. hihi.

Net Details

Topic: TBD
Net Control: Terry KT4OZ Covington, Va

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Here are the notes from this weeks net! Thanks everyone who joined in!

We had 7 Check-ins.

Overland Bound Amatuer Radio Net
NCS:KT4OZ
Topic: How to run power to the rear of your vehicle
ke6gvkmikeAzin/out
vk7vwkRandallTasmaniar1: nothing R2: Vehicle he's currently in he's lucky. Has factory option with added 120A rated cable under the passenger seat. Using a plastic stick, it's easy to route cables through a system in the floor. Has smart charging system so you have to use a DC-DC system. Never had battery failures because of the charging system, only from over discharge from use. Works better than solenoid type system.
kj7dueKimMontanaR1: actually doing a bit of power routing. 2016 JK. Groment on driver's side to put thigns though that will self seal. Ran individual wires and coaxes for multiple radios. Also have full size pickup, easier to do. Ran #6 along frame rail to truck bed. Firewalls are tough to find a way through. R2: Comment for protecting wires. Alex Tech sleeve for protecting wires. Power to the bed of the truck uses DC-DC charger for RV. Uses Bluesea Systems fuse block powering 3 radios and air compressor in the truck.
ki5beeCalvinOntarioR1: All ears, can't speak much for running power to the back. Cap has a dome light but that's it. Been wanting to add circuits. Proud of running coax to the top. Punched a hole in the top of the truck and hasn't looked back. Ran coax for antenna down the b-pillar and under driver's seat. Using a through hole NMO mount. R2: Has added rear back-up lights and ran along the tubing of the rail to the battery. Uses corrigated tubing for protection under the hood. Likes Alex Tech.
ko4bdtMikeRoanoke, VaR1: In the Cherokee, ran a hill's off-road gear power box. In Tundra but going to follow wires for the cap. R2: Just listening in, hasn't done any other mods.
kc2mjbDougNYR1: Cheating a little bit. 1965 Corvair Van. Wouldn't have to run a wire very far because the battery and engine are in the rear of the van. Just using a VHF radio in the van. If he wanted to do it the hard way, there's a tunnel through the middle of the van and could pull the cover and add it do it. Uses a mag mount antenna but looking forward to doing something else. R2: Got info for forum!
n7phyEdWashingtonAnnouncements: None. R1: All ears like Calvin. Has run lots of cable in buildings but not in vehicles. Does anyone run any armor or protection for cables. What if you needed aux power in the back and just had a battery in the back of the truck. R2: TX issues

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control this week for the Overland Bound Ham Radio Net on Echolink. Our topic this week is mobile HF setups; radios, antennas, etc. I'm also curious if anyone uses their mobile rigs to participate in contest roving, parks on the air, and other programs. If you don't operate HF mobile/portable please join us anyway and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Topic: HF mobile / portable setup and operations
Net Control: Ed N7PHY - Edmonds WA

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

Reactions: KF0APA

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
We had a pretty lively net tonight. Thanks to everyone who could make it.
My note taking is getting worse and worse but here are a few words if you couldn't make it.
73!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:N7PHY EdSuggestion to move net to bi-weekly schedule
Tech round table tonight at 0300 utc. Larry K7RFX
Topic: HF mobile setup and participation in mobile / portable operations
Check InNameLocationI/ONotes
N7IADGregEdmonds WAxListening in
KB7RSVScottWAx
K7DKMarkWAHad 50w rig but traded for IC705 at 10 watts. Couple of broken yaesu antennas. 40 and 20 m. And dedicated 80m antenna. Screwdriver antennas.
KI5BEE/VE3CalvinONTNo HF mobile, tech license. Friends have hf mobile rigs with setup with TNC to hit their HF from parking lot or hotel room. Bi-weekly net, good if it encourages more participation.
K7XPOBrienTusconNo HF mobile but interested.
VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaWx not good for vehicle projects. Also interested in HF mobile. Considering best setup. We have an outpost radio system but does not cover ham bands. Newer units can be adapted. Have transceiver I can remote control. Looking at single whip antenna with spade connector to select band. And bring some sort of wire antenna for at comp.
KE6GVKMikeAZx
KG4MBUBrianCAx
K7NDOIndeoSeattle WANot sure I'd be interested in HF mobile. So busy with VHF / UHF. Interesting though.
kj7?Too much noise to copy call sign. Learned a repeater in Mesa AZ is having problems and likely cause of the noise. Very sorry we couldn't pick you up.
KM6GWUDanCAHF - built into go box and paired with wolf river coil antenna. Bring that when offroading.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control this week for the Overland Bound Ham Radio Net on Echolink. Our topic this week is mobile HF setups; radios, antennas, etc. I'm also curious if anyone uses their mobile rigs to participate in contest roving, parks on the air, and other programs. If you don't operate HF mobile/portable please join us anyway and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Topic: HF mobile / portable setup and operations
Net Control: Ed N7PHY - Edmonds WA

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

Is there a way to get in via a hot spot like a pi-star?

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
I believe you could setup a hotspot then connect to one of the allstar nodes but I'm afraid I've not dabbled in that bit of amateur radio yet. Check out the White Mountain site for connected nodes and repeaters for a place to start.

If you send a message to the site via the contact button you'll likely get a quick response from Mike KE6GVK. He may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

I believe you could setup a hotspot then connect to one of the allstar nodes but I'm afraid I've not dabbled in that bit of amateur radio yet. Check out the White Mountain site for connected nodes and repeaters for a place to start.

If you send a message to the site via the contact button you'll likely get a quick response from Mike KE6GVK. He may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY
Yeah, I checked the site. None of the options listed are available on pi-star from what I'm seeing.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings Everyone!
I hope everyone is healthy and safe.
The net controllers have been mulling over a couple of options to make attending and running the net a little easier. They are;

1) Move the net to a different night of the week. Sunday evening has been suggested but may compete with local nets. What do you think? Have an open night of the week that would work better for you?
2) Change the net schedule to every other Friday. If we go this route it is easier to fill the net control position but were afraid we might loose what momentum we have.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Ed N7PHY

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Greetings Everyone!
I hope everyone is healthy and safe.
The net controllers have been mulling over a couple of options to make attending and running the net a little easier. They are;

1) Move the net to a different night of the week. Sunday evening has been suggested but may compete with local nets. What do you think? Have an open night of the week that would work better for you?
2) Change the net schedule to every other Friday. If we go this route it is easier to fill the net control position but were afraid we might loose what momentum we have.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Ed N7PHY
If you move to a night other than Friday or Saturday (US Time), I'll probably be at work. If I'm working from home still that may not be too much of a problem unless I have work meetings at that time.
Currently, your Sunday night would not work for me at all but with the change of seasons, the net will be 2 hours earlier in your summer/our winter, which might be ok.
I Still prefer your Friday, but if it had to change your Thursday (my Friday) would be my preference.

Randall

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Log and Summary of OB Friday Night Radio Net, January 22 2021

Net Controller VK7VWK, Randall, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

KE6GVK – Mike AZ: in and out

KC2MJB – Doug NY: in and out

KE7MU – Brad AZ: in and out

KO4BAT – Andrew TN: in and out

N7FO – Kirk AZ: inand out

KN6MWX Joel CA

K7XPO Brien AZ

KI5BEE – Calvin ON(CA)

N7BMH – Brian ID.

KD8SUM – John OH (Audio problems)

Open Topic

KN6MWX – Joel, Recently took Technician then General Ham exams. About his LX570 and Trip to Cleary’s City.

K7XPO -Brien, Lights to back of vehicle, galley, power panel. Water filtration. Talked about putting radio in shop.

KI5BEE Calvin, Off self isolation, weight calculations. Ice and snow melting. Asked 4wd recovery causes advertised in Australia.

KE7MU – Brad, Talked about that he had owned many 4wd vehicles but now had a 2wd Promaster Van equipped with roof rack, solar, generator, winch, towstrap, spotlights and portable IC7100. Asked about any other equipment he might need. Brien suggested “Beefy” compressor. Calvin added anchor or another vehicle.

VK7VWK – Randall (Net Controller), Rear shelving system and snorkel projects progressing.