Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
And as an FYI to Ed's post above, Friday after next, 12/18/20, I'll be your net control and I'm thinking we will expand on the J pole antenna topic that was touched on last night. We discussed this topic quite a awhile ago (last year I think) and it was a big hit so I figured that since we have so many folks that likely missed that one, we'd do it again. This is just a heads up and I'll post a reminder a few days before. It was a BIG hit the last time and a lot of fun!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control again Friday evening for the Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net.

This week will be Open Topic so come with your questions, comments, stories, or just stop by to say hello.

By the way, our first Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net was held December 7, 2018. Happy Anniversary to us!

Thank you everyone who has joined us over the last 2 years making this so enjoyable. I hope you can make it this week.
73!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for December 11,, 2020

Topic: Open Topic
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds Washington
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC
OB Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/ham-radio-weekly-net-2/

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

Reactions: JeepingMike

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who could make the net this evening.

Our check-in stations:
KI5BEE/VE3 Calvin Toronto Canada
KM6GWU Dan CA
N6CES Frank WA
NB9D Neal ME
KJ7OKE Don AZ
K6SJG Sean CA
K7XPO Brien AZ
VK3WG Wayne Australia
KI5IMZ Jay TX
KE6GVK Mike AZ
K7RFX Larry AZ
KD8SUM John OH
W6AAX Al CA
KJ7NWP Greg AZ
N1KN Brad CA
AB5JK Jimi TX

It was open topic night so we covered a little bit of everything. A few highlights:
  • Congratulations to Dan KM6GWU on passing the general class license exam!
  • Calvin is nearly finished hooking up new reverse lights on the rig. Last step getting the switch installed in the dash.
  • Frank N6CES is getting his repeater setup at his new home.
  • Neal NB9D had a bunch of snow that took out most of his antennas. Just made it back to the main road.
  • Talked fishing with Brien and Randall. Encourage everyone to pack a small spinning rod and a little gear to give it a try while adventuring.
  • John KD8SUM asked how a person would go about building an echolink/allstar node for a repeater. Mike KE6GVK gave us some intel and pointed us to the White Mountain Repeater Association site for details.
Announcements:
  • The OB net will be held Christmas Day. Randall VK7VKW graciously offered to host.
  • The Tech Round Table which follows our net every other week will also be held December 25th.
  • Please join us next week. Shane K5TIN will be host and diving deeper into the j-pole antenna topic that come up recently.
73!
Ed N7PHY

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Happy Friday!
I'll be your net control this evening for the Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net.

This week will be resurrecting the J pole antenna topic so come with your questions, comments, ideas, etc or just stop by to say hello. We covered this topic quite a while back and, IIRC, it was pretty lively. I've been toying with TRYING to make one (or a few) to kill some time this winter, so I'll be taking copious notes!

73!
Shane K5TIN

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for December 18, 2020

Topic: J poles and portables (all bands)
Net Control: Shane K5TIN,

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Happy Friday!

This week will be resurrecting the J pole antenna topic so come with your questions, comments, ideas, etc or just stop by to say hello. We covered this topic quite a while back and, IIRC, it was pretty lively. I've been toying with TRYING to make one (or a few) to kill some time this winter, so I'll be taking copious notes!

73!
Shane K5TIN

Net Details

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

Enjoyed the net tonight! Good job.

Reactions: ru108 and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Happy Friday!

73!
Shane K5TIN

Net Details

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

Very good Net...

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed it. Great info was put out, so thanks to those who shared their knowledge. I’ll get the notes posted by the end of the weekend.
I’ve been out of the rotation more than in this year and it was great to be able to get back in the saddle a bit as net control.

73!

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
OB Net notes

12/18/20

TOPIC: J poles and other portables​

• N6CES – 10 Meter J pole…have a local noontime commuter net. Some use verticals and some use beams. We decided to all go beam.. found online..16.5 feet, 450 ladder line. Works great. Can throw it up in a tree of non- metallic boom, 2x2, etc. www.qsl.net/n1lo/10mjpole.pdf. Feed line 6 inches up from RG58 then the taps then to a coil 5 turns. Instructions and diagram online and has all the tech info. Very low angle of radiation.
  • KJ7LYZ – Newer ham that got general back in January 2020. Did build an arrow 2/70 that is on the house. Turned out well. Adjusted well and can get out around 70 miles on simplex. Real easy to build. Only recommendation, instead of going to Home Depot or Lowes. Go to a metal supply place for money savings. 2. Nothing else to add. Think its neat to hear others from across the country and from Randall in Tasmania. Definitely a bucket list destination.
  • KJ7MFJ – Have built the same one LYZ built. SWR about 1.12 and sitting at 25 feet, approx. 90 miles simplex. Getting out good. Also built a Texas cactus which is a copper pipe. That one is mounted at 10 feet and still able to get about 90 miles. Very low SWR, 1.15 on 2 and 70. Like the copper one out of the two. Looks good too. Takes maybe a couple of hours to build them. 2-4 hours. Copper took the longest due to waiting to cool. 2. Got looking through my notes, have a whole notebook of stuff. On J pole, running into issues finding aluminum coupler nuts. Ones hardware stores don’t usually carry, but the specialty metal or specialty supply stores usually do. Also, for 2M, be mindful of the lengths of the reflectors. This is critical for the SWR to line up.
  • K7XPO – Been wanting to build a copper J pole for some time. Glad to hear that people have had success, so maybe I’ll do it in the next couple of months. Have also built my SOTA antenna, but don’t really count that since it was so simple. 2. Nothing else to add. Have a good holiday week.
  • K7ZOO – J pole is a handy antenna and have built a few. Copper cactus version is surprising in one regard…looks like it should be insulated, but it doesn’t need to be. it is electrically insulated at 2M and have it connected to the ground. Using the folding ones with twin lead is also great since they are so portable. 2. A bit off topic, the station on the ISS will be broadcasting SSTV and this can be picked up by a J-pole. Starting on the 24th of this month with SSTV app on your phone held up to the speaker of your handheld.
  • VK7VWK – Haven’t given it any consideration until the topic came up for tonight. Sounds interesting. Nothing else antenna wise at the moment. 2. Nothing more to add on the J pole tonight. Will remind that he will be the control next week on Christmas Day. Will be Open Topic since we try to do it every week and need to keep the record going.
  • W6AAX-just built a 6M square out of $40 of copper. Spent an afternoon building it and it has worked well. Lots of info floating around. 2. About two years ago, local ham turned me on to SSTV from the ISS. Recorded it on my cell phone. It was Russian and pretty amazing. Hopefully will be in English this time. If building an antenna an analyzer is your friend. Using Nano VNA and is an important tool. Definitely use an analyzer when tuning any antenna you build.
  • KE7FLY – First time on this net (Welcome!) Most important is to have an SWR meter. 2. Found the easiest antennas to build are ½ wave dipoles. Romex is easiest to use. Use analyzer to tune.
  • KE6GVK – in and out.
  • KJ7OKE – Just monitoring. Mostly in a learning mode.
We also had two In and Out stations who checked in at the beginning. My apologies for not including them in these notes. I forgot to save my Netlogger file to the server when I logged off at the end.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

73!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
OB Net notes

12/18/20

TOPIC: J poles and other portables​

• N6CES – 10 Meter J pole…have a local noontime commuter net. Some use verticals and some use beams. We decided to all go beam.. found online..16.5 feet, 450 ladder line. Works great. Can throw it up in a tree of non- metallic boom, 2x2, etc. www.qsl.net/n1lo/10mjpole.pdf. Feed line 6 inches up from RG58 then the taps then to a coil 5 turns. Instructions and diagram online and has all the tech info. Very low angle of radiation.
  • KJ7LYZ – Newer ham that got general back in January 2020. Did build an arrow 2/70 that is on the house. Turned out well. Adjusted well and can get out around 70 miles on simplex. Real easy to build. Only recommendation, instead of going to Home Depot or Lowes. Go to a metal supply place for money savings. 2. Nothing else to add. Think its neat to hear others from across the country and from Randall in Tasmania. Definitely a bucket list destination.
  • KJ7MFJ – Have built the same one LYZ built. SWR about 1.12 and sitting at 25 feet, approx. 90 miles simplex. Getting out good. Also built a Texas cactus which is a copper pipe. That one is mounted at 10 feet and still able to get about 90 miles. Very low SWR, 1.15 on 2 and 70. Like the copper one out of the two. Looks good too. Takes maybe a couple of hours to build them. 2-4 hours. Copper took the longest due to waiting to cool. 2. Got looking through my notes, have a whole notebook of stuff. On J pole, running into issues finding aluminum coupler nuts. Ones hardware stores don’t usually carry, but the specialty metal or specialty supply stores usually do. Also, for 2M, be mindful of the lengths of the reflectors. This is critical for the SWR to line up.
  • K7XPO – Been wanting to build a copper J pole for some time. Glad to hear that people have had success, so maybe I’ll do it in the next couple of months. Have also built my SOTA antenna, but don’t really count that since it was so simple. 2. Nothing else to add. Have a good holiday week.
  • K7ZOO – J pole is a handy antenna and have built a few. Copper cactus version is surprising in one regard…looks like it should be insulated, but it doesn’t need to be. it is electrically insulated at 2M and have it connected to the ground. Using the folding ones with twin lead is also great since they are so portable. 2. A bit off topic, the station on the ISS will be broadcasting SSTV and this can be picked up by a J-pole. Starting on the 24th of this month with SSTV app on your phone held up to the speaker of your handheld.
  • VK7VWK – Haven’t given it any consideration until the topic came up for tonight. Sounds interesting. Nothing else antenna wise at the moment. 2. Nothing more to add on the J pole tonight. Will remind that he will be the control next week on Christmas Day. Will be Open Topic since we try to do it every week and need to keep the record going.
  • W6AAX-just built a 6M square out of $40 of copper. Spent an afternoon building it and it has worked well. Lots of info floating around. 2. About two years ago, local ham turned me on to SSTV from the ISS. Recorded it on my cell phone. It was Russian and pretty amazing. Hopefully will be in English this time. If building an antenna an analyzer is your friend. Using Nano VNA and is an important tool. Definitely use an analyzer when tuning any antenna you build.
  • KE7FLY – First time on this net (Welcome!) Most important is to have an SWR meter. 2. Found the easiest antennas to build are ½ wave dipoles. Romex is easiest to use. Use analyzer to tune.
  • KE6GVK – in and out.
  • KJ7OKE – Just monitoring. Mostly in a learning mode.
We also had two In and Out stations who checked in at the beginning. My apologies for not including them in these notes. I forgot to save my Netlogger file to the server when I logged off at the end.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

73!
Looks like I’m building another 2m antenna next month. Our local ham club is hosting another antenna building class... this time instead of a J-Pole we are doing a dual quad beam.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Merry Christmas greetings everyone! I wish you and your family a healthy, peaceful holiday. Thank you for being part of our Friday community!
Ed N7PHY

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
We had an excellent turn up of 14 stations, for the Christmas Day, Friday night net. Just about everybody seemed to be having a good Christmas despite the unusual circumstances.

Network Controller

VK7VWK – Randall TAS

In and out check-ins

KE6GVK – Mike AZ

KJ7OKE – Don AZ

K7RFX – Lawrence AZ

Regular Check-ins

N7PHY – Ed WA

KJ7MFV Mike OR

N6EKF Robert AZ

WX6SKY – John OK

KJ7OJX – Greg AZ

KE7FLY – Don AZ

KM6GWU – Dan CA

K4DDU – Drew CA

KN6AFO – James CA

VK2DY – Robert NSW

Next week’s subject will be around food and cooking. Join us at 20:30 hrs eastern time, 7:30 hrs pacific time, (12:30 Saturday, Australian Eastern Summer Time) on the *STARLINK* Echolink conference server node 357087.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control operator this week. Usually we host the 'new Ham Q&A' on the first Friday of the month but I'll be breaking tradition. This week we are talking food! Specifically, camp cooking gear and favorite recipes for your overland trip.

The last time we talked camp food we covered everything from roast rattlesnake to tomato and banana sandwiches. What are your favorite camp foods and how do you store, transport, and prepare it?

Look forward to chatting with all of you Friday, but if you can't make it then I'll wish you now a wonderful New Year!

73!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for January 1, 2021

Topic: Cooking gear and recipes for overlanding.
Net Control: Ed N7PHY,

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerunner1982

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who joined the net tonight. We had a small group but a very lively discussion. Below are my raw notes which have some real nuggets of information worth investigating if you are looking for camp kitchen gear or the perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
73 and Happy New Year!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net
Date:1/1/2021Net Control:N7PHYEchoLink: 357087
NCS:Ed N7PHY
Topic: Camp Cooking and Recipes
Check InCall SignNameLocationI/ONotes
1k7xpoBrienAZJust returning after couple days in wilderness. Trailer broke on trail, left it behind. Replacing swing arm tomorrow. Camp kitchen advice; anyone thinking about a fridge-will say it's probably the best update you can make. Pays for itself in ice savings. Size same size as cooler is much more roomy because of no ice. Can bring warm food and chill when we want in fridge. Everything stays bone dry because no ice. (shrimp, chicken). We use dual-zone snow master - awesome. Engle also makes fantastic fridges. ARB is ok but lower end. Trough stuff and smittybuilt ok but don't last as long. (1 year) Have 2 burner cook partner stove. Have single burner butane stove top is also awesome, nice to have for coffee.
2k7dkMarkWAx
3kc8jokGaryNERecipe recommendation: Bannock. Pioneer explorer era recipe. Bread can be mixed up in pan or wrapped on stick (think). Can make spiral twist on stick and cooked over fire (like roasting marshmallow). Also like Johnny Cake made with cornmeal, pan fried in oil or butter. Saw something utube; skottle widget. Reminds me of thing chuck wagon chef used - wok type device made from plow disc. Fit over campfire. Cooked everything over this for a week long trip. Found skottle comes this design. K7XPO - save money by going to Mexican cook store and ask for Discada.
4ke6gekMikeAZx
5k7zooCurtAZHave food assembly process. Perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 2 pieces of bread. Spread thin coat of PB on both pieces of bread. Jelly on one piece but not to edge. PB seals around edge to keep it from oozing.
6vk7vwkRandallTasmaniaHave Engle fridge. Coming up to 30 yrs old and going strong. Highly recommend. Going to try military type food packs supplemented by rice, pasta and whatever decide to add. Stove is also 30 yrs old, runs on white gas (MSR). Will be using in coming trip. Run on fuel called Shelllite. (?) One thing I wouldn't be without is my vacuum packer. Solves problems with things leaking, etc. Keeps things fresh for awhile. K7XPO - poor mans food packer. Fill sink with water. Put food in freezer bag and place in water. Pushes air out.
7WX5SKYJonOKx
8w6aaxAlCARecently acquired a new generator (HF 3500 watt). Anyone have experience going from gas to propane? Retrofit? Per KC8JOK - what is motivation for overlanding use? Worried about shelf life of gas. VK7VWK - Pollutants are not as bad running propane.
9VK2DYRobertAustraliaChecking in from Sidney.

Reactions: El-Dracho and Downs

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Almost as soon as I sent the message, I got bumped off the server and couldn't get back in so I didn't really even get to listen to the net.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Almost as soon as I sent the message, I got bumped off the server and couldn't get back in so I didn't really even get to listen to the net.
I wondered where you went Jon. No worries, got you in the log anyway. Happy New Year!

• Sad
Reactions: M Rose

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I was going to get dinner last night and happened to catch the begining of the net. I wish I could have stuck around to listen but I didn't want the pizza to get cold. Now that I know it's on, I'll tune in next week.