San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
I just made a contact with KM4KMU on 2m FM simplex. He was out a sea off the coast from me (San Diego). Check out his mobile rig on his QRZ page - that's the setup for getting out of trouble overlanding!

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Tried to join via DMR yesterday. No joy :(... Not sure why, but just didn't connect to the correct node/group. Guess I'll try it again next Friday, and if still no joy, use the Echolinkm app on my phone.

Reactions: MTN RNR

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
I'm heading out on another day trip today, so notes from last night will be up tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone who joined in, it was a fun net!

@Wotan I will try connecting to Grits-n-Gravy this week via DMR and see if it works for me. They say they also have an Allstar link as well.

-Ted

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Notes from Friday night's Unofficial Overland Bound Echolink Amateur Radio Net 8/9/2019:
Net is on Echolink Node 591550 the USA-Grits-n-Gravy Server starting at 17:30 PT, 20:30 ET, 00:30Z (during daylight savings time).

Net control: Ted Thompson WD6TED, San Diego, CA, OB# 13782

Topics: 1)What ideas do you have to promote this net in the OB community.
2)What happened with you in the last week with respect to overlanding?
3)What happened with you in the last week with respect to ham radio?

Check-ins: 11 (including net control) Note: The repeater in VA was not working with Echolink this week.

1) KJ7BHN - Brent - Olympia WA - OB# 3124: Brent kicked of the net asking for ideas on how to publicize the net. I'm assuming he has the notes from this. But suffice to say, if you have any ideas feel free to let him know either in this forum or send him a message.
Brent is working on a 409m phased array antenna and has just acquired a liner amplifier.
Brent also recently returned from cruising the Rhine River all the way into Amsterdam. Sounded like a great trip!

2) N7PHY - Ed - Edmonds WA - OB# 15391: Not a lot going on in overlanding but is planning routes for WA. Volunteered to be net control for another net during the week. We also briefly discussed his "stealth" antennas he has on his house. He might also post some pictures on the forum.

3) KT4OZ - Terry - Covington VA - OB# 3710: Terry has been experimenting with Coleman lanterns of various vintages. He is attempting to combine citronella with the lantern fuel to come forth with a light that will not attach bugs. Early attempts have been unsuccessful and have left one lantern needing to be cleaned with carburetor cleaner and fuel. However, he intends to persist in this endeavor and will apprise us of his progress. Terry also won an FT-60R at the Hamfest last week (see last weeks net notes).

4) K7XPO - Brien - Tucson AZ - OB# 3553: Confirmed that Overland Bound will have a booth at Overland Expo East. Lately been slammed with things in life, but going to the mountains on Saturday (yesterday) with the family. Also been too hot to get to a lot of the summits he likes for SOTA (Summits On The Air) activations. He will also be working on an overlanding comms video he will be putting on his YouTube channel. Helped out with a stratospheric balloon. 2 Hr flight. There will be a 2nd launch in a couple of weeks.

5) KJ7HKV - Tyler - Florence AZ: Made his first QSO this week! Congrats! Seems to be decided on getting a Kenwood TM-710G for his overlanding rig. A choice heartedly endorsed by Terry KT4OZ. He is on his way to Prescott AZ this weekend as he won a raffle for a kayaking tour on a lake near there. He has put Ram mounts in his rig for mobile phone etc.

6) NB9D - Neil - Bedford ME: Lives off grid in ME. Has setup a repeater using a couple of HTs and a duplexer. Works well for him - he can run around with 1W and be heard.

7) W8ILL - Will - Taylor MI: Still working on gearing his 3-wheeled bike. No HF work this week - bands are down. It's been very hot in the Detroit area so not much outside activity other than working on the bike under a shade tree.

8) W0NUT - Tom (Old_Man) - Park City UT - OB# 8300: Has been absent from the net for a few weeks as now living in Park City UT and has lots of opportunity to get into the mountains on the weekend. Sure beats NYC. On last trip had 8 overland bound rigs and 17 kids! Heading to Moab week from this coming Friday and has an open reservation for one more rig if anyone wants to join them.

9) VK2DY - Robert - Sydney NSW AUS: Become cold in Sydney. Got his DV Mega finally.

10) KD67DAW - Tom - West Palm Beach FL: Mentioned he heard a rumor that ARRL is petitioning the FCC to allow tech license holders to have more privileges on HF bands (this still needs to be confirmed).

11) WD6TED - Ted - San Diego - OB #13782 (Net Control): Did my 1st 2 SOTA activations this week. The 2nd involved 5 hours of off-roading and included contacts on 20m - my 1st ever HF contacts! Looking forward to getting to a few more summits that involve overlanding and hiking and SOTA work in the near future. Lots of fun!!!

Net was ended at 19:11 PDT, 22:11 EDT, 02:11Z

Thanks everyone for participating! Spread the word about this net!
-73 to all!

Reactions: CTO1Mike and ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Just a reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tonight. I'll be your net controller for tonight's topic which is Station grounding - mobile and base, (per a conversation several weeks ago with @MTN RNR :grinning: ) but as usual, pretty much anything else will go as well. Hope you can join us.

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PDT/2030 hours EDT
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

73! Shane, K5TIN

Reactions: MTN RNR and TerryD

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Just got this little baby delivered yesterday. QRP, but it's a great radio. 80-10m w internal antenna tuner. This is the final say in emcomms when trees or canyon walls block sat comms, no cell coverage, no repeater - there's always HF. Throw a wire over a tree limb or use a vertical. Weighs under a pound (before battery). CW and RTTY translators built in too.

IMG_4082.jpg

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Finally got in via DMR today. Some difficulty initially due to connection delays, but finally got acknowledged :). Had to run, but happy to have made it via DMR. Hopefully, I'll have more time next check-in :)

Reactions: 12poundtest

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Just got this little baby delivered yesterday. QRP, but it's a great radio. 80-10m w internal antenna tuner. This is the final say in emcomms when trees or canyon walls block sat comms, no cell coverage, no repeater - there's always HF. Throw a wire over a tree limb or use a vertical. Weighs under a pound (before battery). CW and RTTY translators built in too.

View attachment 113434
She's a beaut'. :smile:

Reactions: MTN RNR

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Finally got in via DMR today. Some difficulty initially due to connection delays, but finally got acknowledged :). Had to run, but happy to have made it via DMR. Hopefully, I'll have more time next check-in :)
I tried to get in on DMR this week, but my radio hasn't been programmed for awhile and all the repeater frequencies around here have changed. I need to find my programming cable for my radio.

Reactions: Wotan

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Glad it finally worked and sorry about the game of 20 questions before the bugs disappeared. [emoji16]

Reactions: Wotan

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Glad it finally worked and sorry about the game of 20 questions before the bugs disappeared. [emoji16]
No worries. I have checked into some IRLP nets via repeaters here, and there were similar issues due to multiple repeater tails... Now I know, will key up accordingly ;)