South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
Terry can we get a night shot with it on and maybe a side shot? It looks good and I am trying to narrow down what radio I want to put into the truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drifterman

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Hey all,

I've been listening in on the net through a scanner app on my phone for most of the winter. I actually took and passed the Technician exam back in December but then there there was the government shutdown and after that I found out my application had been lost. Anyway, that finally got straightened out and I have my license! This past week I was able to get Echolink setup and my call sign validated! Looking forward to joining the discussion from Wydaho!

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Hey all,

I've been listening in on the net through a scanner app on my phone for most of the winter. I actually took and passed the Technician exam back in December but then there there was the government shutdown and after that I found out my application had been lost. Anyway, that finally got straightened out and I have my license! This past week I was able to get Echolink setup and my call sign validated! Looking forward to joining the discussion from Wydaho!
Glad to have you. It's open topic week so if you have any questions please ask. We need more new hams to ask questions and get comfortable with their equipment. Brent KJ7BHN

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Glad to have you. It's open topic week so if you have any questions please ask. We need more new hams to ask questions and get comfortable with their equipment. Brent KJ7BHN
Brent,

Thanks! I live in a pretty rural area so studied, tested, and have been trying to learn as much as I can all on my own. That being said, I have a lot of Q's haha. I'll definitely think about it and get back to you if I can come up with something specific though.

Dana

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Hey all,

Whereabouts in Wydaho? I lived in Star Valley from 06-15 before I had to make an emergency move back here to Louisiana because of family issues. Still miss it dearly.
Shane - K5TIN

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Whereabouts in Wydaho? I lived in Star Valley from 06-15 before I had to make an emergency move back here to Louisiana because of family issues. Still miss it dearly.
Shane - K5TIN
Hey Shane,

I'm in Teton Valley (Alta, WY/Driggs, ID). Just on the other side of jhole from Star! Yeah, it's pretty nice out here. I still haven't found anywhere else I'd rather live! Although, I lived on the North Gulf Coast for quite a few years and every once in a while I do miss those beaches.

You ever make it back out this way?

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Nice! I haven’t been back since we moved, unfortunately, but rest assured I’m scheming to make the trip. My wife worked at St. John’s and still does, although remotely and she gets to go back every now and then for training. I just haven’t been able to make my work schedule line up to make the trip with her. I’ve got about another 15 or so years until I can retire, so the plan is to see about buying a second home and spending the summers up there. I doubt I’ll care to deal with the winters by then, lol.

We are going to be fairly close come mid May, though. Vacation this year is Expo West, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands and Arches, so that’ll have to do for now. Brent and I are going to try to link up for some of it, so looking forward to that.

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Nice! I haven’t been back since we moved, unfortunately, but rest assured I’m scheming to make the trip. My wife worked at St. John’s and still does, although remotely and she gets to go back every now and then for training. I just haven’t been able to make my work schedule line up to make the trip with her. I’ve got about another 15 or so years until I can retire, so the plan is to see about buying a second home and spending the summers up there. I doubt I’ll care to deal with the winters by then, lol.

We are going to be fairly close come mid May, though. Vacation this year is Expo West, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands and Arches, so that’ll have to do for now. Brent and I are going to try to link up for some of it, so looking forward to that.
Right on! Yeah, the winters are definitely long out here haha.

Sounds like a great trip! I make it down to UT quite a bit just to extend summer as much as possible and that's a pretty incredible place too! I still need to explore AZ though. I was hoping to make it down there this spring but some friends invited me on a fall trip to GC and Sedona. Already looking forward to that!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hey all,

Welcome Dana! I look forward to meeting you on the net. Ed - N7PHY

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Good morning everyone! Be sure to join us tomorrow night (3-29-2019) on the Overland Bound Echolink Amateur Radio Net! It's an Open Topic net so bring your questions and know-how as we enjoy another hour passing the mic around the table.

73, Terry KT4OZ

Net Details:
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 8:30PM Eastern Standard Time

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if you have any ideas for net topics or wish to take a turn as net control one evening, please let one of our net controllers know and we'll gladly get you set-up. We could use the help with the spring coming on strong when we all start travelling and getting outdoors more.

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Hey all,

Congrats on taking and passing your exam.

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Good morning everyone! Be sure to join us tomorrow night (3-29-2019) on the Overland Bound Echolink Amateur Radio Net! It's an Open Topic net so bring your questions and know-how as we enjoy another hour passing the mic around the table.

73, Terry KT4OZ

Net Details:
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 8:30PM Eastern Standard Time

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if you have any ideas for net topics or wish to take a turn as net control one evening, please let one of our net controllers know and we'll gladly get you set-up. We could use the help with the spring coming on strong when we all start travelling and getting outdoors more.
Thanks so much, Terry. I’ll be checking in to my first OB net tomorrow night.

73, Liana KM6ZPM - waiting for my vanity call :)

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
I happened to be in Phoenix yesterday on business and stopped by the HRO location there. They just got a shipment of FTM-400s so I picked one up. I think they sold out again during the time I was in the store.

Now I need to get an antenna and mount and get it installed!
Same happened to me at HRO Anaheim. There were a few 400’s in stock so picked one up. They’re sold out again though.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
OB Net notes 29MAR019

Topic – Open topic

Control – K5TIN (Shane)

Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net EchoLink node 591550

Check-ins:

1 KJ7BHN Brent WA Mobile today. Welcome to everyone. In case anyone is looking for the rally point for the net, having an issue, but Brien, Kent and Michael are working on it. Tonight is open topic and next week will be Death Valley. Did a SOTA activation and also multiple chase. 2. SOTA: took HT on a hike, found couple guys activating 20-30 miles away, called out to them and then chased them. The next weekend, picked my own summit, took HT on 2m FM, got 4 contacts for a 2 point activation. This was in Arizona. MN135 was the summit. Pretty cool.

2 KE4GIV Jim VA Good evening. No topic suggestions, but tomorrow is supposed to be nice. Plan on working on my Jeep and Tacoma tomorrow. Have been having issues with forum, but know its being worked on. Being patient. 2. SOTA interesting. Would have to find a tall building around here in order to do it, lol. 2. Like earlier, working on vehicles. The JK is having intermittent firing codes, so will have to remove manifold to change the coil. A bit involved. as for the Taco, vac hose leaks. Weather wise, finally warming up nicely tomorrow. Around 80 after a cold and wet winter. Will give me time to get the stuff done. Hopefully nothing really serious on either vehicle. Off next week, so will be doing spring cleaning and yard work with some relaxation thrown in.

3 N7PHY Ed WA Good evening to everyone. At Brent: congrats on the SOTA activation. Which summit? Details will be neat. Speaking of HF antennas, been struggling, but have 84 foot end fed in a tree. Some success, but could be better. 2. Looking up sota.org.uk as we speak. Confirmed that Brent did activate that summit and is the first. Super cool. Cleaning reminds me that its time to start working on the boat. Nothing else really going on. Brent asked Ed to detail what he was talking about with troubles on his end fed. Ed gave setup, but just having issues mostly with the noise floor. Picked up some flex weave which is bright in the sun. Got a few things to rework, but working on it. (Short discussion with Ed and I about his noise floor issue. Mostly what I’ve found has worked for me so far and what he’s already done.)

4. KT4OZ Terry VA Feeling somewhat better. Well enough to check in. Been kind of rough day. Managed to finish 710 install and playing with APRS. Spent some time today studying how to attach a GPS to it to display stations. More research to be done. Congrats to Brent on SOTA. Hoping to do a few myself this summer. 2. Nothing to add for this round. Going to head to bed and try to get this stuff that's got me kicked. Supposed to have an Xterra party soon with some guys coming over to help. Hope everyone has a good week.

5 NB9D Neal ME Thanks for having us on the net. In Paris, ME. Stationed in the militia up here. Off grid on solar power. Been experimenting with APRS a lot and like it. Especially the aprs.fi interface. Be nice if they could integrate SSTV into it.

6 WX5SKY Jon OK Been a stressful week. Jeep engine issues also daughter's Jeep having charging issues. Wife also might have to have surgery, so been stressful. Not much to say tonight. 2. Winter decided to make another appearance here this week. Other than that, nothing else but tearing down engines.

7 W8ILL Will MI Just got home. Working on mower and my truck. Just spring time maintenance stuff. Good to hear everyone again. Always enjoy it. Please take your time tonight. No rush. 2. Beautiful day here today. Still working on the mower. May just buy a new one, but don't know yet.

8 KJ7EXK Dana WY Missed the first part of the net, but nothing much to add. Thanks for the net. Was driving over Teton Pass when it started. Only snowed a little today, but ready for spring.

9. K5TIN Shane LA (net control)

Summary:

Nine check ins tonight including Net Control with lively discussions on Brent’s recent SOTA adventure along with a continuation of the pre-net discussion regarding HF antennas and QRN/QRM issues.

Next week’s topic will be Death Valley. I believe this will be one of our “Part 2’s” IIRC, so bring your knowledge if you’ve been there and your questions if you haven’t. Should be a good time.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the OB Net Coordinators and Net Controllers, I’d like to once again thank everyone for checking in and supporting our effort. 73! Shane – K5TIN