Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@TerryD and @Michael, not a problem at all. Family always comes first.
@12poundtest , thanks for clearing that up. I obviously completely whiffed what you said. I'm not sure if its my Old Timers or my allergies acting up tonight, so.... LOL

ETA: I'm also going tomorrow to take my upgrade test for General, so that may have me a bit distracted too.

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC
Thanks for hosting the net tonight. I was having issues getting my radio to connect so ended up using the Echo Link app on my phone and it is definitely not ideal for carrying on a conversation. Although I have had my ham license for several years I am very much an amateur on it. I need to get more experience.

I looked at the Expo west website and it looks like a blast. Going to talk to my wife about trying to go.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Appreciate you checking in! EL is a PITA on a phone until you get used to it. Much more user friendly on a computer and headphones w/ a mic (unless you’re working net control and swapping between the program and your Excel log) so that might be worth looking into if you’re interested.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
@TerryD and @Michael, not a problem at all. Family always comes first.
@12poundtest , thanks for clearing that up. I obviously completely whiffed what you said. I'm not sure if its my Old Timers or my allergies acting up tonight, so.... LOL

ETA: I'm also going tomorrow to take my upgrade test for General, so that may have me a bit distracted too.
Good luck on the General test! I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park.

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
I need some help/info. New to this ham business and echo link. I typically get on using my phone app. This next Friday I'll be at an overland bound rally in southern UT and won't have cell service. There is an echo link repeater near out site. How can I use my HT to join our ham net through the repeater? Or am I dreaming since I won't have a computer? I have a boefang uv-5r.

Thanks
Jason
KJ7EBG

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I need some help/info. New to this ham business and echo link. I typically get on using my phone app. This next Friday I'll be at an overland bound rally in southern UT and won't have cell service. There is an echo link repeater near out site. How can I use my HT to join our ham net through the repeater? Or am I dreaming since I won't have a computer? I have a boefang uv-5r.

Thanks
Jason
KJ7EBG
Jason. First get permission from repeater owner and codes to turn on echolink. If ok then you will be able to enter dmtf codes and have the repeater connect. Just remember that everyone listening on that repeater will be on our net ( which can be good) and nobody can use until you disconnect

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Back in the USA and catching up on everything. Make sure you attend the NET this Friday, we are going to have a guest speaker and should be a lot of fun. Next week topic is NEWBIE Net. Going full circle with first topic. A chance for all NEW Hams to ask questions, get on the air, get used to the equipment etc. Thanks to @TerryD and @ru108 for handling the NET and controlling while I was gone.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Don't forget about the OB EchoLink net TONIGHT at 2030 EDT/1730 PDT on the Grits and Gravy node! Our Coordinator @Brentc17 (KJ7BHN) has arranged for a "special guest" to cover an as yet unknown topic, so be sure to join us to find out what he has in store. @12poundtest (N7PHY) will be your Net Control for the evening. Until then, 73!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
OB Friday Net Notes:

Date: March 15, 2019
Net Control: Ed – N7PHY
Topic: Special Guest – KM6YSL Michael – What brought you to Overland Bound?

Summary:
Tonight, we had a great net! Thank you everyone who joined or listened in. We logged 17 check-ins (plus net control) and a great discussion about Overland Bound, what brought us here and what we find most valuable. Michael, KM6YSL joined as our surprise guest and introduced the topic. If you were unable to attend, check out the notes below and I hope you can join us next Friday.
73 – Ed, N7PHY

Note * Next week we will be discussing the Overland West Expo and preparations for anyone making the trip. Check out the web site and come prepared with any questions you may have.

Check-ins:
KM6YSL – Michael – OB #0000
Introduction: Overland bound has been going for quite a few years now. Our goal was making overlanding as easy as possible. Suggested topic - why you initially joined OB? We would like OB to double down and focus on what is important to the community. Follow-up – I grew up in great outdoors and was drawn back to it. Went out to find resources and findings were mixed. Decided to start a community with an environment which builds up, not tear down. In terms of land use - leave it better than you found it. Thank you everyone. Feel free to contact me on forums with any OB improvement suggestions.

KJ7BHN – Brent – Olympia WA – 13675
Announcements: Welcome everybody. Tonight's net announcement is the introduction of our special guest - KM6YSL – Michael - OB# 0000. How I found overland bound; I was watching expedition portal for 5-6 years but seemed too big. I already had my ham radio license to help me while out remote. Joined because of the net and community in the forums - helpful people.
Note – next weeks topic is a discussion on the upcoming Overland West Expo. https://www.overlandexpo.com/west

KG6JXZ – Pat – 7193
Located in Modesto CA - Ran across overland bound 3 years ago on YouTube. Been out 4 wheeling and camping, watched videos and checked out the website. Joined to connect with others and have met great people.

VA3KXS – Kirk – 17113
Located in SW Ontario. Very excited to see ham net start up. Watched OB videos and liked the organization. I have not meet fellow OB members yet, looking forward to getting together.

KI7RAM – Bill – 9206
Friends got me into overland exploring a couple years ago. Looking at websites and found Overland Bound. Was instantly enamored with format and code of ethics. Joined over 1 year ago and has watched the group grow. Appreciate what OB is doing. Started a local group in Reno with another member. Modeling off of Michael and Cori’s code of ethics. Go safely and tread lightly.

K5TIN – Shane – 12189
Located in Prairie view LA - First like to say welcome to Michael. Got ham license not yet a year ago. Grew up with dad and granddad playing with radios. Decided to do something other than just renting cabin for vacation, wanted to start camping again. Found Trans America trail and OB while researching. Impressed with org and vibe from community. Not the arguing found on other forums. Everyone has been helpful. Looking forward to meeting others on the forum and looking forward to expo west.

WX5SKY – Jon
Located in OK. Quick check in and check out tonight.
KF7DWB – Helen
Located in Tacoma WA. Joined the net for the first time tonight. Just monitoring and enjoying the conversation.

K7XPO – Brien – 3553
Located in Tucson AZ. So, a few years ago after moving back to Tucson, I joined some rock crawler off-road groups. I’ve been a lifelong hiker and trail runner, with leave no trace mindset. Realized that rock crawling wasn’t the group type for us. Looked around, somebody directed to me to forums of OB. Eventually reached a point of joining after gaining so much value from the forums. Found the community to be immensely valuable.

N7YMZ – Mario
Like the others. Part of another local club which lost a number of members in the last years. Found Overland Bound on YouTube and the web. Looking forward to meeting others. Been off-roading most of my life.

K4KWQ – Tim
Mobile check in on VA repeater. Lost connection by the time we came down to him in the rotation but appreciate the repeater check-in.

W8ILL – Ole’ Man Will
Big news is Will earned his general class license! Will extended his outstanding hospitality as usual and encouraged us to continue using the grits-n-gravy EchoLink node as long as we like. (Ed comment)

W4MJJ – Jim
Located in North Caroline – repeater check in. Here to looking for a different net but really enjoying the OB net. Will look into overland bound.

G3SEA/KH6 – Paul
Checking in from Hawaii. Mentioned a cold spell in HI (40’s night / 70’s day). Also monitoring an amazing 76 yr old woman sailing solo around the world. Can be found at 7.160 MHz at 0230 UTC daily.

KT4OZ – Terry
Had kind of given up on hard core off-roading, was not enjoying the vehicles as much as would like. Wanted to build a milder vehicle to be able to travel to places to off-road and spend time with the family. Want to be safe. Stumbled into OB and liked everything I saw.

W9RDB – (sorry, did not get name)
Portable in desert hot springs ca - just looking around on EchoLink and checked in. Nice weather in CA. Here 2 more weeks then heading back to WI.

AB5JK – Jimmy – ‘Post Net Check-In’
Administrator for the StarLink EchoLink node. Letting us know, due to changes in the starlink net schedule, Jimmy had the entire starlink connected along with subsidiary systems connected tonight. Will be doing the same going forward due to changes in starlink net schedule. Starlink will automatically connect at 17:25 and auto disconnect 19:00 (pacific).

KE0IWW – ‘Post Net Check-In’
Found the net through StarLink and thoroughly enjoyed it.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Fellow Overlanding Hams,
I encourage anyone interested and available to join tonight's net. With Overland West Expo fast approaching we'll be discussing meetups, caravans, and anything else that might come up.
The net is open to all licensed amateur radio operators but anyone/everyone is welcome to listen on the broadcastify link listed below. (if you do monitor the net through the link please let us know in this thread how it sounded)
Ok, that's it from me. 73 - Ed N7PHY

Net Details:
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Date: March 22, 2019
Net Control: Ed – N7PHY
Topic: Overland Expo West

Emergency Traffic: None

Check-ins:
KJ7BHN – Brent – 13465
Mobile - made it home for second round. Going to the expo, coming from Olympia. Looking forward to the classes. Thinking about coming down through Utah/Moab. Will try to meet up with Shane. Thanks net controllers.

KE4GIV – Jim - 6531
Had some troubles getting online but made it. Cannot make west expo but hope to make the east expo. Was not able to make it last year but hope to make it this year. I like the idea of making a trip out of the expo run.

VA3KXS – Kirk – 17113
Have not been to any of the expos. Curios what folks think is the biggest draw to attending. Yeah, may have to put an expo on the list for the future. Sounds like an interesting opportunity.

KF5UZW – Mark – 11087
Attended OEWest last year. Learned a lot and had a good time. Leaving Sherman TX, the morning of 14th, staying at KOA flagstaff before expo campgrounds. Look forward to exploring before expo starts up. Last year was great, got to meet the utube people I follow. Looking forward to meeting an Ausie with a patriot camper in tow. Lives near the Patriot camper vendor. Doing the full experience but has not received emails yet. Brent - mentioned he got his camping tickets right away. Answer: Brien - the email comes out mid to late March sent out in batches in order of tickets ordered.

KT4OZ – Terry – 3710
Been installing a new Kenwood in the rig but has battling weather challenges. Hope to be on APRS this time tomorrow. Have not been to any of the expos. Not located too far from expo east location. Has other trips planned this year, not likely to attend. Keeping options open. Other happenings: trip to Pittsburgh to Joe M. was great. Celebrating Feb birthdays.

K5TIN – Shane
Working tonight so will just listen in.

WX5SKY – Jon
Working away as well. Not able to make it this year. Storm spotting info - shoot info on forum. (Ed)

W8ILL – Will
Doing alright. Building antennas - fan dipole for HF. Soldering wires together tonight.

KI7RAM – Bill
Reno - Overland expo, a unique place to visit. Made a 2 week trip out of it last year. Traveled through Moab on the way there. Was able to visit with vendors to find fenders, bumpers, sliders, etc. Was able to make a decision on what to buy. Not able to attend this year, looking at other vehicles in bend or. Couple of things; if folks go and not camping in campground plan to spend an hour to get in (lines/traffic). Also, check the vendors. Some only go to the east.

K7XPO – Brien
OB will have a booth. Saturday will be an unofficial meet up at the OB booth for members. For those camping onsite, we'll try to gather in one spot. VIP early entrance folks will hold space for other OB members. Couple other things to call out; camping is a sardine can. Embrace the experience and enjoy the crowd. The class sizes are much better. Popular classes cap at 15-20 people. Other classes have only 6-7 people. Consider walking over to class even if it's full because people drop out or instructor doesn’t mind extra attendees. Special guest from Australia is intriguing. Generally, the weather is really nice there but there was one year there was a blizzard.

KM4GHN – Mitch – 17426
New to OB. Just checking in and listening. Moab would be a dream. In a nutshell, I used to be more involved when I had a couple of FJ's (old and new). Different chapter now, in Roanoke VA winding down broadcasting career, own a Tacoma without a lot of gear. Boon docking with wife and dog.

AB5JK – Jimi
Glad to make it in before net closed. Just returned home. Made it through another week; last week was spring break, did over hall of radio system in buses - school district.

G2SEA/KH6 – Paul
Aloha. Beautiful weather. Rain storms forecast for the weekend. Been monitoring VE0JS sailing the Indian ocean, heading towards Australia. Can listen in 7.160 MHz at 0230 UTC.

KG5WBO – Dan
Louisiana - First time checking in to the net. Recently got General class license (back again). Catching up on learning. What time do you start?

Summary: We had 14 check ins including non-OB members picking us up on the StarLink network. Great discussion this evening about Overland Expo West with some planning and pro-tips exchanged.

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone again next week.

73 – Ed, N7PHY