Service Branch
USN
OB Net notes 08FEB2019

Topic – Overland cooking – favorite recipes and pro tips

Control – N7PHY (Ed)

Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net EchoLink node 591550

Check-ins:

1. KJ7BXG - John – Portland OR
Talking on phone (but sounds good). Recently got into overlanding (4 runner). Experimenting with Dutch oven and camp fire cooking. Looking forward to hearing others experience. Great listening to everybody’s ideas.

2. KB6POE – Richard – Fontana CA - 16621

(I asked about his POE suffix. He is in IT but coincidence) Not much experience. Just starting to get into all of this. Backpacker coming into overlanding. Carry pocket rocket and small cans of fuel. Seen Skottle use in videos. Seems versatile. Have tried the mountain house meals for quick prep.

3. KJ7BHN – Brent – Olympia WA – 13675

Announcements - Been on the road last couple of weeks. Topic for tonight is camp food. Thanks to net controllers and invitation for anyone else to join net control. Have list of future topics: 12V mobile fridge setups, Death Valley, HF antennas, HF radios, SOTA, BAJA Mexico. If you have other topics to add to the list please let Brent know. Open topics every other week.

Cooking - Moving every day so prepares food ahead of time. Salad add protein added later. Loves eggs any way you can cool them! One pot, one skillet kit for easy cleanup. Cans of soup and add-water packs. Hibachi with steaks if have more time. Thinking about something we had as kids. Sandwich clamp cooker, two plates to hold bread and jam and hold over fire. One tip: Potatoes, add peppers and onions for taste. (can be found at Cabela’s – Ed)

4. N6DWA – Dan - ? – 9939

Unfortunately, Dan lost connection to the repeater before we could get to him.

5. VA3KXS – Kirk – Ontario Canada – 17113

For camp food looking to get in and out. Overlanding for photography and don't have much time. Hardboiled egg, fruit, coffee. Dinner made in single frying pan with veggies etc. Single pan to clean up. Tip: use coarse salt and oil for quick cleanup. Agrees with Ted, Jet Foil is great stove. Tried folding stove but little ones wouldn't get hot enough. Pro tip; took a trip and took bananas. Thru in boxes and forgot. Smell stuck with the gear for 6 months.

6. WX5SKY – John – OK

Wife fan of potatoes. Made on foil next to camp fire. (no red meat anymore) Thinks wife’s allergy is due to tick bite. (?) Back to food; love breakfast burritos. And Desert! Banana boats with banana, chocolate, marshmallow, over fire and eat with spoon. Surprised nobody makes an MRE. (?)

7. W8ILL – Will – Taylor MI

Our friend Will. Takes a can of turkey spam and sandwich bread to make at camp fire.

8. KM6YSF – Gary – Sacramento CA

Spam brings back memories from childhood. Egg batter and cracker crumbs with spam for dinner. While backpacking I would prep ahead of time. Omelets with veggies put in baggies. Going with ice chest now. Dutch oven sounds interesting to me now. Cooking carnitas now with extra salsa and tortillas. Will often freeze meat with marinade. Question would like to try homemade ice cream while overlanding. Has anybody done that?

9. WD6TED – Ted – San Diego CA

First time checking in to net over iPad. Camping and backpacking my whole life. For camping, my favorite is a NY steak over a camp fire with potatoes. But, must make changes and now a vegan. Now wife and I are overlanding, we treat overlanding more like backpacking. All kitchen and fuel in single box. Jet foil folding stove best I've used. More like backpacking using freeze dried food, etc. Direction I've been going. (love to make chili) Mexican food is always a go to for camping. Easy cleanup and delicious with left overs often. Moving in direction of not carrying a cooler, more like back packing.

Summary:

We had 9 check-ins and a very entertaining and lively discussion around camp cooking and food preparation. Access to the net varied between straight up PC, iPhone while mobile, and 2m repeater link.

Reactions: Drifterman

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
OB Net notes 15FEB2019

Topic – HF antennas

Control – N7PHY (Ed)

Check-ins:

1. KJ7BHN – Brent – Olympia WA – 13675
Announcements: Thanks everyone for checking in. Open topic tonight. At comm meeting this week decided will have recap notes in the thread contiguously (one after another) for historical reference. Topic from Brent: going through general license test week. Thoughts for base HF antennas? Follow-up: Awesome info from the group. Had idea of putting up hex beam but was guided by Elmer to put up inverted V dipole to start simple. For those using tuners; base or remote? Anybody using inverted V?

2. KT4OZ – Terry – Covington VA – 3710

Glad to make net tonight. Bought Yeasu handheld at hamfest, enjoying. Suggests simple dipole to start with. 80-6 meters from common feed point. Antenna wire made from aluminum elect fence wire. Worldwide communication from dipole. As for inverted V, any sort of dipole will be similar. My feed point is up 18' at corner of house. Antenna is not straight, 90 deg angle due to constraints. Done some modeling, does not appear to effect directionality 20M band or below. I use tuner in shack because it's a portable setup I can take remote. Like to work low signal modes (ft8, etc). Check QRZ, look up G0EVY; 80meter 2 element beam is impressive (extreme other end of spectrum from wire antennas).

3. KC9NYM – Alex – Kentucky

Seconds the dipole idea. Fan dipole and auto tuners. Rarely finds a band I can't tune. And good station ground. First, difference between end fed and dipole, more radiation due to feed point in air with dipole. Use tuner with 1:1 choke at tower and station. Helps with emergency comms outside of band and can match with tuner. Second with guys running 857 and 897 radios.

4. WX5SKY – John – OK

Also using a fan dipole, 2 elements, cut for 20 and 40 from speaker wire. Really a 4-band dipole. Does not require a tuner. Do not use a tuner but better to be closer to antenna. My dipole is inverted V, works fine. Unrelated: weather.gov to find schedule and webinars to storm spotter training. MFJ telescopic antenna; loading coils combined with whip will cover 80 -? meters. Can collapse down. Making a copy of the wolf river coil for mobile operation.

5. WD6TED – Ted – San Diego CA – 13782

Have general license and rig but not on HF yet. Tend to work from field. On the papa system (linked nets in ca), brought up antenna subject. General consensus was random wire but net conversation ran 2.5 hours. Appreciates fan dipole idea. Most important thing picked up tonight; don't over think this (from Brien). Related: About to upgrade 4 Runner with bumper/tire gate. Torn between spending $ on truck or ham radio. Learning CW and up to 5 wpm. Looking forward to SOTA involvement.

6. K5TIN – Shane – LA – 12189

Working on general class license before making western states trip this year. Have neighborhood issues with antennas. Looking at random wire or hide fan dipole. Studying between work for license. Winter field day with local club; got to work HF. Appreciated everyone’s input tonight.

7. W1OWX – Randall – OK

We lost connection with Randall but do appreciate the check in.

8. K7XPO – Brien – Tucson AZ – 3553

Little tip for gen exam study, check out the KE0OG you tube channel (David Casler), has extensive playlist for U.S. amateur radio exams. Found really helpful. Have dipole mjf2012 at house, multiband off center fed. Used 80 through 10 meters with tuner. Similar ant for 300W input model 2010. For SOTA (summits on the air) I use non-resonant random wire. Enthusiastic about Ted learning CW. Recommend CW academy (google). One tip, Don’t listen to CW slower than 20 wpm. Can send slower but listen at 20 wpm due to character length. Don't count dits and dahs. Tuners: all qrp and run ant wire into window at home group. (4 states group qrp antenna tuner - kit around $50)

9. KM4KDF – VA Mobile (didn’t catch name)

Driving in to work and heard net on repeater. Will look for net again. Likes fan dipole made from speaker wire. At work now. Signing out.

10. KB6POE – Richard – Fontana CA – 16621 Mobile

I use a dipole. Licensed since mid 80s as novice and upgraded a few years ago (extra class). Made a dipole with wire found around the house. 10W into dipole taped to bedroom wall was good enough to contact east coast. Also recommends solid grounding. Sold IC7300 due to high noise floor, may have been poor grounding in building. Likes QRP and building own antennas. Inching forward in traffic (4 hour commute?). Heathkit tuner with big roller inductors. Seems it can tune anything.

11. W4OW – David – Roanoke VA Mobile

Quick check in. Driving I81. (Scratchy but could copy)

12. W8ILL – Will – MI

Interesting subject. Encourages the group to stick around as long as we like. (Much appreciated!)

Summary:

We had 12 check-ins and a great discussion about HF antennas for the home and field. Two mobile check- ins over the Roanoke VA repeater and KB6POE in his endless commute home with a digital mobile check in.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
OK folks, after a recent discussion by the Comm Committee, it was decided that we (the net controllers) will start directly uploading our notes directly to THIS thread each week in order to keep a running tab and to make it easier for everyone to go back and review what was discussed during the nets. With that said, the below NINE (9) postings will be all of our net log notes from the start of this journey, which began on 12/21/18. I PROMISE I'm not just trying to boost my post count. I'm simply posting what has already been covered... :blush: Thanks in advance for putting up with this!

Also, as a heads up for the curious, this week (2/22) will be Open Topic once again. We try to do this every other week in order to digest the previous week's discussion and work on ideas for future topics so we, hopefully, won't run out of things to talk about. You'll notice this pattern as you go through our prior notes. And as always, ideas for future nets are always welcome. Just hit up one of the controllers and we'll work them in.

ETA, please don't laugh at our typos and misspellings. Y'all talk faster than some of us can type, LOL!
Sounds easy enough Shane. Thanks for the update and getting us caught up in this thread.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
GOOD FRIDAY MORNING EVERYONE, its net day! Details for tonight's OB EchoLink net are below.

Friday Night Weekly Net 2-22-2019

NET Controller will be : RU108

Time : 5:30PM PST (17:30 hrs)/8:30PM EST (2030 hrs)

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Topic this week: 12V fridges and setups. Whadda ya have and do you run it full time or only on trips?

Topic next week: Open topic (BTW, we're still soliciting topic suggestions to add to our list, so hit up one of the controllers if you've got an idea!)
We also have some "Part 2's" from prior popular topics that we're going to start weaving into the mix over the next couple of months, so keep an eye out for your favorite past topic.

Last weeks NET notes, as well as all notes from the beginning, are posted above and will be updated as a new post in this thread by the Net Controllers ASAP each week.

HEADS UP: Our Coordinator, @Brentc17 has arranged for a "special guest" on the 3/15/19 net. He's being stingy with the details at the moment, so...STAY TUNED!

73, K5TIN (Shane)

Last edited:

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
I wasn't able to get echo link to work on my phone last night. I did listen in on the brodcastify link. I just way to share my experience with fridges.

I have a Wynters 40qt fridge. Had it for three years now. It spends it time in my overland trailer. Even though it's more of a lower cost budget fridge it's done a great job. Been heavily abused with the trails it's been on. We can pack food for a week in it easily for a family of five. Before the solar I could get an easy 3 days from battery on the trailer. Solar has changed that for me completely. Having the fridge is great. Wish I had 10qt fridge for the rig for those days on the trail to carry lunch and dinner. Big space saver too. I was able to put enough refrigerates food on there to not take any coolers for 15 guys for a 3 days slot canyon exploration trip.

Sorry if this post is out of line on this thread. Hopefully I can get echo link next time.

Jason
KJ7EBG

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I wasn't able to get echo link to work on my phone last night. I did listen in on the brodcastify link. I just way to share my experience with fridges.

I have a Wynters 40qt fridge. Had it for three years now. It spends it time in my overland trailer. Even though it's more of a lower cost budget fridge it's done a great job. Been heavily abused with the trails it's been on. We can pack food for a week in it easily for a family of five. Before the solar I could get an easy 3 days from battery on the trailer. Solar has changed that for me completely. Having the fridge is great. Wish I had 10qt fridge for the rig for those days on the trail to carry lunch and dinner. Big space saver too. I was able to put enough refrigerates food on there to not take any coolers for 15 guys for a 3 days slot canyon exploration trip.

Sorry if this post is out of line on this thread. Hopefully I can get echo link next time.

Jason
KJ7EBG
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that solar has given us with fridges the ability to keep the battery/s topped up so we are able to stay out longer and pack more the fridges full.[emoji41]

Reactions: Drifterman

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
OB Net notes 22FEB2019

Topic – 12V fridges. Use and setups

Control – K5TIN (Shane)

Check-ins:

1 KJ7BHN Brent WA mobile 1. Hello. Will be short due to being mobile. Thanks to the controllers. Topic is 12volt fridge setups but will wait till my turn. Next week is an open topic. Reminder to submit a topic either on the net tonight or on the forums. Announcement: 3/15 will be a special guest speaker. 2. Have had Whitner 48 qt that is used in the Jeep. Hooked up to the cigarette lighter w/12 foot extension cord. Would then hook it up to solar on the expedition trailer at night to keep the battery charged. They are nice but not needed, especially when starting out. Also stay away from the chillers since they don’t get down as low as you need. Used a good bit at QTH as well for beer.

2 KI5AXG Dennis OK 1. Do not own a 12v fridge. Seen plenty of YT vids, but not sure of the value yet. Interested in hearing what everyone has to say. 2.Curious how many people running dual batteries? Have had that in mind for ham radio to keep from running starting battery down. Mitch answered: Did have a dual battery with and inverter.

3 N7PHY Ed WA 1. No real input on fridges, but more into coolers due to fishing. Interested in what’s available, though.

4 KT4OZ Terry VA 1. Not much on the topic, but has been looking aro0und a little. Specifically the Dometic 50 qt. Done some reading on this one. Fridge seems like you can drop down from a cooler size. Looking at doing a drawer build for the Xterra and discussing using a small popup camper with my wife, so a fridge may be redundant. We'll see. 2. Would like to add dual battery for radio and fridge plus other uses. Most is custom work that is vehicle specific. You can check for info on the various websites and forums for your particular vehicle.

5 NB9D Neal ME 1. Off grid and run a 48v system here in camp. Run a 2M system off batteries. Generally use a chest freezer and have had good luck. 2. nothing heard

6 K7XPO Brien AZ 1. Have a fridge. Went for years using a marine cooler, but ended up getting a free one after writing up some install notes. Had to hunt to fit, but got a Costway 54 qt. Same as a Smittybuilt, but much cheaper; $379.00 on Amazon. Feels like about double the size since not having to pack ice. Ton of storage. Built a surround around it and recommend getting a slider for it and a surround so you can put stuff on and around it. Can also get the Smittybuilt insulating bag for it. there is a 3-4 degree temp swing, but not bad after you get it dialed in. 31 degrees seems to be the sweet spot here in a desert climate. 2. Re: covers on Amazon for Costway, not sure if Amazon is carrying them anymore, but 4WP has them, I think. As for dual battery, living in the desert, wired in an SAE port into the jeep with solar panel for now, but looking at dual battery. Topic idea: Expo West since that is coming up in May.

7 WX5SKY Jon OK NOTE: This is where Excel crashed on me and I lost everything I from him. Jon, if you want to recap, just throw something in the thread referencing back to the log for this net so there is a record of it. Once again, my sincere apologies.

8 WD6TED Ted CA 1. No plans. Still use the Yeti system. Works fine for short trips to keep beer cold. With longer trips, switch to backpacking mode and use freeze dried foods. Don’t want to have a fridge due to vehicle being my DD and the dog. Its just an extra piece of equipment to get in the way. 2. Do run dual battery with a Swiss controller that regulates both batteries//electronic gauge with it and can link both or either with it. Normally run ham, cb and lighting off deep cycle battery. Question for Shane, re: sliding tray in 4R? Answer: Goes out 8-12 inches and clears the bumper. Have a Trail Edition, so it came with. I THINK one can be added to an SR5 or Limited, but would have to ditch 3rd row seats if you have them. Also pricey from what I’ve read. Miscellaneous: Can throw my hat in the ring for Net Controller, but can't do it until after Memorial Day due to school commitments. Feel free to throw me in for the summer, though.

9 K1RAC Ryan MI 1. Have one in my truck but screwed into the slide. Cord management is most critical. 2. Uses 2nd batt in the bed with a full length conduit to keep rocks, dust and other abrasives off the wires. Connected with a National Luna battery isolator.

10 KI7RAM Bill NV Comment: have looked at the sliders, most all have straps so are easy to get in and out. ,On the dual battery, running fridge for 2 years, changed to deep cycle battery AGM for all with a solar panel. No issues with drain so far. 64 qt ARB with a Trailgator bumper. The tray extends the length of the slide and clears the bumper.

11 W8ILL Will MI 1. Don't have one but know that dual battery works good for power. Generally just use ice in a chest//new ones are expensive so I stay with the cheap ones. Use dry ice too. 2. Good net tonight. Also, make sure to get an isolator if you have dual battery to make sure they stay charged. Cheap insurance.

12 KM4GHN Mitch VA 1. Not much to add. Don’t camp much anymore since I live rural. Just used cheap plug in cooler twice. Mostly been cooler with inverter. 2. Nothing to add.

13 KM6WFP Rudy CA 1. No experience with fridge. Still a cooler guy and still learning. 2. Basic rig at the moment. New truck so not much done to it. Generally do weekend camping with son. Thinking about adding another battery in case I add lights, air compressors, etc. Thanks for sharing ideas.

14 K5TIN Shane LA (Net Control) 1. Have a Costway 48 qt from Amazon. Haven’t used it yet. Only plugged it in to make sure it worked after I got it. Got tired of messing with coolers and ice. Use the factory slide out tray in my 4R with ratchet strap secured to D rings to hold it in place. Also have a small bungy strung across the inside roof next to the hatch to hold the lid open if I need to dig for anything. Tray slide out misses clearing the hatch by about an inch with the fridge open.

Summary: 14 check-ins including Net Controller. Seems to be about 50/50 on fridges vs. coolers and slightly less single vs. dual battery to run them, along with a bit of solar as backup.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

No worries Shane I didn't say anything important, however I do have the DStar Overland net info.

Overland Ham Radio Net (DStar)
2nd Tuesday of the month.
20:00 (8pm) Eastern (0100 UTC)
Reflector 56C

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Coming up on net time folks! Looking forward to everyone checking in with me tonight!

Open topic for this evening so bring your comments, questions and thoughts.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
OB Net notes 1MAR2019

Topic – Open Topic

Control – KT4OZ Terry

Check-ins:

1. N6DWA Dan Ventura Ca 1. Did not answer calls

2. W8ILL Will Michigan 1. Had good day and most of the snow melted off the road and sidewalks. Thinking about building a fan dipole 80m-40m-20m-10m. Watching videos on building of them. Build ugly balun to feed it. 2. Tech license not too hard, but got General in 1996. Thinking about learning the code and studying for his Extra class. Only 100W right now, but 200W would be better. Had a IC-761 200W radio. Good radio. Traded for IC-745 and 430.

3. N7PHY Ed Washington 15391 1. Not much to report but beautiful days in Seattle. Putting up HF antenna in yard but in HOA neighborhood. Just average life. 2. Likes following Will. OK with code in 90's and passing test. Passed 13wpm for general, but couldn't do it now. Studying for Extra class right now. Nice to meet Joe KV4UO.

4. KI7RAM Bill Reno Nv 9206 1. HAPPYOUR OVERLANDING Not much to add to antenna talk. Novice at Ham stuff. Curious about a second vehicle with a radio. Is there a additional license for that? 2. Echolink: Active on it because doesn't have home setup, only mobile.

5. KV4UO Joe Kingsport Tn 1. Not much going on. Working on things on the radio. Minimize work. Had state wide emergency, Gov declared state of emergency due to mud slides and flooding. Otherwise pretty fair. First time checking in. 2. Make shout out to KF4PRV his Elmer/Uncle. Used to do RF only work, not sure about Echolink.

6. WD6TED Ted San Diego Ca 13782 MTN RNR 1. Week tied up with family business. ED- not cool that you are getting HF setup before him HIHI. Looking forward to hearing about that. HOAs: Almost shut down wood shop in garage. Annoying to deal with them. Multiple radios: Using radio in car as X-band repeater from house to local repeater is grey area depending on radio. 2. Only time uses Echolink is for OB net. Nice to see roster. Have checked into this net on DMR and local repeater. Local repeater drops after 15 minutes and have to kerchunk to keep it active. Has anyone done any satellite work while overlanding. Is that reasonable for emcomm?

7. WX5SKY Jon OK 1. Working right now. Multiple radios in multiple vehicles: May not allow Amateur radio plates on multiple vehicles. Very busy. Too many projects. Waiting on parts for loading coil. Reply to Ted Query: Used APRS with satellite work. Can be done with radio already in vehicle. Send text messages over them or post on internet. 2. Weather has been up and down. Ice came through Monday-Tues. More ice/snow coming up and wishing new tires were in. Falken AT3W. Hopefully coming in soon.

Summary: Short net with only 7 check-ins. Slow night for everyone involved. Net closed at 2111EST.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

After the solar panel net I had a Renogy 100w panel sitting in my Amazon wish list, got a notice last night of a lightening deal and picked it up for <$90.
Will need to build a kick stand for it among the other projects I already have going, but excited to get it.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
After the solar panel net I had a Renogy 100w panel sitting in my Amazon wish list, got a notice last night of a lightening deal and picked it up for <$90.
Will need to build a kick stand for it among the other projects I already have going, but excited to get it.
Nice price.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
darn, I wish I had seen that, I'm looking for another 100W panel to hard mount up on the rack. that's a great price!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Its FINALLY Friday!

Details for tonight's OB EchoLink net are below:

Friday Night Weekly Net 3-8-2019

NET Controller will be : RU108

Time : 5:30PM PST (17:30 hrs)/8:30PM EST (2030 hrs)

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Topic this week: Overland Expo West Prep

Topic next week: "Special Guest" brought to you by our Coordinator @Brentc17

We also have some "Part 2's" from prior popular topics that we're going to start weaving into the mix over the next couple of months, so keep an eye out for your favorite past topic.

Last weeks NET notes are posted above and will be updated as a new post in this thread by the Net Controllers ASAP each week.

73!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
OB Net notes 08MAR019

Topic – Overland Expo West 2019 prep

Control – K5TIN (Shane)

Check-ins:

1. KG7ECC John WA Checked in but had no traffic. Just listening.

2. KE4IZA James MI 1. Wishing winter would end. Not much to say tonight, but hello to everyone. 2. Looking at OE the website and thinking of getting down there.

3. KM4GHN Mitch VA 1. I’m an oldie with 4x4, had one, but sold it and got into sports cars after moving to VA. Now getting back into the 4x4 scene. Not familiar with the event but soaking it up on the website.

4. N7PHY Ed WA 1. May is tough as far as schedules. Looking at the web page and looks interesting. Wondering how many net participants are going and might be good to try a check=in from the campground on that Friday evening. 2. Need to figure out how we can all connect that Friday night on EchoLink and also maybe photobomb in a thread on the forum with invites to the net. (Ed, I THINK I got the gist of that. I wasn’t able to find an app or any websites that pics could be uploaded to, so if there is one you know of or were referring to, please add a comment in the Net thread about it. I can be technologically challenged sometimes when it comes to social media stuff.)

5. KM4MCM Tony GA 1. Haven’t been to East or West. Hopefully going to try in a few more years. Enjoy the pics that are posted and looks interesting. 2. Found some vids on Youtube from a group called Landops. They do a lot of SAR stuff. Has anyone ever set up anything like this at Expo?

6 . WX5SKY Jon OK 1. Haven't been before, but it looks interesting. Not really big on crowds. 2. Will be around with mobile and HT, so please call if you need anything if you’re taking I-40 and need anything while passing through.

7. K7XPO Brien AZ 1. Going for sure. Wanted to point out, if first time going and if camping on site with the experience package, you can go directly into the camping section on Thursday at VIP entrance to get in early to bypass the crowds. I usually lead the AZ convoy up there, so if you're heading there via I-10, so keep an eye on the forum for details. 2. Love the idea of pimping the net. OB will have a booth, so will get with Corrie and Michael to see if we can get a sign or banner to advertise. As far as a repeater while there, I have a radio that we can use if I can get it set up. Also will check the area clubs to get permission to use their repeaters and EL nodes for the Friday night net. MISC: Overland Bound Southeast rally has been announced, so check it out on the forum for info.

8 . KM6ZWD Brandon CA 1. nothing heard on either round.

9. W8ILL Will MI 1. Just checking in. Was having phone trouble, so missed my call group. Nothing to add, though.

10. K5TIN Shane (control) LA 1. This will be my first time at Expo West. Haven’t been to East either. Figured I’d get the Experience package when I signed up so we could see and soak up as much as possible. Will then be spending the following 2 ½ weeks exploring/trail riding and camping around Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyonlands and Arches before coming back to reality. Prep wise, I’m likely going to be over prepared, as this will be the longest outing timewise that we’ve done, so I’m using the “rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it” approach for this one. Guess we’ll see how it goes. Really looking forward to this entire trip. Mid-May can’t get here fast enough!

Summary: Short net tonight (bit over 30 minutes). 10 check-ins including Net Controller. As stated by Tony, lots of noobs to the event with the exception of Brien, who was able to answer several general questions. Also great ideas on joining the net on 5/17 by those who are there, ways to possibly make it happen and suggestions to “pimp” the net while there. Thanks again for checking in and have a great week! 73, Shane…

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Shane. Thank you for hosting the net tonight!
My not very clear thought was to keep an eye out for you-tubers making their videos and work in a plug for OB and our Friday net if possible. Brien mentioned that OB manages a booth at the event. Makes better sense to advertise there if that works. Anyway, thanks again for hosting.