Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I would definitely consider replacing the frame which is probably your safest and more reliable way to fix the cancer. From what I can tell from the pics no matter what condition the rest of the truck is in that frame once you hit a trail with the load of it occupants, gear, fuel and the bounciness of the trail your bound to crack it and worst off even get stuck with a frame and cab bent like an A Frame. Removing the frame is definitely not the easiest job but that what will pretty much fix the problem. If the guy gets in there for fix that he's going to patch it really here and there and that's bad dude! I agree with the other members who said what about body bushing mounts those must be wickedly shot too! BONDO AND PATCH PANELS wont fix that even in the best conditions. You got to remember that is still growing inside the frame in parts you don't see so in my opinion patching that is just going to get ya to loose some coin on the deal only to be really disappointed months down the line when summer hits and the heat accelerates all that cancer like a California wild fire!Don't chance it either replace the frame or take some pics, post it on craigslist and let that be someone else's problem.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I’m not seeing any older jeeps that are cheaper. My first Jeep was a 89 and I loved that Jeep. 2nd one was a 02 wrangler. Can’t believe the price on them. I have no luck on Craigslist so I look on Facebook market place.
Its crazy how even the older jeeps retain their value! I was driving by a dealership here in Orlando a couple days ago and have been looking for a jeep beater that I can just turn into that redheaded step child that gets abused on the trails. So I drive by one locally and saw a black CJ parked on the lot wasn't in the best of shape but wasn't in the worst of shapes either. Someone had actually done a 305 conversion on it and it was pretty clean no rigged wiring or anything and when I ask the salesman about it hes like yeah 10,5K for her! Dude I nearly spit up my soda through my nose that CJ was nearly as much as my JKU!

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

The dealer is going to buy the truck back. Says he had a welder look at it and said the dealership was wrong. There was really nothing wrong with the truck. We are getting our money back. He said it would be about a week. He definitely is a shyster.

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

Have you thought about a Fly-and-Drive? Find a good truck out in the dry side of the USA, Arizona, Nevada, California or the Eastern NW. Then fly out and drive it home.
Out here we have trucks as far back as the 60's that are rust free. I drive a 90 GMC that is completely rust free. To me it would be worth doing because you can fix anything, but rust is death to any vehicle. Starting with a completely rust free truck would give you a solid base, even if you need to fix a few small issues.
You can put a new engine in a truck for a fraction of what rust repair could cost you.
I know that the cost to fly and drive will impact the budget and may require you to spend less on the truck, but you will get a rust free truck.
You may not need to go all the way to the West Coast, but the supply of rust free trucks out here is huge, so there are a lot available.
Think of it as a foundation, you would not build a house on a crumbling foundation, don't build an Overland rig on a rusty foundation.
Even the western Northwest is fairly rust free as long as the vehicle hasn't been sitting a field for years.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

The place where I bought my pickup with the bad frame finally gave us our money back. Amazingly enough he put it out on the front line and is asking 500 dollars more then what I bought it for. Hopefully the next person catches the bad frame.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The place where I bought my pickup with the bad frame finally gave us our money back. Amazingly enough he put it out on the front line and is asking 500 dollars more then what I bought it for. Hopefully the next person catches the bad frame.
You lucked out on that one. I'm sure you learned a good lesson on buying trucks. Good luck on your next one.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
A bona fide snake in the grass.

He probably messes up a lot of people's days.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

My 04 F150 has several areas of frame rot. The dealership that discovered it said it was undriveable. The place where I bought it said he has a guy who can fix the frame. I told him I would get back to him. I told him if he does the work then the truck frame will be reinspected. What is the procedure for fixing a frame? Is it worth it?
Believe the dealership. That is a write off. Don't spend a penny on it.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Thank you everyone, Going to return the truck. We’ve had nothing but trouble with it. Brought it in to have a oil change and found the frame was rotten. Any suggestions on what to get for something up to 6000. A lot of older trucks all have the same problem with frames.
Don't shop in Maine !!
Shop in Arizona, California, Nevada.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

What am I missing here ? That truck looks like it was pulled out of a lake ? I have found vehicles pulled out of a field
from 1970s in better shape ?
This truck I bought from a dealer last month turns out it has a broken frame. The dealer bought it back and is now selling it for 500 dollars more then I paid for it.BB7B61CE-21A4-4DD0-90C3-3C78343E0A17.jpeg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

^this

Drove my ‘99 Land Rover up into Ontario last week. Some of the looks it’s gotten at gas stations and parking lots while shopping have been interesting. Mostly locals amazed it doesn’t have rust holes like the local discos from the time period apparently did. Definitely worth shopping outside your home region of rust is common there.
There are lots of good older vehicles in Ontario. Three of my Jeeps were never used as a 1st or even 2nd vehicle. The owners treated them as toys and did not drive them hard at all, especially in the winter. My oldest two, an '88 Comanche and an '89 Cherokee are actually my best two. Apart from some VERY minor areas they're rust free. They're out there ... you just have to look around.

Last edited:

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

There are lots of good older vehicles in Ontario. Three of my Jeeps were never used as a 1st or even 2nd vehicle. The owners treated them as toys and did not drive them hard at all, especially in the winter. My oldest two, an '88 Comanche and an '89 Cherokee are actually my best two. Apart from some VERY minor areas they're rust free. They're out there ... you just have to look around.
Not sure of other vehicles up there as most of who I had beers with were members from our Land Rover forum. I’m sure there are good examples somewhere up there. These trucks specifically are known for rusting in very particular locations if used frequently in snow. One of those locations being the frame rusting from the inside out.