Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I know this is a subjective question dependent upon the severity of the stuck you are working with but I'm wondering what most people are carrying and their thoughts. I 'm probably sticking to easy to moderate trails in Northern California and I am not carrying a winch at this time. I do plan to install a rear bumper to mount the high lift for lifting and winches purpose someday. Have you ever wished you had four? Has two gotten you out of most of the situations you have encountered? Not a lot of sand up here but we do get mud? Thanks for your thoughts.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

really all depends I think. for example if you have front and rear lockers, you could easily get away with two. but I think for rigs with limited slip or open diffs, depending on the severity you made need 4.
again like you said its subjective and situation dictated.
I think personally I will only have 2 just for the price point as well as storage of them.

Reactions: Cottonwoody

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Understood....

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app
Sorry I forgot to mention the reason why. My LX470 is full time 4 wheel drive. If I lose traction, then all the power gets sent to that wheel. I can lock my center differential to stop that, but I would still fill more in control if I had 4 Maxtraxs. That being said, 2 is better than none.

Reactions: Cottonwoody

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

really all depends I think. for example if you have front and rear lockers, you could easily get away with two. but I think for rigs with limited slip or open diffs, depending on the severity you made need 4.
again like you said its subjective and situation dictated.
I think personally I will only have 2 just for the price point as well as storage of them.
Thanks for the share.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
*snarky comment*: do you have 2 tires or 4? Just kidding, it's all about what you can afford and balancing what you think you need...

My last stuck I needed 8! And I still needed a winch. :confused:
Get the balance of what you need/can afford now. As you find a use for them, another two will easily justify themselves.

Dan.

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

*snarky comment*: do you have 2 tires or 4? Just kidding, it's all about what you can afford and balancing what you think you need...

My last stuck I needed 8! And I still needed a winch. :confused:
Get the balance of what you need/can afford now. As you find a use for them, another two will easily justify themselves.

Dan.
I'm gonna get 8 then. [emoji1]

Reactions: VCeXpedition

John_Heibel

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Heibel
Member #

Only have 2 for now. Much like the others, 2 is what is currently affordable. From their videos, they only needed 2 to pull out the military rigs. maybe someday 4. But I have lockers and a winch, so I should be OK.

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Any thoughts on the color choice? Pros and cons?? One question that comes to mind is whether or not color makes a difference when they are buried in deep sand or mud.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I also have 4 but I need to build a mount to mount them to the rack. Currently on the spare tire, but this works. Most trips out only 2 go with but if I had to take them, both sets are available. I also have the locker, winch, straps, block, etc, so I'm not really worried. But if you think 2 pairs are expensive, what would it cost to recover your rig from the middle of nowhere, now compare prices.

UXOC crew, Im the white X.

And courtesy Dave and his wife.... amazing photo!