Peccavi18

Rank III

Advocate I

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Rogus
Fishing is what made me even find this site lol. I fish alot all year long, kayak, bass, ice, fly, trolling, saltwater, alittle bit of everything but tournaments. I caught 29 different species last year, and around 1100 fish total (alot of yellow Perch ice fishing). Anyway, I wanted to find a way to organize edc recovery and camping gear in my truck efficiently so it I could just grab whatever I needed fishing wise and head out but now I kinda want to go down the rabbit hole of a modest Overland build lol.
Back to the topic though, I'm a streamer guy I like the big meaty stuff like crayfish patterns, zonkers, minnow imitations and articulated minnows. Generally chucking them on a 6wt Moonshine rod. I fish for trout, bass, and anything with teeth any chance I get. I fish where ever I get a chance, but really like traveling and decifering new water.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Fishing is what made me even find this site lol. I fish alot all year long, kayak, bass, ice, fly, trolling, saltwater, alittle bit of everything but tournaments. I caught 29 different species last year, and around 1100 fish total (alot of yellow Perch ice fishing). Anyway, I wanted to find a way to organize edc recovery and camping gear in my truck efficiently so it I could just grab whatever I needed fishing wise and head out but now I kinda want to go down the rabbit hole of a modest Overland build lol.
Back to the topic though, I'm a streamer guy I like the big meaty stuff like crayfish patterns, zonkers, minnow imitations and articulated minnows. Generally chucking them on a 6wt Moonshine rod. I fish for trout, bass, and anything with teeth any chance I get. I fish where ever I get a chance, but really like traveling and decifering new water.
The nice thing about overlanding is you dont have to separate fishing from overlanding. It would be really neat to catch those fish in some almost impossible to get too places. Kinda like fishing on Mars. :-)

Cascadianoverlander

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Vancouver, Washington, United States
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

It took a minute, but this year is the year I realized that I combine the two things all the time. Even for the last two years with two kids under 4, we would base camp and then go explore forest roads to find water to fish and relax near. I feel like overlanding & fly fishing go together like a fine Malbec & a nice steak.
If anyone wants to poke around Oregon & Washington for some trout/steelhead/bass just let me know. Time permitting I’m always up for adventure!

Peccavi18

Rank III

Advocate I

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Rogus
The nice thing about overlanding is you dont have to separate fishing from overlanding. It would be really neat to catch those fish in some almost impossible to get too places. Kinda like fishing on Mars. :-)
You really don't, they almost go synonymously for me. I've been on alot of forgotten or backwoods roads where fallen trees or washout have made them close to impassable. That's why I have the gear I do in the truck at all points. I enjoy fishing for the peace and quiet which takes me to alot of hard to access areas.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You really don't, they almost go synonymously for me. I've been on alot of forgotten or backwoods roads where fallen trees or washout have made them close to impassable. That's why I have the gear I do in the truck at all points. I enjoy fishing for the peace and quiet which takes me to alot of hard to access areas.
Yes, between a Winch and chain saw you should be able to go where others cant. he he he

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I’ve done more over landing to fish than I’ve ever dreamed of for hunting. I have spent a lot of time sturgeon fishing, chasing steelhead and hitting trout opener when I was going to Oregon all the time. Now most of my trips are finding places to throw flies at trout. I have yet to fly fish for salmon and steelhead. Right now that’s on my bucket list. Gotta convince the wife I need a 9 wt fly rod first. Good thing is she loves fishing probably more than I do. If only I could convince her to pick up a fly rod.

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
I got back into fly fishing several years ago now after a long break. I went directly into two handed spey casting for the most part though. I live on/near the Grand River in Southern Ontario which is a Lake Erie trib. I chase steelhead starting late summer and into the winter. It's a big river so the long spey rods come in handy. 13-16' ft rods casting long belly(80') lines 150 feet all day and swinging traditional flies is my main game. In the summer I will bring out the single hand rods, 4-8wt, to chase bass, pike, walleye, mooneye and sometimes catfish and carp. I also have a property about 4hrs north of me near the Saugeen river. Also loaded with salmon and steelhead at the right times. Bass, pike etc are the usual suspects there as well. A big thing there in the summer months, or anytime really, is musky. There not real big but there is lots of them. This is the whole reason why I'm taking up the overland hobby and joining this community. I plan on exploring more of the vast Ontario north land and the thousands of fishing opportunities it provides. I also have a trip to B.C. in the works and it looks like I'll be driving if I can make it happen this summer.

Oh, I tie my own flies. In hand mostly these days.MKX1.jpg20201204_172514.jpg

If your ever in Southern Ontario look me up and maybe we can chase some fins.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
While perusing a 2nd hand website I came across a St. Croix 9' 9wt...thought it's been a while since I threw some line but what the heck!

Things just kinda snowballed from there...chest waders...boots and vest. Now I'm back in the game and looking for cold water.

Screenshot_20230503_032516.jpg

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Knee deep in a stream @ sunrise is something to behold. Spend allot more time bait fishing from a kayak but have recently been thinking its time to pick up the 4 count rhythm again.
Nailed it!
Even if i don’t get to pull my net i love standing mid stream with just the sound of wind in the trees and water rushing past me. Just moved to Idaho, know not where to go yet. Im in !

Reactions: Jhop567 and chetmak

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
Just moved to Idaho, know not where to go yet.
Andy, There is a plethora (and a whole bunch) of streams to fish around here. Between Idaho and Montana, you can fly fish from the great divide to Washington state.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Nailed it!
Even if i don’t get to pull my net i love standing mid stream with just the sound of wind in the trees and water rushing past me. Just moved to Idaho, know not where to go yet. Im in !
Grew up in B.C. and fly fishing came into my life at an early age. Couldn't even begin to count the times I've spent on coastal beaches tossing my favorite muddler pattern or salmon streamers in bad weather. But enticing a large searun cutthroat was always King. Mid 80's I decided to kayak from Vancouver to Alaska...until then I never knew how much fun salmon were on a handline with a bucktail tied to the end.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Are tenkara rods welcome in this thread is that too hipstery for you folks?

To add to my street cred, I got into tenkara rods and cuban yoyo fishing when my only mode of transportation was a motorcycle in the Army.

Never landed any steelhead but had more than my fair share of keepers on the grill next to my bike.

While the rig has changed, the rod has not, its impossible to beat the convenience of a rod that fits under the seat.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Beginner here, would a tenkara rod be good for a beginner.? If so, which length and style? Thanks

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Beginner here, would a tenkara rod be good for a beginner.? If so, which length and style? Thanks
I live in China and mostly see guys using Tenkara rods...never tried it myself but for sure it's a pretty simple set up. Personally I think it's limited in its presentation but then again I've seen some pretty big fish hauled in.

Just caught my first fish over here ;-)Screenshot_20230608-114050_Gallery.jpg

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Yes.
It’s one of those easy to learn and be successful, but tricky to master kind of learning curves.
It is just a bendy stick and a string, and I love it.

Biggest beginner error I see is not pulling the rod sections snug enough, if a joint is loose you can snap your rod.

Length would depend on what you are fishing and where.
I found that the American branded rods are lacking and severely marked up for what you get.
A decent all arounder would be somewhere in the 10-13ft range

M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Tenkara Fishing Rod and Combo 9/10/11/12/13ft/Triple Zoom 8'3''/9'6''/10'6'',10'8''/11'10''/12'9'' https://a.co/d/a7Bm6h6

I have fished this for years and gotten well over 200 fish with it, it is called a “zoom” rod which basically means the last three pole sections can stay stowed without compromising rod integrity so you can fish at 10 or 11 or 13 feet

I “stepped up” to a Daiwa but still use the Amazon one for as my rig pile because it came with a cheap protective tube

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
What do suggest is the best way to find all these streams and rivers?and legal access?
Looking at your details on the left shows you live in Idaho??? Kind of right in the center of trout and steelhead mecca. Your local DFW should be able to help you out with access rules/regs/laws but google maps can point out blue lines. The rest is up to you.
If your ever in Peck stop in on The Red Shed Fly Shop and tell Poppy I said hello.