Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Where in Colorado? I lived in Walden and the North Platte was on our ranch.
Sorry I missed your comment, I lived In Carbondale, CO. The 3 streams were the Frying Pan, the Roaring Fork and the Crystal River.

Reactions: old_man

BDunkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Dunkle
Member #

Service Branch
TEXSAR
@Murphy Slaw , you don't have to wait for retirement :wink:
Once a year, in the spring I think, Orvis does a big nationwide event where all of there stores (almost all of them anyway) host a free workshop for all skill levels. Find a buddy with a fly rod and borrow it for a day. It is some top notch instruction. Most local fly shops and guides will do something similar throughout the year and even let you borrow their rental gear. They'll have you casting in an hour or two.
They will do private lessons as well.... think I paid 50.00 for an hour.... had me casting well in half that time....

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Since I read this thread I've been thinking about fly fishing. One thing I really liked about it was no matter how much the day sucked or stuff going on in my life somewhere around the third or fourth cast it was gone. I was relaxed and all I was thinking about was the water, casting and where to fish next.

I sure miss that...

BrassMonkeyAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broad Ripple, Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
J
Member #

Anytime you want to share patterns let me know.

I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.

BrassMonkeyAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
B
Last Name
J
Member #

I've always had luck with Large mouth and hybrid bass in the Ohio Indiana area with a #10 hook Clouser minnow in peach and white or Chartruese. If the water is cloudy bopping a black and hot pink wooly bugger along the rock line will get some pan fish. Not much of a fight but a way to pass the time.

Reactions: Big G

flyfisher530

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cool, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kleames
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA6WTZ
I am a new member and also love to fly fish. I currently live near the middle fork of the American River (western Sierra foothills) and the first picture posted is about 45 minutes from my home on the middle fork. I also love to fish using a kayak set-up for either fly fishing or reel casting. Mike in Cool, Ca.

Attachments

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I am a new member and also love to fly fish. I currently live near the middle fork of the American River (western Sierra foothills) and the first picture posted is about 45 minutes from my home on the middle fork. I also love to fish using a kayak set-up for either fly fishing or reel casting. Mike in Cool, Ca.
Wow, what a beautiful place to fish.

flyfisher530

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cool, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kleames
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA6WTZ
That looks like an awesome fly for just about anywhere!! Man I wish I had the patience to tie flies. Would save $$ too.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

BrassMonkeyAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
B
Last Name
J
Member #

It does take some patience but it is also very relaxing. Its fun to be creative. Don't believe that your only going to catch fish if your flies are identical to the patterns in the book. If you ever find your self in Indiana your more then welcome to reach out and Iearn. Also if you have a fly shop in your area they love teaching tying and get others involved in tying. I see kits on line for 40-60 bucks which would get you started. My 1st couple flies I used my dogs fur and sewing thread. But you may be able to notice in the background of the pic I have moved on from that. ….to the point of addiction.

Reactions: Big G and 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
It does take some patience but it is also very relaxing. Its fun to be creative. Don't believe that your only going to catch fish if your flies are identical to the patterns in the book. If you ever find your self in Indiana your more then welcome to reach out and Iearn. Also if you have a fly shop in your area they love teaching tying and get others involved in tying. I see kits on line for 40-60 bucks which would get you started. My 1st couple flies I used my dogs fur and sewing thread. But you may be able to notice in the background of the pic I have moved on from that. ….to the point of addiction.

Yup, looks like an excellent version of the rare twisted carrot pattern. :sunglasses:

• Love
Reactions: Laurits

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I like most any kind of fishing! I was lucky enough to do some fly fishing on the White River at Cotter, Arkansas back in October. Want to get back out there! I was wondering if any of you have toyed with ultra-light bait casters for trout or the Finesse fishing for most anything? I just ordered an ultralight baitcaster and rod for trout and plan to use it for some other small stream fishing. It's supposed to handle down to 1/16 or so lures/jigs, etc. Recently, did well drifting Trout Magnets with small pink worm and indicator with slip bobber stopper. Same principle but line management is easier and easier to fish tight streams than fly rod dealing with back casts, etc. Hard to find ultralight casting rods. The Japanese are far advanced with this type trout fishing but there stuff is asspensive!

iamdrglass

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
I am just getting back into the fly fishing game. I have spent the last 15 years dunking worms with my 4 boys, they are now old enough to fly fish and have got the bug pretty bad. We just got fishing Kayaks this year so we will be exploring some different areas close to home here in S.E. Idaho as well as wade fishing different areas in our region. Pretty cool having a new set of fishing buddies. We look forward to posting trip reports through out the summer.

Anyone near S.E. Idaho? Lets trade fishing reports and possible destinations. I am allready planning weekends for July and August for Big Lost, Birch Creek areas also on the border and into Yellowstone Park areas. We are making a list of destinations with in 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive of home base in Pocatello. Well you could say that is enough to keep us busy for a life time of fishing and exploring.

Dan
AKA: KJ7LTY and son KJ7KPP

Nostrathomas

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I am just getting back into the fly fishing game. I have spent the last 15 years dunking worms with my 4 boys, they are now old enough to fly fish and have got the bug pretty bad. We just got fishing Kayaks this year so we will be exploring some different areas close to home here in S.E. Idaho as well as wade fishing different areas in our region. Pretty cool having a new set of fishing buddies. We look forward to posting trip reports through out the summer.

Anyone near S.E. Idaho? Lets trade fishing reports and possible destinations. I am allready planning weekends for July and August for Big Lost, Birch Creek areas also on the border and into Yellowstone Park areas. We are making a list of destinations with in 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive of home base in Pocatello. Well you could say that is enough to keep us busy for a life time of fishing and exploring.

Dan
AKA: KJ7LTY and son KJ7KPP
That area is on my bucket list. I've hit some of N Idaho. If you have access to PRIME video, search for Fly Highway for some good eye candy across SE Idaho. Also, have the Owyhee on my radar in S Idaho.

Reactions: kickkem