Fly Fishing

• HTML tutorial

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Thanks, never fished a carbon rod before, the rest of mine are graphite or fiberglass so it should be interesting at least. Someday I will add a bamboo rod to my arsenal as well. Found the guy that made this for me over on reddit, super happy with what he came up with in 2 weeks.

Pip

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oakdale, Ca / Cameron Montana
Member #

I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.

Pip

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Member #

Chris, I'm new to the site (new member) I know your post on fly fishing is quite old but I thought I would chide in. I have been fly fishing for about 15 years, I generally get about 30 days a year, mostly on the Madison River in Montana. I built a place out here about 6 years ago and spend a good amount of time here April-October. Home base is California and most of my fishing out there is Salmon on the Sacramento River and the local lakes. The Madison and all the other Montana rivers tend to ruin it for you as far as the fly fishing goes. My favorite bug is whatever is hatching....we go nymph hatches in the early season, stone fly's, caddis hatch, salmon fly's, hoppers, flying ants....and whatever else is hatching through the summer. I liken fly fishing to golf....every cast is different .....every days conditions are different, so every approach is different.....your always learning.

Reactions: flyingnome

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Chris, I'm new to the site (new member) I know your post on fly fishing is quite old but I thought I would chide in. I have been fly fishing for about 15 years, I generally get about 30 days a year, mostly on the Madison River in Montana. I built a place out here about 6 years ago and spend a good amount of time here April-October. Home base is California and most of my fishing out there is Salmon on the Sacramento River and the local lakes. The Madison and all the other Montana rivers tend to ruin it for you as far as the fly fishing goes. My favorite bug is whatever is hatching....we go nymph hatches in the early season, stone fly's, caddis hatch, salmon fly's, hoppers, flying ants....and whatever else is hatching through the summer. I liken fly fishing to golf....every cast is different .....every days conditions are different, so every approach is different.....your always learning.
It is an old post, I moved back to the Northeast over a year ago. haha. Welcome to OB. we all have different reasons for "overlanding" fishing is one of mine. Glad you are here.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

mostly on the Madison River in Montana. I built a place out here about 6 years ago and spend a good amount of time here April-October.
@Pip, I was just back in your area in August. I make an annual pilgrimage back to MT, WY, and ID to fly fish. I didn't hit the Madison this year, but have spent many days in the past stripping streamers with the guys from Slide Inn. This year I fished the Snake in GTNP, the Jefferson, and the South Fork through the canyon. All were excellent.

My home water is around Bear Valley, CA...Stanislaus, Mokelumne, and Carson rivers.

Pip

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Member #

@Pip, I was just back in your area in August. I make an annual pilgrimage back to MT, WY, and ID to fly fish. I didn't hit the Madison this year, but have spent many days in the past stripping streamers with the guys from Slide Inn. This year I fished the Snake in GTNP, the Jefferson, and the South Fork through the canyon. All were excellent.

My home water is around Bear Valley, CA...Stanislaus, Mokelumne, and Carson rivers.

Pip

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Member #

Bill, I just got back to Oakdale last Thursday, fishing on the Madison was real good....hoppers are still active as are the ants in some places. I was able to spend the entire month of July there and had a great month....I think I fished everyday after the 12th of July (my wife flew home on the 11th). The Madison is my home turf although we do get over to the Big Hole, Red Rock Creek and the Beaverhead. My place is at the Palisades just north of Windy Point. I generally go out every month from April till the end of October, we'll be heading back out sometime in October to button things up for the winter....too cold for me beyond that. I live on the Stanislaus in Oakdale but don't do much fishing on it, you tend to get ruined after fishing Montana and the surrounding states.
I do however enjoy the local lakes and the Sacramento River when the Salmon are running. In Montana I have both a RO hard side and a raft, mostly use the raft on the the Beaverhead and the Bighole....if the flows are down it comes in handy on the Madison from Story Ditch on down.....I can talk fishing all day so ill quit for now....take care...stay in touch when your back out to Montana Country...

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

My place is at the Palisades just north of Windy Point.
Such a beautiful spot! I can picture it now...and definitely wish I were there! I'll let you know before I head back, most likely next fall. Although, I'm contemplating a pre-runoff trip in the spring if I can time the weather correctly.

And don't discount our high-Sierra streams. A 2-wt rod with 7X tippet can make those little guys feel a lot bigger than they look. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Jube and Pip

TheBeardedSam

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norman Park, GA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OSP
Hi. I am pretty new to OB, but I love to fish. Fly fishing wasn’t popular where I grew up, but after guiding Tarpon fishing in Puerto Rico, I brought back a love for the fly. I’ve chased Reds, Tarpon, Snook, and Sea Trout as well as Large Mouths and various panfish of South Georgia. I tell a lot of my quail clients that I’ve chased a lot of species on fly except the “traditional” ones.

Seth Vernon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Vernon
Member #

Hey @Chris Jones thanks for starting a great thread for the feather chuckers. If you're ever in NC look me up. I'm a full time USCG Licensed charter captain and my specialty is fly fishing in saltwater, specifically sight fishing. Good Redfish, trout and even some lingering tarpon here on the Cape Fear Coast.

I'm new to the OB thread and a new member and looking forward to meeting new folks in this community. Heading to Overland Expo East next month, taking my daughter and doing some fly fishing for trout while there in Asheville. Fall has to be pretty where you are in the NE I hope you're enjoying some time on the river.

If anyone has any questions about gear, tackle or destinations don't hesitate to hit me with a message. I've been guiding full time fresh and salt, stateside and abroad since 1997.

View attachment 71214

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey @Chris Jones thanks for starting a great thread for the feather chuckers. If you're ever in NC look me up. I'm a full time USCG Licensed charter captain and my specialty is fly fishing in saltwater, specifically sight fishing. Good Redfish, trout and even some lingering tarpon here on the Cape Fear Coast.

I'm new to the OB thread and a new member and looking forward to meeting new folks in this community. Heading to Overland Expo East next month, taking my daughter and doing some fly fishing for trout while there in Asheville. Fall has to be pretty where you are in the NE I hope you're enjoying some time on the river.

If anyone has any questions about gear, tackle or destinations don't hesitate to hit me with a message. I've been guiding full time fresh and salt, stateside and abroad since 1997.

View attachment 71214
Oh man. super tempting. I'll be down for Expo as well. Come by the BackroadVentures Booth and say hey. I may do a stint in the OB booth too if they have one this year.

Seth Vernon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Vernon
Member #

Oh man. super tempting. I'll be down for Expo as well. Come by the BackroadVentures Booth and say hey. I may do a stint in the OB booth too if they have one this year.
I will definitely come introduce myself. I plan on attending Saturday w some friends. We will camp offsite to be able to access some trout fishing.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Summer has kept me busy chasing fish, exploring Oregon, and away from this forum, but thought I'd share this... Trout Unlimited and the Native Fish Society held a "Native Trout-a-thon" this past week to bring awareness about native trout populations, inspire anglers to explore our state, and raise money for a restoration project on the central coast. Native trout species had a point value and you could only score one fish from each species. I logged 651 miles in the 48 hour time window, scoring 70 points and won most points, biggest fish and most money raised ($3385). I tallied 1 wild Steelhead, 1 native Redband Rainbow Trout, 1 Mountain Whitefish, 1 West Slope Cutthroat and 1 Bull Trout in this effort. All fish were carefully released. All were photographed in the water. #keepemwet. Already making plans to defend my title in 2019... I've posted a full report on my website.

Roadtrip.jpg
Antelope Oregon

NativeTroutathon-270363.jpg
Wild Deschutes Summer Steelhead

NativeTroutathon-270365.jpg
Nice wild fish

NativeTroutathon-270366.jpg

Deschutes Redband Rainbow

NativeTroutathon-270368.jpg
Mountain Whitefish

NativeTroutathon-270377.jpg
West Slope Cutthroat

NativeTroutathon-280390.jpg
Metolius Bull Trout

NativeTroutathonMap.jpg

I sent my sponsors a link to my live position so they could follow me on this adventure.

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Amazing t
Summer has kept me busy chasing fish, exploring Oregon, and away from this forum, but thought I'd share this... Trout Unlimited and the Native Fish Society held a "Native Trout-a-thon" this past week to bring awareness about native trout populations, inspire anglers to explore our state, and raise money for a restoration project on the central coast. Native trout species had a point value and you could only score one fish from each species. I logged 651 miles in the 48 hour time window, scoring 70 points and won most points, biggest fish and most money raised ($3385). I tallied 1 wild Steelhead, 1 native Redband Rainbow Trout, 1 Mountain Whitefish, 1 West Slope Cutthroat and 1 Bull Trout in this effort. All fish were carefully released. All were photographed in the water. #keepemwet. Already making plans to defend my title in 2019... I've posted a full report on my website.

View attachment 74562
Antelope Oregon

View attachment 74563
Wild Deschutes Summer Steelhead

View attachment 74564
Nice wild fish

View attachment 74565

Deschutes Redband Rainbow

View attachment 74566
Mountain Whitefish

View attachment 74567
West Slope Cutthroat

View attachment 74568
Metolius Bull Trout

View attachment 74569

I sent my sponsors a link to my live position so they could follow me on this adventure.
Amazing trip report and great photos. Great work on the fund raising, sounds like a real fishing adventure. Count me as supremely jealous, hope to do something like that with my boy someday.