Fly Fishing

• HTML tutorial

F1addict

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Austin, TX
Member #

I picked up fly fishing this year. After a casting lesson at a local fly shop, I'm getting better at casting and presentation. Looking forward to cooler weather, and heading to the Guadalupe River again to test my skills.

Great thread!

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

I think I’m going to enjoy this group, I am very interested in getting into Fly. Did some in Co. , loved it. Pricey!
Keep me in mind if anyone in this area needs company ( N. Ca. Placer county)

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Last week I hosted four anglers on the John Day River with two of my friends/guides. As I was the odd man out I brought my own drift boat and tagged along on the three day drift. Being able to bring my cold weather gear and a few "extras" in my boat was handy as temps dropped into the 20s. The John Day is a native Steelhead fishery with no hatchery introduction. The fish are incredible and beautiful. Columbia basin returns are down this year, but there were enough fish to keep the guys interested. It's always good to be on the water....

JohnDay-3178.jpg JohnDay-3280.jpg JohnDay-3286.jpg JohnDay-3351.jpg JohnDay-3431.jpg

Last edited:

Jube

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NW Arkansas
Member #

Everything Chris Jones stated is spot on accurate! If I could only have one rod it would be a 6 wt.!! I was happy to find a fly fishing and kayak thread on here tonight. My home waters are the White and Norfork Rivers for trout, the Buffalo and Kings Rivers for Smallmouth bass all in NW Arkansas. I've fished from here to Alaska and back and find myself out in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado every fall chasing trout but there's more fish and bigger right here!! Any of you get in this country with a fly rod looking for fish... I can hook you up. Be safe.

Reactions: Wilkes704

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Last week I hosted four anglers on the John Day River with two of my friends/guides. As I was the odd man out I brought my own drift boat and tagged along on the three day drift. Being able to bring my cold weather gear and a few "extras" in my boat was handy as temps dropped into the 20s. The John Day is a native Steelhead fishery with no hatchery introduction. The fish are incredible and beautiful. Columbia basin returns are down this year, but there were enough fish to keep the guys interested. It's always good to be on the water....

View attachment 39738 View attachment 39739 View attachment 39740 View attachment 39741 View attachment 39742
Those are beautiful!!

Reactions: NWNavigator

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Six years ago after a very busy start to our new business, my wife and I spent Christmas on the Metolius River in Central Oregon. I took along a camera and my laptop, creating this video of our holiday. Every year since we have shared it in our weekly newsletter as our Christmas card. I thought I'd share it here with you fly fishing fans on Overland Bound. It was my first attempt at video production, so be kind.

May you all receive a River for Christmas. Cheers!

Merry Christmas to all!

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

View attachment 39738 View attachment 39739 View attachment 39740 View attachment 39741 View attachment 39742
You do some beautiful photography.

Reactions: NWNavigator

steelheadbum

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Tak
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6PAZ
I'm northern CA and primarily fish the Trinity, Eel, Yuba, Feather, and Truckee. I'm a spey dude and love steelhead fishing, but I also love to fish all year round and will dabble in dry fly and nymph fishing as well. If anyone is interested in winter steelhead on the Eel, I've been wanting to camp out somewhere and would love to have someone

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Me and a couple of my Mates are just getting into fly fishing. I live in Rocklin, so the Eel would be quite a trek.
If you find yourself planning to hit the Yuba or Truckee , send a text or e mail to me and I’ll see if I can join you ,
If you don’t mind a newbie, or two. Not sure how to directly contact people thru this forum but we can figure it out.

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

So I have been wanting to get into fly fishing for a long time and received my first fly rod for my birthday this year! However, I have no idea what I am doing. I have watched youtube and have kinda figured out the basics of casting and what not. I grew up fishing off boats so fishing in a river will be very different than what I am used to. That being said, I was hoping I could get some info from you more experienced anglers. What part of a river is best for fishing, is there a certain type of flow in a river that fish favor? I most likely will be fishing for trout. Are there any tips/tricks I should know?
I learned to cast a fly rod 50 years ago, when I was but 14. I have spent the next 50 years learning to catch fish. Meaning the two are separate efforts. I spent years tying my own fly's but seldom do now since I can buy them on e-bay for 5 bucks a dozen from some broke guy in Pakistan. I have no count of the hundreds of people I have taught to cast, usually in an hour or so. Casting a fly rod is all about the timing and if you turn sideways so you can observe the back cast as well as the fore cast will help immensely. Keep in mind you are casting the line, not the lure, and so the the back cast lets you load the rod which makes the forward cast possible. A casting class is invaluable, and many shops will accommodate you. As for fishing, I recommend a beginner to use a woolly or a woolly booger which you can cast up stream and drift around below you. You seldom have to set the hook and they are good producing bugs.

Good luck!
Remember it is the process, not the fish that counts.

Daniel

Reactions: Andy G

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Just getting back into the game. Started fly tying a few weeks ago with my 15 year old son, and bought him a nice Orvis combo setup.
For me, I just bought a Cabela’s Prestige Plus reel, and a Temple Fork Outfitters Pro II 5wt 9’ rod. Can’t wait to catch some Michigan trout on that bad boy!

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

New here to Overland Bound, but not to fly fishing. I've been at that game for over half a century and now make my living helping folks learn more about the sport. Equipment is just stuff and is easily found, but knowledge comes with time, practice and the occasional help from someone with the experience you are working towards. Kind of like most things in life. What I love most about the sport is not the fish or the fishing, but the places fish are found. Water has always been a healing place for me when life gets out of hand. I find myself getting into Overlanding to find more of those beautiful places and perhaps a little peace.

Occasionally my guys in the shop and I head off to camp and fish with a few friends. If anyone here in the NW is interested in joining one of our non-guided get togethers let me know. Right now we're planning a Black Friday fish-in on the Deschutes River. I normally bring a hot lunch for all and folks add what they want. Kind of like Stone Soup. It was a bit chilly last year, but everyone had fun. We caught a few Steelhead and some nice Trout too!

I also work with two groups here in Oregon, Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery. Both use fly fishing as a means of healing. PHW gets our Vets on the water and CFR hosts breast cancer fighters. I'll be blasting down to southern Oregon tomorrow for the CFR retreat to help with their on-the-water session. It's great fun and very rewarding.

So on that note, I offer whatever help I can to all of you fly fishers and want-to-be fly fishers. I would just say, it's not about the fish. It's about having fun and enjoying the great outdoors. Travel Safe.

View attachment 7718

Blitzen River near Frenchglen, OR (we caught and released some nice fish!)
Hooooraay!!!!!!!!!!

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

Hey! My name is Scott, I was born and raised in Reno, Nevada. Fly fishing is my mistress, I fish as much as my wife allows. If anyone is planning on heading to the Reno area or more specifically, Pyramid Lake, hit me up and we can fish! My overlanding is almost always built around at least one good fishing spot.
View attachment 13694
Nice fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Andy G

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

I learned to cast a fly rod 50 years ago, when I was but 14. I have spent the next 50 years learning to catch fish. Meaning the two are separate efforts. I spent years tying my own fly's but seldom do now since I can buy them on e-bay for 5 bucks a dozen from some broke guy in Pakistan. I have no count of the hundreds of people I have taught to cast, usually in an hour or so. Casting a fly rod is all about the timing and if you turn sideways so you can observe the back cast as well as the fore cast will help immensely. Keep in mind you are casting the line, not the lure, and so the the back cast lets you load the rod which makes the forward cast possible. A casting class is invaluable, and many shops will accommodate you. As for fishing, I recommend a beginner to use a woolly or a woolly booger which you can cast up stream and drift around below you. You seldom have to set the hook and they are good producing bugs.

Good luck!
Remember it is the process, not the fish that counts.

Daniel
I love that concept. I have taught many people to fly fish by standing sideways, and throwing 20 ft. of line to their left then their right to get the feel and see a cast and back cast.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

OK all you Nevada fly fishers... I'm busting out of the shop on March 11th and heading to Pyramid Lake to fish the 12-14th. Need some boots on the ground intel for areas to check out and places to make camp. Any other details would be awesome. This has been on the list for some time and I'm looking forward to checking the box on this one... @NV.Recon

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
OK all you Nevada fly fishers... I'm busting out of the shop on March 11th and heading to Pyramid Lake to fish the 12-14th. Need some boots on the ground intel for areas to check out and places to make camp. Any other details would be awesome. This has been on the list for some time and I'm looking forward to checking the box on this one... @NV.Recon
I was there in October & they still had the north end closed off due to damaged roads from last years rains & that's been a prime area for catching big fish on a fly the last couple of years. If I'm not mistaken, you can camp anywhere you have access to the lake. Not sure if you're up for hiring a guide, but I've done very well with using Rob Anderson from www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.com. He's a great guy & one of the best guides on the lake. He's put me on a 16 lb & a 14.5 lb Lahonton Cutthroat. I'm hoping to get into the 20 lb club in 2018...... Good Luck14.5 lb Pyramid Lake Cutthroat.jpg