Fly Fishing

• HTML tutorial

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

@Mima -- thosea are some great shots! Beautiful fish and setting. @Trailpatrol -- Some buddies and I take one, or more, trips to fish the driftless. Usually end up in Iowa where but have done the Wisconsin streams a couple of times. Seems like I may need to ply you for updated stream info on the WI side.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I learned to fly fish at an early age. I grew up 14 miles south west of Walden, Colorado on our ranch. The Little Grizzly and Big Grizzly creeks came together on our land and formed the North Platte River. No one other than people who had lived on the land since it was homesteaded had ever fished it.

I guess it spoiled me and I haven't fly fished much since leaving in 1966. We never kept anything less than 18 inches. I caught several German Browns more than 35" long. After working all day on the ranch, I would head 100 yards down to the creek. We due to the remoteness, we didn't have TV. Radio was crap except after dark. I grew up hunting and fishing. We used to swim in the creek all the time. You could look over 5 or 6 miles to the mountains where the snow was melting and feeding the creek. If you were lucky, the water was above 40F. My cousins from Texas would come up in the summer and they thought we were crazy.

I actually still have fishing rights on the old place but can't ever seem to find enough time to break free and go back. Lots of good fishing memories, too many bad family memories.

Mima

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, Colorado, United States
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Shenkman
Member #

I learned to fly fish at an early age. I grew up 14 miles south west of Walden, Colorado on our ranch. The Little Grizzly and Big Grizzly creeks came together on our land and formed the North Platte River. No one other than people who had lived on the land since it was homesteaded had ever fished it.

I guess it spoiled me and I haven't fly fished much since leaving in 1966. We never kept anything less than 18 inches. I caught several German Browns more than 35" long. After working all day on the ranch, I would head 100 yards down to the creek. We due to the remoteness, we didn't have TV. Radio was crap except after dark. I grew up hunting and fishing. We used to swim in the creek all the time. You could look over 5 or 6 miles to the mountains where the snow was melting and feeding the creek. If you were lucky, the water was above 40F. My cousins from Texas would come up in the summer and they thought we were crazy.

I actually still have fishing rights on the old place but can't ever seem to find enough time to break free and go back. Lots of good fishing memories, too many bad family memories.
Do you still live in CO?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

You have to be kidding me. I went to high school in Hayden CO, and we got snowed in one night after a basketball game in Walden. When I used to come out of Ft. Collins back to Hayden when the roads were bad, I always turned up through Wyoming and came down through Walden to go over Rabbit Ears. That area still has some grayling that are absolutely a ball to catch.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
You went with a quarter mile of our ranch. When you head out of Walden towards Steamboat, you go about 12 miles on a south west heading before cresting a very large ridge and then head due south. All of that ridge to the west was our BLM land and all the bottom land to the east for several miles. We ran 1000 head of cattle and had a very large haying operation.

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

You went with a quarter mile of our ranch. When you head out of Walden towards Steamboat, you go about 12 miles on a south west heading before cresting a very large ridge and then head due south. All of that ridge to the west was our BLM land and all the bottom land to the east for several miles. We ran 1000 head of cattle and had a very large haying operation.
Outstanding. Loved the area, but only place in the lower 48 I knew had worse weather than Hayden was Walden. 40 years ago, I used to hunt coyotes in that area. I need to take a run back up there this coming spring.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
The first winter there, it hit -62F. We had over 200 inches of snow. It was quite a shock, having grown up in the desert of Texas.

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

The first winter there, it hit -62F. We had over 200 inches of snow. It was quite a shock, having grown up in the desert of Texas.
Winter of 74/75 it never got above -50 through January. I remember stopping my car to shoot at a coyote in North Park one year and got back in the car, put it in drive, and it never moved. I could get out and watch the rears spinning but not gaining traction on the ice.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Fly fishing oh yeah, getting ready to do some fly fishing now that it is cooling off here in CA. I live in a town that ran out of water that they had to truck it in for half the residents. The only wild life that we see now if lucky is a squirrel. I have to travel to fish but its worth it. learning to tie flies this year.