Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@Murphy Slaw , you don't have to wait for retirement :wink:
Once a year, in the spring I think, Orvis does a big nationwide event where all of there stores (almost all of them anyway) host a free workshop for all skill levels. Find a buddy with a fly rod and borrow it for a day. It is some top notch instruction. Most local fly shops and guides will do something similar throughout the year and even let you borrow their rental gear. They'll have you casting in an hour or two.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Im only kind of a fly fisherman. I have a tenkara rod but i just got it this summer. It was a terrible year to pick up fly fishing here in the west, lots of my local rivers and streams were closed to fishing because of drought conditions.
So I fished mostly lakes, not ideal for the tenkara method and its limited reach.
Tenkara flies a a little different, all reverse hackle and only a few patterns so I don't really have a favorite.
I fish for whatever I can, I'm not picky, I like to eat what I catch, I grew up keeping fish and I think over all it leads to less fish death than catch and release.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@roamingtimber, Southern Culture on the Fly just had a short editorial on your situation. And I have to say, I agree with it. You sir, are a fly fisherman. If people can tie on a bobber, sorry but a strike indicator is a bobber, and still call themselves fly fisherman than Tenkara is indeed fly fishing. Besides, those of us with reels would be lying if we said we never caught a good one high sticking. Which is exactly what Tenkara is, with different flies.
Check out the article, its short, funny and so true.
Link to Article

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hopefully we can get more fly fishing as part of an overlanding necessity on these forums. Maybe under an approved section????

Born and raised in Sacramento, California, so I trek the sierras. I always keep my western, in the truck, but I have two Tenkara rods with me when I am not in the truck. Trout are my species of choice and I am pretty big on recycling them (catch and release). I keep many flies with me so my favorite is the one that works every cast and doesn't fall apart.

It is not difficult so everyone needs to try!

Reactions: Big G

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I would love to see a Fly Fishing section here, as it pertains to a lot of overlanders. We could post up fly recipes, grip-n-grins, and lots of educational info for those who want to try it but feel intimidated.

@administrator I'm not saying this site is ready for it now, but it would be cool to have some sections like fly fishing, hiking, kayaking and the sort. Typical things that a lot of us started overlanding to facilitate or that we just like doing in the down time while camped.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I would love to see a Fly Fishing section here, as it pertains to a lot of overlanders. We could post up fly recipes, grip-n-grins, and lots of educational info for those who want to try it but feel intimidated.

@administrator I'm not saying this site is ready for it now, but it would be cool to have some sections like fly fishing, hiking, kayaking and the sort. Typical things that a lot of us started overlanding to facilitate or that we just like doing in the down time while camped.
I like it. I spent my childhood tieing my own flies! Maybe a section for "overland hobbies 0r sports"

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I've got a friend that uses they hair he brushes out of his Golden Retriever. I keep sections of whatever animals or birds I hunt to use in my flies. I like to use as much as I can.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I might need to look into the Tenkara setup. Want to try out some fly fishing and this might be a good way to try it out.
I started last summer, it's pretty easy to learn and get started, you don't need a lot of gear, works best on smaller streams. They weigh nothing, it's really easy to toss one in your pack and forget about it.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
is it really as hard as it looks lol its something i would love to have a crack at one day

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

It's not hard just frustrating at times. It takes practice and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 64Trvlr

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

If I want to outfit the cheap Scientific Angler rod and reel I have what would you suggest? It's a 9' #6 wt. I also don't have any flies.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

What are you fishing for? That will tell me the size of the flies you will use which will help me decide on what line taper you need.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm guessing by the weight of the rod it'll be mainly for panfish, maybe occasionally trout.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Actually, I wouldn't go bigger than a 6 weight for trout, depending on the trout. I regularly pull in very large fish on my 6 weight. Makes a great medium fish rod. For bass and trout you want a weight forward taper floating line. 6 weight line of course. But if the rod proves to be too stiff to feel the transitions, then you could go up to 7 weight line to help you learn cause it will exaggerate the feel of the rod loading.