Florida Panhandle Overlanding (Eglin,BlackWater, Yellow River)

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

Some photos from the day on the Range Sunday. Tried to get to a couple of ponds in the East River Unit but ran in to a washout that looks like it's been there for a while, culverts were broke and rusty with water flowing over and thru them!

View attachment 99262View attachment 99263View attachment 99264
That’s a great spot. Some great trails to go down around there. Keep knocking out those coordinates.

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while folks. My rig has been down and life has been crazy with work.

I’d love to do a meetup still.

Alexd7290

Rank 0

Contributor II

Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Alexander
Last Name
Dominguez
Hey guys, fellow overlander from Pensacola a little meet and barbecue is happening on the 28th of this month at Anderson pond near Eglin Afb if you would like to come please check out the rally point that was made by TxRanger3006 and that I have linked below if you are going please click like and respond with attending. We are trying to finalize how much food that we will need so if we can get a more solid number soon that will help. A few of us may go hit the trails in the Eglin Range during or after the meet if you would like to hit them with us you will need to purchase a pass from the Jackson Guard for the Eglin Ranges the link for that pass is in the Rally Point. Hope to see you guys there!

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

Hello friends! I am sorry that I have been out of pocket for so long about this. I have been crazy with work and some big overlanding projects. That being said. I have completed a “trans eglin” route that is ready to be shared with many of you. Due to the crazies that break rules and act like fools I choose to not openly share most of my routes and trails. Instead you may request access to the route and honestly I’m going to creep you a bit to make sure you aren’t some idiot with a mud truck out ruining trails [emoji6][emoji23] ‍♂. Anyways. This route hits up ALL of the coordinates I shared recently and a few other that I kept secret. If you are interested in the trans Eglin route I will share the Gaia folder with you after we chat [emoji106] cheers and tread lightly fam [emoji123]

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

Also: reminder to check the Eglin public access maps before you head out for area closures and be sure to get your Eglin reservation pass from Isportsman [emoji106]

Reactions: Brutus

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

Hey guys, fellow overlander from Pensacola a little meet and barbecue is happening on the 28th of this month at Anderson pond near Eglin Afb if you would like to come please check out the rally point that was made by TxRanger3006 and that I have linked below if you are going please click like and respond with attending. We are trying to finalize how much food that we will need so if we can get a more solid number soon that will help. A few of us may go hit the trails in the Eglin Range during or after the meet if you would like to hit them with us you will need to purchase a pass from the Jackson Guard for the Eglin Ranges the link for that pass is in the Rally Point. Hope to see you guys there!

Hey! If y'all don't yet have a route planned I can send you what I just finished. Let me know

Rick 17Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
McCraw
Member #

DocJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pensacola, FL, USA
Member #

With the weather getting cooler, was trying to see if anyone would be interested in planning out a weekend trip to do some exploring and camping? I haven’t been out to any of the areas locally since I got to the panhandle so I’m itching for a trip.

Sbrooksshell

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pensacola FL
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shell
Hello friends! I am sorry that I have been out of pocket for so long about this. I have been crazy with work and some big overlanding projects. That being said. I have completed a “trans eglin” route that is ready to be shared with many of you. Due to the crazies that break rules and act like fools I choose to not openly share most of my routes and trails. Instead you may request access to the route and honestly I’m going to creep you a bit to make sure you aren’t some idiot with a mud truck out ruining trails [emoji6][emoji23] ‍♂. Anyways. This route hits up ALL of the coordinates I shared recently and a few other that I kept secret. If you are interested in the trans Eglin route I will share the Gaia folder with you after we chat [emoji106] cheers and tread lightly fam [emoji123]
I’d LOVE to see that map! I’m brand new to OB so you won’t be able to find much of a history on me, but you can look at my IG account (sbrooksshell) to get a comfort level that I’m not “an idiot with a mud truck” [emoji851]. I’m also just beginning to figure out Gaia and have a few good spots in Blackwater that I’d love to share. Thanks for the great thread!

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

I’d LOVE to see that map! I’m brand new to OB so you won’t be able to find much of a history on me, but you can look at my IG account (sbrooksshell) to get a comfort level that I’m not “an idiot with a mud truck” [emoji851]. I’m also just beginning to figure out Gaia and have a few good spots in Blackwater that I’d love to share. Thanks for the great thread!

Sending you a DM on instagram

rrjones2u

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

US
I would like to to check those out too my ig is @fj_green_monster, I prefer rock crawling or just technical runs, not much in to mud.

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

The post has been made have a few hours left of editing to the route to be done on the maps. But it’s time to share the journey.

Here is the link: Trans Florida Panhandle Route

Or just scroll up a few posts and look for a post titled “Trans Florida Panhandle Route”

Reactions: Viking1204

Spooky08

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, Florida, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hendrickson
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I am going to run some routes with a couple buddies from work later this morning. I haven’t done any of these before. Apparently it starts around Munson just North of Blackwater and then head back South toward some clay and sand pits. If they’re any good I’ll report back and throw up pictures up. Hope all you guys are finding some time to get with everything else that’s going on.

Reactions: Sbrooksshell

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Just came across this post. I lived on Pensacola Beach and in the city of Pensacola for years and never knew about the trails out at Eglin. That looks awesome though!

I used to spend a couple weekends a month camping and exploring the trails in the Blackwater River State Forest to the east of Berrydale. If you haven't been up that way, you should definitely check out that area too. There are a few really nice spots with white sand beaches to camp on along Coldwater Creek.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
According to the Jackson Guard website it is still open, just no camping unless you already had a camping permit since the office to purchase camping passes is closed.

Reactions: Spooky08 and DanW