Galveston, IN
Member #

Part VII
Slickrock

N38°35'15.80"
W109°33'32.50"
Moab, UT

September 24th

Laundry done, we check out of our room at the Riverside Inn. Poison spider Mesa is the trail for the day then a small nook of a campsite for the night near Gemini Bridges.

Packed back up into the Jeep we head to Wendy's for some quick food and then the gas station for a top of before heading out of town to scenic byway 279.
Couple miles out of town and we are driving along the Colorado River, passing a dozen or more rock climbers climbing right off the highway. Jealous I didn't bring the gear to lead climb I try to ignore them, that didn't work. Definitely a place I'm going to have to make another trip out to just for climbing. Add it to the list of climbing places we seem to be running into on this trip.

Get to the Poison Spider Mesa (PSM) trail head and double check tire pressures, locker actuation, and make sure the sway bar is staying where it is suppose to. Guy saw us prepping for the trail and came over, asked if I knew how the trail was. Having never been on it before I showed him some pictures I had downloaded before we lost signal along with the trail rating I pulled off the website. From everything I read the first section isn't that difficult, just some small rock ledges. Asked the guy what he was driving and he points over to an older Subaru wagon on street tires, turns out he was wants to get up to a bike trail not 2 miles into the trail. Asked him if he had a spare tire, patch kit, or air pump. No to all three. I don't think he ended up driving up that trail.

In the Jeep we head up the trail, very mild start, 2wd mild. Rock turns to a soft sand until you make it to the first named obstacle of the trail. The "Waterfall" comes out of the sand up a steep rock ledge, followed up quickly by a fairly tight uphill left hander. From there you pick your line up some alternating bumps that are sure to flex your setup. This then turns right into multiple steep ledges to finish out the Waterfall Obstacle, the first being the hardest cut ledge at around 4 feet high. These continue at around 2 feet each ledge, coming to a final gain of 10+ feet over 4 or 5 ledges. Very fun obstacle to do and a good start to see if you want to continue on with this 6 rated trail.

After the waterfall you made your way up easy climbs until you see the trail take a tight cutback up another steep ledge. Luckily this hairpin is in a wide open bowl that gives you space to line up for the ledge if you need it. I take advantage of the space and do just that. Back in 4low after the adjustments I edge the tires up the ledge. Throttle up a bit and my view turns from red to sky blue as that ground disappears. Front tires up, the rears come up the ledge next while dragging the bottom of the rear bumper and exhaust. After the ledge the climb continues up about 45 degrees, flexing the axles left and right as you turn right for another ledge. Jeep pops up this ledge with little fight. This is the last mentionable ledge for a bit as the trail goes back and forth from rock to sand.

Next major obstacle you come upon is an optional V Notch, I feel like I remember this being named but I cant find a sign in my pictures or info online. This was my first V notch and I did not approach it correctly at all. made the same mistake coming back down it, which I'll talk about later. I for some reason get nervous, for the lack of a better word, on these and cant get myself to keep the tire out of the bottom of the notch. Didn't cause any catastrophic issues but makes the obstacle more difficult than necessary. Jeep makes it out unscathed none the less.

After the notch the trail is somewhat smooth sailing. Switched seats with Jordan and she did some of her first offroading. Mixed feelings about it as I probably had her on a bit of a difficult area for a timid first timer, ledge that the bottom half of the front bumper drug up before getting to the tires. Couple miles and we come up to the pull off that a lot of people take a lunch break, you can walk right up to the rim of a canyon giving you a view of so-called "Little Arch". We stop here for a break and to check out the view, getting as close to the edge as I was comfortable with. Incredible. Great family photo spot

From here we head back onto the trail and this is where I started getting a little lost. There is a few trails that branch off of the Poison Spider main track here and I think we ended up getting on one of these, and back off, and back on, Up and down lots of fairly steep slickrock climbs. We kept driving around until I hooked back up with the bold black marks left by years of aired down tires. Back on the PSM we finish the loop section of the trail and are now backtracking the section we came in on.

Back down the V notch, which I messed up again. Hope to come back out sometime again and not screw that one up.

Continue to make our way down the steep climbs we completed a few hours ago, including the Waterfall. This was just as challenging and fun coming down as it was coming up. So much so I turned around and did it again

We were both starting to get hungry so after having my fun we headed out of the canyon and down the ridge to the trailhead. This was the last trail I was planning on doing so I took the time to air the tires up, reconnect the sway bar. Back on the highway, we make it back into town around 5:00pm. Hoped to get the Jeep into a shop to get a tire rotation but I just missed the last slot they had for the day. So I set up and appointment for the next day and we headed north back out of town. Shooting for a remote campsite near Gemini Bridges.

Sun coming down as we are slow moving on dirt trails about 30-40 minutes out of Moab. The sky turns red and purple as the sun hits the horizon. Utah is amazing, seriously considering a move out here someday. We make it to a small camp, hidden away from wondering eyes and perfect for the night. We set up camp, Jordan starts some mac n cheese, I throw on some smoked sausage. Done in a few minutes we watch the rest of the sun go out of sight next to a fire, Domo fetching one of his toys til he was finally to tired. He plopped down next to the RTT ladder signaling it was time for bed. No rain, no clouds, no bugs so I took the rainfly off the tent and opened up the sky windows. Cool crisp night and our first under the stars in Utah. Who needs a hotel.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:

Mr_miyagisan

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Galveston, IN
Member #

September 25th

Suns up and coffee hot, we relax for a few hours, no plans besides a tire rotation. Jordan reading, Domo chasing around lizards, figured why not try to get a little bouldering in. Haven't gotten to climb for about a month now and with this sweet rock right in our campsite, now it a perfect time. Digging my dust covered shoes and chalk bag out of the back of the Jeep, I gear up and start eyeing a problem together. Dusting off holds here and there, marking out the line I start with a hang and throw my left arm up to the first move. Hand lands and grips, causing a red cloud of dust to pepper me in the face. This will be interesting. Dust off some more, again, little bit more. About 30 mins later I'm finally able to send my own problem, at the same time deciding I cant be taking long breaks in climbing like this anymore.
Run through the problem a few more time to make sure I'm good and worn out, cut hands, panting, odd looks from Jordan while I kick my own ***. Good enough.

N38° 35' 12.38"
W109° 41' 54.01"
Strugglebus (V3)

Rinsing off the sweat, we start packing up for our tire rotation back in Moab.

45 Minutes later we pull into Grand Tire Pros. Nice people that have no issues rotating/ balancing tires on a vehicle with spacers, unlike all of my local shops back home. They say give them and hour or so and itll be ready, hand over the keys and pack a small bag full of bowls and food for Domo. Perfect day out to be walking around town, we made our way to the deck of the Peace Tree Juice Café. Nice shaded place right on the main drag, dog friendly, and excellent food. Starving, we order half a Nacho app to split. Also end up with a quinoa salad for Jordan and I order a "Doug's Burger", pepper jack cheese, tomato, avocado, bacon, red onion and jalapenos on a 1/2 angus burger. NO MY GOD that thing was good, another good restaurant choice if anyone is look for suggestions for there next trip to Moab.

Taking our time we finish up and head back to the tire shop. Domo sniffing everything we pass and enjoying the attention from every time we pass someone who locked eyes with him.
Come within eyesight of the Jeep, I do a walk around as usual when someone else works on my cars. Lugs nice and tight. I head into the lobby to grab the keys and pay, $25 later we are out the door and back on the road heading back out to your camp spot to finish of our relaxing day.

Back on the Gemini Bridges road, we pull off and actually explore the GB area. Massive boulders and small arches we climb down and around into a small cavern, carefully passing Domo back and forth over 50+ feet deep cracks in the rock .

We make our way out into the open, a view of a canyon to the left that if you follow ends to the right with a view of the Gemini Bridges. Jordan and Domo opt to stay back while make my way onto a narrow walkway that juts out into the canyon 50yds or so. Further out I get the less rock I have to my left and right, adrenaline pumping I get down to a crawl and look over the edge, incredible. Snap some photos and head back to my rightfully worried family.

Safely, we make the scramble up to where we parked the Cherokee. Back to our hideout we set up take with plenty of time to relax and watch the sun set, recounting out days adventures over some soup and later coffee next to a warm fire.

September 26th

Another slow rise for us, only plan is Arches and nothing else. We pack up around 1pm and make our way to the main road. We soon find ourselves waiting in line for the entrance of the National Park. Through the gate we get some maps and fill up the water jugs at the info center, ready to check things out, we are hit with the brick of reality. Arches is just like Yellowstone, over crowded. After spending basically the last 2 1/2 weeks jumping from National Forest to National Forest after leaving the Yellowstone/Teton area we have gotten use to having no one near us when out "adventuring" in these areas. But just like Yellowstone, the people and more importantly the resurgence of the TYPE of people that are now visiting the mainstream parks completely turn me off to these places. So once again we kind of just skipped over another NP.

Now almost time for dinner, phones come out to search for a place to eat. A cool night out opens up more options, we can be "Bad" parents and leave Domo in the Jeep while we eat inside for a change. We end up at Arches Thai, having not eaten Asian food since Wyoming we knew this would hit the spot. Full and paid we had back out to a sleeping Domo, back to the hideout we go.

Jordan sets up the tent while I build a fire. Sitting with coffee and staring at the embers, we decide tomorrow we will leave Moab. Come morning we will be heading further west for the last week of the trip.

To be continued...

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
September 25th

Suns up and coffee hot, we relax for a few hours, no plans besides a tire rotation. Jordan reading, Domo chasing around lizards, figured why not try to get a little bouldering in. Haven't gotten to climb for about a month now and with this sweet rock right in our campsite, now it a perfect time. Digging my dust covered shoes and chalk bag out of the back of the Jeep, I gear up and start eyeing a problem together. Dusting off holds here and there, marking out the line I start with a hang and throw my left arm up to the first move. Hand lands and grips, causing a red cloud of dust to pepper me in the face. This will be interesting. Dust off some more, again, little bit more. About 30 mins later I'm finally able to send my own problem, at the same time deciding I cant be taking long breaks in climbing like this anymore.
Run through the problem a few more time to make sure I'm good and worn out, cut hands, panting, odd looks from Jordan while I kick my own ***. Good enough.

N38° 35' 12.38"
W109° 41' 54.01"
Strugglebus (V3)

45 Minutes later we pull into Grand Tire Pros. Nice people that have no issues rotating/ balancing tires on a vehicle with spacers, unlike all of my local shops back home. They say give them and hour or so and itll be ready, hand over the keys and pack a small bag full of bowls and food for Domo. Perfect day out to be walking around town, we made our way to the deck of the Peace Tree Juice Café. Nice shaded place right on the main drag, dog friendly, and excellent food. Starving, we order half a Nacho app to split. Also end up with a quinoa salad for Jordan and I order a "Doug's Burger", pepper jack cheese, tomato, avocado, bacon, red onion and jalapenos on a 1/2 angus burger. NO MY GOD that thing was good, another good restaurant choice if anyone is look for suggestions for there next trip to Moab.

Taking our time we finish up and head back to the tire shop. Domo sniffing everything we pass and enjoying the attention from every time we pass someone who locked eyes with him.
Come within eyesight of the Jeep, I do a walk around as usual when someone else works on my cars. Lugs nice and tight. I head into the lobby to grab the keys and pay, $25 later we are out the door and back on the road heading back out to your camp spot to finish of our relaxing day.

Back on the Gemini Bridges road, we pull off and actually explore the GB area. Massive boulders and small arches we climb down and around into a small cavern, carefully passing Domo back and forth over 50+ feet deep cracks in the rock .

We make our way out into the open, a view of a canyon to the left that if you follow ends to the right with a view of the Gemini Bridges. Jordan and Domo opt to stay back while make my way onto a narrow walkway that juts out into the canyon 50yds or so. Further out I get the less rock I have to my left and right, adrenaline pumping I get down to a crawl and look over the edge, incredible. Snap some photos and head back to my rightfully worried family.

Safely, we make the scramble up to where we parked the Cherokee. Back to our hideout we set up take with plenty of time to relax and watch the sun set, recounting out days adventures over some soup and later coffee next to a warm fire.

September 26th

Another slow rise for us, only plan is Arches and nothing else. We pack up around 1pm and make our way to the main road. We soon find ourselves waiting in line for the entrance of the National Park. Through the gate we get some maps and fill up the water jugs at the info center, ready to check things out, we are hit with the brick of reality. Arches is just like Yellowstone, over crowded. After spending basically the last 2 1/2 weeks jumping from National Forest to National Forest after leaving the Yellowstone/Teton area we have gotten use to having no one near us when out "adventuring" in these areas. But just like Yellowstone, the people and more importantly the resurgence of the TYPE of people that are now visiting the mainstream parks completely turn me off to these places. So once again we kind of just skipped over another NP.

Now almost time for dinner, phones come out to search for a place to eat. A cool night out opens up more options, we can be "Bad" parents and leave Domo in the Jeep while we eat inside for a change. We end up at Arches Thai, having not eaten Asian food since Wyoming we knew this would hit the spot. Full and paid we had back out to a sleeping Domo, back to the hideout we go.

Jordan sets up the tent while I build a fire. Sitting with coffee and staring at the embers, we decide tomorrow we will leave Moab. Come morning we will be heading further west for the last week of the trip.

To be continued...
:openmouth: Wow! Simply an amazing continuing adventure. I'll be watching for more.

Last edited:

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Looks like a great trip. One of these days I'll make it back down to Moab with the family. Every time we ask our oldest daughter where she wants to go she just yells "to the mountains!" She very much enjoyed our last trip to the yellowstone area and many trips to the Black Hills in South Dakota. Keep up the good work!

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

September 25th

N38° 35' 12.38"
W109° 41' 54.01"
Strugglebus (V3)

September 26th

To be continued...
Great story, keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mr_miyagisan

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Galveston, IN
Member #

So I've been really lazy on the final chapter for this trip but for a good reason. I recently accepted a job out in Salt Lake City! After spending sometime in the area while on this trip I knew we would be moving there eventually just didn't know it would be so soon. In the next month we are gearing up to move out, then the adventures really begin

Reactions: Steve

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Inspiring trip. I made a decent trip before i deployed however, we stayed in hotels most of the time due to the wife being pregnant and my 7 year old isnt much for camping ha ha I will be doing this when I re deploy with my wife for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Mr_miyagisan

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
Excellent write-up! I'm digging your XJ for sure, and I know I'm not the only one... but the red hatch plays! I like it!

Reactions: Mr_miyagisan