Rank V

Explorer I

Phx, AZ
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

I'm looking at the Midlands MTX275, have a Tacoma, but don't want to put a hole in my sheetmetal. I see the DX Engineering MGC50 flat cable, is that a usable product for the GMRS range at 15 watts?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Try it with the original antenna first, it has plenty of cable to run under seats and out vent/wiring/drainage holes.

Reactions: cookiedough

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

It would work ok and appears to meet all the requirements but I would expect some signal loss especially at the frequencies GMRS uses.
There's bound to be a grommet in the firewall you could run coax through and do a fender mount antenna, a couple of screw holes on the backside of the fender won't hurt anything.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Comet antennas makes a nice clamp on hood mount (CP-5NMO) that is adjustable in all directions to plumb the antenna, and uses a short section of spaghetti coax that fits nicely between the hood and fender. Also the body of the coax fitting unscrews so you can thread the coax through a small hole or grommet in the fire wall without the need for cutting the end off and soldering on a new one. Have a couple of them on my WJ for many years and seem to hold up well. Tried the thru the window coax a long time ago, and was not happy with performance and did not last too long before it got damaged. Was also annoying having it hanging.