flapping tie down ends, some inovative new solutions?

• HTML tutorial

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
was wondering what different folks have done to get rid of those pesky loose tie down ends. any cool ideas outside the usual? the usual being tie it in a know or slip it under the strap.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If it's short I tuck it into the metal loop on the hook.

If it's long and holding down my POS kayak or Stanley gear box, I roll it up, put it under the loaded strap and tug it under, so the strap holds it in place. It might work loose, so.....

If I have my Ducati in the trucks bed, I roll up the extra strap and electrical tape it to the load strap. Won't go anywhere then. A loose strap fluttering in the wind will eat Italian paint.

Reactions: Delux2769

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I can't imagine anything simpler than tying the loose end around the ratchet or just tucking it under.

And why would I want to complicate the picture?

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
well there are these,
they kinda work. no straps at all. just wondering what else was out there that people have found or other ideas.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I try to stick with straps at least as wide as a seat belt.

Skinny 1" staps always tangle on me at the worst moment. Usually rain. Harbor Fraught has some large black straps that are quite good.

Reactions: Delux2769

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
I run the tag end back to the anchor point and use a 1/2 hitch to tie it off.

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

At work we usually tie them. If it's something I own, and it's going to live there a while like my traction boards, I cut them.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I dont know the name of the knot but I roll up the excess leaving some to pull through hole and wrap around the bundle once. Seems to work pretty well. Takes a little fine tuning to get rid of extra slack

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I use either short velcro straps cinched tight or some duct tape.... i usually roll or fold the excess and put a layer round it.... the weight is usually heavy enough to prevent it from flapping in the wind. Maybe a zip tie depending on how long/heavy

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

I got lucky and my new straps from rhino rack have a small velcro strap around the buckles for all the excess strap ends... Has been great on the roof rig above my head.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I like to wrap the loose end around the ratchet mechanism a few times then tie it to itself, when i carry my kayaks it looks like a 5 yr old did it there are straps everywhere but thats so i can quickly get em in and out at different spots around the lake. If it long haul or something thats going to be tied down for a while i knot the strap on itself a few times just so it wont blow loose.

Last edited: