Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Wednesday: Midday drive up to Flagpole Knob from the lake (starting at noon), then going down Union Springs road and then to Peter's Mill Run
Approximately 3 hours, of slightly more challenging driving at Flagpole Knob, about 1 hour on pavement and then about 1 hour of the PMR trail

Thursday: Section 3 of the MABDR
Long day of more diverse, but less challenging driving

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I wish I could! A little too short notice for me, plus I don't have any cold weather camping gear. I think I'll leave the overnight or weekend trips for after it warms up a bit :)
I might be up for a day-trip somewhere, though. I think the NJ Overland FB group has something planned for Sunday, but I still have to verify that.

Reactions: Dusther210

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Hmm. I sold I RTT and my new one isn't due in until May. But it's def. possible if I can find somewhere to sleep.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hmm. I sold I RTT and my new one isn't due in until May. But it's def. possible if I can find somewhere to sleep.
I’m trying to convince my wife we should pick up an RTT for this trip. If it happens we will have a spare ground tent.
I will say our ground tent is pretty awesome and cost 20$. LLOD did a review on it and he really liked it too

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
We're ground tent only. The Grand Cherokee has the spare under the cargo area, and I suspect it will end up getting relocated to the roof rack when we acquire one, and it will live up there for overlanding. Sometime I'd like to try one out to see how well my knees could handle going up and down that ladder (at 3am), and I don't even know if any RTT could support my weight easily.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I wish I could! A little too short notice for me, plus I don't have any cold weather camping gear. I think I'll leave the overnight or weekend trips for after it warms up a bit :)
I might be up for a day-trip somewhere, though. I think the NJ Overland FB group has something planned for Sunday, but I still have to verify that.
The plan is to go in April. Also I was camping in the same area on Thanksgiving and it wasn’t bad with my sleeping bag and some layers.

It’s warmer in April though ...isn’t it?

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
April might be doable if it's not too cold. No 30s or even low-40s for me, thanks. That said, If I'm in the area I want to do PMR for the Jeep Badge of Honor. My Grand needs some more bling =)

Abez2k20

Rank I

Traveler I

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
AM
Last Name
Bezos
Member #

I would be interested in joining in at least late March/April. I was there on December 30th with a small group of 4. the trail was a sheet of ice. Two of the rigs almost slipped off the trail and one spun perpendicular to the trail where his rear was almost hanging of the edge of the drop. it was exhilarating but definitely pucker inducing. I cant get any of those guys to hit the trail till it warms up a bit, i think they're traumatized. I usually round up a few of the NoVA locals to me and run Flagpole knob or peters mill.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I would be interested in joining in at least late March/April. I was there on December 30th with a small group of 4. the trail was a sheet of ice. Two of the rigs almost slipped off the trail and one spun perpendicular to the trail where his rear was almost hanging of the edge of the drop. it was exhilarating but definitely pucker inducing. I cant get any of those guys to hit the trail till it warms up a bit, i think they're traumatized. I usually round up a few of the NoVA locals to me and run Flagpole knob or peters mill.
Emojis don’t seem to work on here... but there’s no better word lol

Just to clarify, this trip is planned for 7 April 2021 (Flagpole Knob) and 8 April 2021 for MABDR

Attachments

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
April might be doable if it's not too cold. No 30s or even low-40s for me, thanks. That said, If I'm in the area I want to do PMR for the Jeep Badge of Honor. My Grand needs some more bling =)
PMR and Flagpole Knob are not far from each other and I certainly would like to do PMR also while I’m down there

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

PMR opened late last year because of COVID... I want to say like June. It was probably out of an abundance of caution but since the area is known for bringing in larger groups, they might delay again this year if COVID hasn't died down. Just might want to keep it in the maybe column if you throw it on the schedule.

Otherwise April is very hit and miss and you will see swings from the low 60s in the afternoon down to low 30s at night around FPK.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
PMR opened late last year because of COVID... I want to say like June. It was probably out of an abundance of caution but since the area is known for bringing in larger groups, they might delay again this year if COVID hasn't died down. Just might want to keep it in the maybe column if you throw it on the schedule.

Otherwise April is very hit and miss and you will see swings from the low 60s in the afternoon down to low 30s at night around FPK.
That is GREAT intel, where can we find the status of PMR? Is there a website?

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I am interested, provided it's safe to travel and I don't have to quarantine for 2 weeks, and the weather is decent.
The plan is to... “quarantine” for 2 days in VA and WV, which have no travel restrictions (as of now) and then back to NJ through Pennsylvania. Currently the rule is people coming from PA don’t have to quarantine after arriving in NJ

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
It's all moot in my case as I've been vaccinated, but gotta keep the Stasi happy. I'm more worried about freezing my nuts off in an April snow storm or something.