Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
I'm planning my next rig and I would like to know what everybody's opinion is on 2015 JKU versus 2010 FJ Cruiser. I'll post a couple pictures. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

For what it is worth:

FJ: Atrac is amazing, and it is s unique vehicle... Very Very capable and dependable. The doors offer decent access but not like a true 4 doors. Independent front suspension is not my favorite... but Toyota has a good one. The atrac and selectable locking options are good, the three windshield wipers have got to get old.. The roof stays put on the FJ but they can make a great pack mule up top for all your junk.

JKU: The streets are flooded with them, the aftermarket is nearly unlimited... and they have a full 4 doors. They do have solid axles, but not the toughest stuff on the base models. If you went this route get a rubicon for the 4.10 gears, lockers, sway bar disconnects, and D44 axles.... (For what it is worth part II) >> I have seen two of these catch fire at the fuse box in the last year. The removable top is not an RTT killer or any of that... plenty of rooftop option out there for the JKU.

This is a high-level overview, take from it what you will.

NOTE: There was an epic Jeep Commander build on here... look into that. Especially if you like V8 power.

Reactions: Winterpeg

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
Thanks that was pretty detailed. That's kind of what I'm running into seems like every JK you I look at that I like is 50 to 70,000 which is a lot of money for a jeep. You can take 2010 FJ and put 20 into it and having credible rig for half. Love the look of the FJ. Love the reliability FJ offers over wrangler. Yes I'm leaning toward an FJ.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
Anyone have any experience towing a tab outback addition trailer with an FJ.

Reactions: IronPercheron

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Toyota DOES make a good vehicle. For me, I prefer the Jeep but I am biased. I think that the availability of aftermarket parts should weigh heavily on this choice. Decide on what it is you WILL do, add in what you MIGHT do and see what parts and support are available. For me, I am not reinventing the wheel so a JKU is perfect for what I need.

I found this article for you:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/131-1005-toyota-fj-cruiser-vs-jeep-jk-wrangler/

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Anyone have any experience towing a tab outback addition trailer with an FJ.

No issues towing here.... The FJ is rated to tow 5000 lb.
I recommend electric brakes and the ability to adjust the brakes as you see fit (on the controller) if you are taking it offroad. In the sand the brakes just lock up on the trailer.
Any short wheelbase vehicle will not tow as nice as a long wheelbase truck... but it tows fine in my opinion.
IMG_20150722_080522.jpg

Reactions: ASNOBODY

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
No issues towing here.... The FJ is rated to tow 5000 lb.
I recommend electric brakes and the ability to adjust the brakes as you see fit (on the controller) if you are taking it offroad. In the sand the brakes just lock up on the trailer.
Any short wheelbase vehicle will not tow as nice as a long wheelbase truck... but it tows fine in my opinion.
View attachment 24422
Good to know, I'm definitely putting some sort of electric brake controller on it thanks

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
Toyota DOES make a good vehicle. For me, I prefer the Jeep but I am biased. I think that the availability of aftermarket parts should weigh heavily on this choice. Decide on what it is you WILL do, add in what you MIGHT do and see what parts and support are available. For me, I am not reinventing the wheel so a JKU is perfect for what I need.

I found this article for you:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/131-1005-toyota-fj-cruiser-vs-jeep-jk-wrangler/
Awesome article thanks

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I had an 07 FJ *picture below* Loved it, Loved the Atrac up front and the locking rear diff on it. It was capable to go anywhere, and I did go anywhere. Lots of kayaking trips and gear space with it. My 07 had developed a real bad transmission shudder going into over drive that was going to cost 3.5k to have fixed. My FJ had 200k miles on it so I opted to put the money toward a new vehicle. I picked up a 2014 JK Unlimited and am in the process of getting it set up and still miss my FJ. I have to say I have more leg room and cargo usable space in my JK over the FJ. They are both great vehicles and the aftermarket options are limitless on the Jeep. I am happy with it I have just traded out my soft top for a hard top and about to add a roof rack for some extra storage and a place to put my Oztent RV3 while traveling. If I had to do it again I think I would probably still go the route of the Jeep though, It's a tough call.

Reactions: Winterpeg

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
I had an 07 FJ *picture below* Loved it, Loved the Atrac up front and the locking rear diff on it. It was capable to go anywhere, and I did go anywhere. Lots of kayaking trips and gear space with it. My 07 had developed a real bad transmission shudder going into over drive that was going to cost 3.5k to have fixed. My FJ had 200k miles on it so I opted to put the money toward a new vehicle. I picked up a 2014 JK Unlimited and am in the process of getting it set up and still miss my FJ. I have to say I have more leg room and cargo usable space in my JK over the FJ. They are both great vehicles and the aftermarket options are limitless on the Jeep. I am happy with it I have just traded out my soft top for a hard top and about to add a roof rack for some extra storage and a place to put my Oztent RV3 while traveling. If I had to do it again I think I would probably still go the route of the Jeep though, It's a tough call.
Wow, it's such a hard choice. I guess only time will tell which I decide. Thank you all for your feedback.

Chon K3DHS

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Montgomery Village, MD
First Name
Chon
Last Name
Gann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K3DHS
It is always good to have choices and you really can't go wrong as long as you like what you drive...remember, "Its doesn't matter what your drive". With that said I really like the ford trucks, but I found a well cared for 2007 FJ a few years ago and I love it. Its been incredible fun and the rig has never let me down. There are plenty of Jeeps on the road so it is nice to have a unique ride like an FJ. You can find a great used FJ and sink the right money into mods, there is still plenty of aftermarket still available, and have change left in your pockets compared to a new Jeep with mods.

However, if space and storage are critical or you need "four doors" because of family then look at something besides and FJ. Finally, Toyota is a reliable ride for 200K plus miles.

Good luck on your choice, I hope you have fun with it.

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
It is always good to have choices and you really can't go wrong as long as you like what you drive...remember, "Its doesn't matter what your drive". With that said I really like the ford trucks, but I found a well cared for 2007 FJ a few years ago and I love it. Its been incredible fun and the rig has never let me down. There are plenty of Jeeps on the road so it is nice to have a unique ride like an FJ. You can find a great used FJ and sink the right money into mods, there is still plenty of aftermarket still available, and have change left in your pockets compared to a new Jeep with mods.

However, if space and storage are critical or you need "four doors" because of family then look at something besides and FJ. Finally, Toyota is a reliable ride for 200K plus miles.

Good luck on your choice, I hope you have fun with it.
Thanks

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Man, this was my delimma for quite a while (JKU vs. FJ) before I finally decided to pull the trigger on a JKU last August. I really like the Toyota for very specific reasons, and really like the JKU for slightly different, but equally important reasons. This is going to sound ridiculous but they were so even as to pro's and con's that what finally swayed my decision was that the Jeep aftermarket seemed to have a little better showing and I think there are just more opportunities to customize on the Jeep.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either, I'm pretty sure I would have been equaly happy had I chosen the Toyota.

Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: OverlandingPapa

Cemeb4dk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Aurora, Illinois
Member #

If 4 doors is a requirement, why not look at the 4 runner? More room than an fj, 4 usable doors and everything under hood and drive line is same as an fj. Plenty of aftermarket 4 runner parts. While I love my fj, the new 4runners look great in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G935P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Lindenwood

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
Man, this was my delimma for quite a while (JKU vs. FJ) before I finally decided to pull the trigger on a JKU last August. I really like the Toyota for very specific reasons, and really like the JKU for slightly different, but equally important reasons. This is going to sound ridiculous but they were so even as to pro's and con's that what finally swayed my decision was that the Jeep aftermarket seemed to have a little better showing and I think there are just more opportunities to customize on the Jeep.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either, I'm pretty sure I would have been equaly happy had I chosen the Toyota.

Good luck with your decision!
Yes, now I'm swaying towards jeep again. Who knows pretty soon though

Reactions: Craig M

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

In short, I prefer the Wrangler. Aftermarket is crazy. So many companies making Jeep stuff and a lot of it is pretty advanced. I also like the heritage, the look and the community. Ever hear of an FJ wave? Great resale value too. Mine blue books for about a thousand less than I bought it for in 2014, not counting the mods.

A little Jeep advice. If you're looking at a 2015, get a 2017. They'll be making them until the fall since the 18's are a late year change and you might score some sweet deals as dealers try to move the last ones to make room for the revamped 2018's. And the resale is so high, new doesn't cost that much more than recent used. Then you get the full warranty, a virgin rig that you know hasn't been tinkered with, etc.

Lastly, if you're planning on adding lockers to a Sport but not going crazy and swapping axles and stuff, just get the Rubicon. D44 upfront, 4:10's are optional, 4:1 transfer case, lockers, electronic sway bar disconnect all cost about $3000-3500 for the Rubi package but that stuff would cost you $8-10K in the after market.

OverlandingPapa

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Naples, FL
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Zucco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
overlandingpapa
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.