South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Maybe mid-Summer till Fall. Maybe starting in the Northern Rockies and slowly fishing and touring southward as the season progresses. Maybe spending a few days on the way out in the Black Hills NF. Since I have never been on a road trip longer than three weeks and have only fished a handful of spots in the Rockies there will be a learning curve and a lot of allowances for weather, water conditions, scenery, food, side trips, backtracking, nekkid women JK, forest fires, hot springs. breweries, trail conditions, and any other conditions that might need to be accounted for. Speed of travel is not a priority. Leisurely finding one great spot after another is a priority. Time is just a concept, right? Forty years in the workforce was just a dream? Right?

If there is anyone, or small group, out there that might want to meet up along the way for a few days of fishing and pondering the vagaries of life and the universe shoot me a message. I can be easily influenced when it comes to interesting destinations near water and away from crowds. Dispersed camping is generally better 90% of the time. I'm not even sure what the other 10% would be...hot shower, home cooking? Anyway, this is a serious attempt to begin an adventure that I have been contemplating for some time. I have been making a few notes of areas to explore but no firm itinerary. I have been acquiring most of the gear and some of the knowledge I think I need to stay flexible and mobile for an extended trip 2,000+ miles from home. And, mid-Summer seems like a good time to be in the Rockies, right? So, if there are any other liked minded adventurers with dubious goals and little fear of the unpredictable I would appreciate your ideers and location of your favorite fishing holes :grin:

Reactions: Road

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What are you fishing for? If your looking for catfish, gar, bass and striper I can put you on that in tx. Also many saltwater species.
Are you looking to bank fish, kayak or boat?
Salt or freshwater? Inshore or offshore?

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thanks for the invite! I want to get to S. Padre Is. at some point and do some surf fishing and also check out the Big Bend area. See some of that Hill Country too. I had a tour through Texas plotted if I make it during early Spring or maybe Fall. I've had this desire for twenty plus years to tour the Rockies and trout fish. Trying to beat the heat and humidity of these S. Carolina summers is the main goal. Fishing is just half of the excuse to be there. I'll fish for anything! In a mud puddle even! S.C. has about as many fishing opportunities as anywhere. I'm kind of spoiled in that respect. I really like saltwater, mostly inshore these days. I don't know Texas at all except for James Michener novels (and a few others) and a trip through the Dallas airport, LOL. Most of my fishing trips lately have turned into adventures of discovery into new territory. Always curious what's around the next bend. Fishing seems to take a distant second lately. I have a couple of boats but not planning to drag them around the country. Been looking at inflatables that are capable of a little drift fishing. There's some neat stuff out there. Not sure I have room for that either. Thanks to @Road I think I will eventually end up with an off-road van at some point to carry more toys and ninja camp even better. Thanks Road! For all your great and expensive ideers! LOL! You really have refined the essentials for remote camping and touring for me.

So, @Boostpowered, do you have any trips planned this year? Do you fish much? I see you are just east of Dallas. Looks like some nice country! Pack your kit and meet me in the Rockies! I need to get off my ass and finish my truck to carry mo stuff then I can head out. Or, maybe I'll just wing it with what I have. Who needs extra fuel, water, spare tire? Gas mileage sucked anyway.

Reactions: Road

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

Definitely check out the Crystal, Roaring Fork and Frying Pan rivers in Colorado. Great fishing and beautiful scenery. The Crystal mill is very scenic and a fun little drive. Lots of cool mountain towns and places to explore in the area.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Thanks for the invite! I want to get to S. Padre Is. at some point and do some surf fishing and also check out the Big Bend area. See some of that Hill Country too. I had a tour through Texas plotted if I make it during early Spring or maybe Fall. I've had this desire for twenty plus years to tour the Rockies and trout fish. Trying to beat the heat and humidity of these S. Carolina summers is the main goal. Fishing is just half of the excuse to be there. I'll fish for anything! In a mud puddle even! S.C. has about as many fishing opportunities as anywhere. I'm kind of spoiled in that respect. I really like saltwater, mostly inshore these days. I don't know Texas at all except for James Michener novels (and a few others) and a trip through the Dallas airport, LOL. Most of my fishing trips lately have turned into adventures of discovery into new territory. Always curious what's around the next bend. Fishing seems to take a distant second lately. I have a couple of boats but not planning to drag them around the country. Been looking at inflatables that are capable of a little drift fishing. There's some neat stuff out there. Not sure I have room for that either. Thanks to @Road I think I will eventually end up with an off-road van at some point to carry more toys and ninja camp even better. Thanks Road! For all your great and expensive ideers! LOL! You really have refined the essentials for remote camping and touring for me.

So, @Boostpowered, do you have any trips planned this year? Do you fish much? I see you are just east of Dallas. Looks like some nice country! Pack your kit and meet me in the Rockies! I need to get off my ass and finish my truck to carry mo stuff then I can head out. Or, maybe I'll just wing it with what I have. Who needs extra fuel, water, spare tire? Gas mileage sucked anyway.
I fish every weekend weather permitting, my wife and I do catfish tournaments all year round. Only big trip I plan going on this year will be a family offshore fishing trip in the gulf. Thanks for the invite but Overlanding as such has lost its allure to me now that everyone is doing it , I'm only doing offroad camping now if it's necessary.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I fish every weekend weather permitting, my wife and I do catfish tournaments all year round. Only big trip I plan going on this year will be a family offshore fishing trip in the gulf. Thanks for the invite but Overlanding as such has lost its allure to me now that everyone is doing it , I'm only doing offroad camping now if it's necessary.
Best bait for catfish around here is shrimp.